• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Non-Scale Victories

Texnoble

We all experience some weight scale anxiety. Many of us have gone through stalls where the scale just won't budge. All the time our body is still changing, adapting and shifting throughout the weight loss. Let's make a list of NSV that we have recently or fondly remember! I know many of them are sprinkled throughout the forum.

• My doctor told me at my last follow up that I "exude health".
  • Most clothes that I have held onto from past weight losses are now too big!!! :)
  • Ankle & hip pain are gone.
  • No more double-chin.
  • Getting the a hint of a collar-bone.
  • Stairs are no longer a dread.
  • Wore a size large sundress today.
  • Feel so good that I'm smiling more.
  • Confident that I'll actually make it to my goal weight this time!

So I have this old fashioned milk jug that I filled with slips of paper at the beginning of this journey. Each slip of paper contains a non-scale goal that I wanted to achieve through this entire process. I have them there to look back on to see how far I've come and to remind me of the determination and optimism I felt at the beginning as well as the little things I am looking forward to that were motivating to make this change (great for those times I am struggling with why I am doing this). I haven't looked at them since March but decided I needed a pick me up last night. Was thrilled to see that I have accomplished my first goal even before having the surgery. I have altered my eating habits so drastically that I am no longer diabetic (and as a bonus decreased my cholesterol by almost half of what it was!). I can't wait until I can pull more of these out and post on my bulletin board of success :D

NSV's make it all worth it don't they? Let's see if I remember some...

The first time I crossed my legs, like an actual normal woman I didn't realize it at first, then when I did I had a 'whoa' moment. :p
I didn't step on a scale after surgery for 3 months...when I did it said I lost 70 lbs...I bought a new one thinking it had broken, nope lol
I had my favorite pair of jeans drop off me while getting dressed...bittersweet as I love those jeans...but an NSV nonetheless
Had a friend I hadn't seen in awhile tell me they didn't recognize me at all, that I looked completely different :D
I'm no longer afraid to sit in a plastic chair thinking it will break ^~^
I'm able to jog now without getting winded and enjoy exercise

I have not had the surgery yet but last Friday I decided to wear a pair of pants that I thought would be snug on me. I do this so that I stay away from all the unhealthy choices. When I put them on, they fit perfect. I love that moment when you realize you have an achievement. It always makes me a little sassy and I have to check the mirror a couple of times.

We all experience some weight scale anxiety. Many of us have gone through stalls where the scale just won't budge. All the time our body is still changing, adapting and shifting throughout the weight loss. Let's make a list of NSV that we have recently or fondly remember! I know many of them are sprinkled throughout the forum.
  • I can cross my legs completely
  • My clothing size is entirely single digit now
  • The fat pad bump on my upper back is GONE
  • I look younger than I did 10 years ago
  • I enjoy trying clothes on
  • My husband can pick me up like it's nothing
  • I don't pull at my clothes all the time to keep them from rolling up over my rolls
  • I can walk without my thighs "swooshing"
  • My adult son saw a picture of me and commented that I am literally half the woman I was before my journey started
  • I can see bones in my ankles

I am only 10 days out, but I lost 68 lbs pre op and I can tell you I have had some NSV for sure!
  1. I can walk more than 50 feet without gasping for air or an inhaler and without sweating.
  2. I can place my feet on my lap to tie my shoes without using my hand to lift my leg.
  3. I can freely wipe my own @$$. It was getting a bit difficult for a minute.
  4. I can wash my bum without twinging muscles in my back.
  5. I fit in a BOOTH.
I am SO excited for the bigger NSV's like crossing my legs, shopping at a clothes store, not needing a seatbelt extender (or 2nd seat) on a plane. Not worrying about chairs holding me or sitting too close to someone.

Last edited:
Back