• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

No More Fruit Ever!

Nannee2-2

Hi everyone! At my 2nd post-op my nutritionist told me I should never eat fruit again. We were discussing my current issues with nausea and extreme fatigue and weakness. I mentioned trying to get more protein in by mixing it in with my smoothies. She mentioned how was I going to make smoothies without fruit? Someone please help me understand why? I'm really baffled as to how eating fruit in moderation is harmful for weight loss. I have followed my surgeon and nutritionist to the T thus far, but I'm going to eat fruit in moderation once my stomach heals more on the inside. I would appreciate insight/input from others concerning eating fruit after sleeve surgery. Thanks in advance. ☺

Never? Was she talking about a specific reason relating to your unique physiology? I don't know anyone who could survive this digestive change without fruit, even though you can certainly make smoothies without fruit. I really relied on applesauce and I still eat it today. I also was never forbidden fruit from day one. I mean come on. No bananas? That's bananas.

Please get a second opinion from a licensed nutritionist, especially one who treats people following bariatric surgery.

I just remembered that I was forbidden citrus fruit. But that was only for the first 6 months or so. I could drink orange and grapefruit juice but I was advised against it because it is kind of harsh on your digestive system.

Never? Was she talking about a specific reason relating to your unique physiology? I don't know anyone who could survive this digestive change without fruit, even though you can certainly make smoothies without fruit. I really relied on applesauce and I still eat it today. I also was never forbidden fruit from day one. I mean come on. No bananas? That's bananas.

Please get a second opinion from a licensed nutritionist, especially one who treats people following bariatric surgery.
Thanks for your input! I was completely baffled by her statement not to "ever" eat fruit. By the way, she is supposed to be a licensed nutritionists. I have already decided...I'm going to eat fruit! I'm also going to re-visit the conversation on my next visit. Just to be sure I heard her correctly. And no it was not pertaining to any physiology issues.

I hate to encourage something against doctor's and/or licensed nutritionist orders but I do have a problem with not eating fruit. If it were me, I would still eat fruit - just sayin'. I eat fruit almost every day and I started early on. I would agree that perhaps some fruits -in the beginning- may be a little too much for your restructured digestive system, but not having fruit is denying your body good essential vitamins, antioxidants and fiber.

Is this same nutritionist telling you to drink Crystal Light (so many do), protein bars and protein shakes? While these all have their place especially early post-surgery, I am more concerned about all the additives of those items. BTW, I don't abstain from them but I've cut down on them as I try to get more of my nutrition from better sources now that I am over 10 months out.

Unless they can give you a really good reason, specifically to your personal situation, I have found from listening to several bariatric doctors say fruit is ok. I don't know if you have had the sleeve or bypass and that might make a difference as to when you can introduce fruits back in. To start, I would go with cooked rather than raw and see how that goes such as applesauce or canned fruit in natural juices. Please do update us when you talk with them again, I am curious as to what they say.

But I think it's important to tell any clinician or nutritionist that you won't comply and you want a second opinion. In the first place, those of us who choose this surgical path MUST follow post-op nutrition by the letter. So if someone says something wonky, challenge him or her. If the situation still doesn't make sense, go over his or her head.

I've experienced malpractice in my life and the best thing to do is shine a light on the situation. If this nutritionist is biased or just ignorant, he or she could be hurting a lot of people. It has to stop.

Logically, we feel certain this person is wrong. But what if the next patient doesn't, and suffers from bad or dangerous advice? Shouldn't we stem the flood of misinformation relating to WLS? There's so much b.s. out there, and we have the power to cancel it because we know better.

Speak up and eat that fruit, unless a qualified professional gives a scientific reason that proves you shouldn't.

I hate to encourage something against doctor's and/or licensed nutritionist orders but I do have a problem with not eating fruit. If it were me, I would still eat fruit - just sayin'. I eat fruit almost every day and I started early on. I would agree that perhaps some fruits -in the beginning- may be a little too much for your restructured digestive system, but not having fruit is denying your body good essential vitamins, antioxidants and fiber.

Is this same nutritionist telling you to drink Crystal Light (so many do), protein bars and protein shakes? While these all have their place especially early post-surgery, I am more concerned about all the additives of those items. BTW, I don't abstain from them but I've cut down on them as I try to get more of my nutrition from better sources now that I am over 10 months out.

Unless they can give you a really good reason, specifically to your personal situation, I have found from listening to several bariatric doctors say fruit is ok. I don't know if you have had the sleeve or bypass and that might make a difference as to when you can introduce fruits back in. To start, I would go with cooked rather than raw and see how that goes such as applesauce or canned fruit in natural juices. Please do update us when you talk with them again, I am curious as to what they say.
Thanks so much JudyNY...I wholeheartedly agree with your response! I was thinking the same thing....fruits have essential vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. And yes she is pushing Crystal Light and protein shakes. I have been recuperating fairly well from my gastric sleeve except for really bad nausea and just overall physical weakness. I am only getting about 25 oz. of fluids per day and maybe 10 oz. of protein due to the nausea. It has been horrible and the Dr has given me until May 12th to get my fluids and protein intake up or I will be hospitalized for IV intake. And you are so correct because Applesauce is one of the foods that help settle the "flip-flopping" sensation in my stomach.

But I think it's important to tell any clinician or nutritionist that you won't comply and you want a second opinion. In the first place, those of us who choose this surgical path MUST follow post-op nutrition by the letter. So if someone says something wonky, challenge him or her. If the situation still doesn't make sense, go over his or her head.

I've experienced malpractice in my life and the best thing to do is shine a light on the situation. If this nutritionist is biased or just ignorant, he or she could be hurting a lot of people. It has to stop.

Logically, we feel certain this person is wrong. But what if the next patient doesn't, and suffers from bad or dangerous advice? Shouldn't we stem the flood of misinformation relating to WLS? There's so much b.s. out there, and we have the power to cancel it because we know better.

Speak up and eat that fruit, unless a qualified professional gives a scientific reason that proves you shouldn't.
Hi Dianeseattle, thanks so much for your response to my post! I did tell her I was going to eat fruit especially since the fruit would be helpful in helping me improve my protein intake (whey protein) in my smoothies, duh! I'm definitely going to challenge her at my next appointment because as soon as she said it, I felt like there was something just not right about her statement. Maybe the first month or so....but forever. No ma'am. If she still says I shouldn't ever eat it then I will seek a second opinion.

I will flat out say that your nutritionist is completely wrong, I would get an opinion from a different dietician. Reality and the science doesn't support that approach. It will not have any negative effect on your progress to eat a variety of fruit once your stomach has healed. It's completely ridiculous.

Thanks for your input! I was completely baffled by her statement not to "ever" eat fruit. By the way, she is supposed to be a licensed nutritionists. I have already decided...I'm going to eat fruit! I'm also going to re-visit the conversation on my next visit. Just to be sure I heard her correctly. And no it was not pertaining to any physiology issues.
My nutritionist advised if I do choose to eat fruit, to pair it with a protein (ie apple with PB or cheese, berries with cottage cheese)

As far as fruit goes I was told to stay away from the ones with acid. Especially citrus. Tomato are no no too. No chili no taco no fun. You mention the nausea I had a lot of discomfort with my stomach feeling unsettled After eating. Portion size and whey protein are my specific problems. Got the portion sizes but switched to soy protein. Barely any unsettled tummy in the last month. My surgery was 2/15.

Missy, do you like PB in celery?

Speaking of celery... I peel mine on the backside of the rib, removing the hard threads. I hate them getting stuck in my teeth. Sometimes I'll cut a stalk in half lengthwise and peel that skin off, too

Naked celery is so sumptuous!

Missy, do you like PB in celery?

Speaking of celery... I peel mine on the backside of the rib, removing the hard threads. I hate them getting stuck in my teeth. Sometimes I'll cut a stalk in half lengthwise and peel that skin off, too

Naked celery is so sumptuous!
My bf really likes pb & celery. And naked celery just sounds so naughty. LOL!

I do like PB on celery. I do the same thing, Diane. I cannot take those strings!! But I love celery. And PB and Banana are the BEST!! Roni, I can't believe you were told no tomato!! So sad. I was eating turkey chili in my soft food phase. I would not be happy if they told me no tomato!

Back