• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Non-Scale Victories

I can totally relate to many of the mentioned NSV's like not using the seat belt extender on a recent airplane trip. Better yet...I got a window seat for the first time in forever. I wasn't ashamed to get out of my seat and haul my big butt down the aisle with apologies for bumping into everyone!

We all experience some weight scale anxiety. Many of us have gone through stalls where the scale just won't budge. All the time our body is still changing, adapting and shifting throughout the weight loss. Let's make a list of NSV that we have recently or fondly remember! I know many of them are sprinkled throughout the forum.
I’m three 1/2 months out and scale is not moving especially since incorporating exercise! Is it me? I’m feeling like a failure

I’m three 1/2 months out and scale is not moving especially since incorporating exercise! Is it me? I’m feeling like a failure
What type of exercises are you doing? I have been running and every time I increase my distance or my speed, my muscles start growing and strengthening. When that happens, my weight loss is less because the weight of my muscles is increasing while the weight of my fat is decreasing and muscle weighs more than fat. So while the scale isn't moving as much as I would normally like, I do see the difference in the fit of my clothes and the measurements I take monthly.

Even if that is not the case for you, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! You have started an incredibly hard journey and this is one of the bumps along the way. Don't let it get you down. You may not be losing weight right now, but at least you aren't gaining! Your weight loss will resume if you are eating the right kind of foods, not too much of those foods, and exercising regularly. Take a look at what you are eating. Do you still track your food intake? If not, try that for a couple of days and see if you can find out where the discrepancy lies. Good luck!

What type of exercises are you doing? I have been running and every time I increase my distance or my speed, my muscles start growing and strengthening. When that happens, my weight loss is less because the weight of my muscles is increasing while the weight of my fat is decreasing and muscle weighs more than fat. So while the scale isn't moving as much as I would normally like, I do see the difference in the fit of my clothes and the measurements I take monthly.

Even if that is not the case for you, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!!! You have started an incredibly hard journey and this is one of the bumps along the way. Don't let it get you down. You may not be losing weight right now, but at least you aren't gaining! Your weight loss will resume if you are eating the right kind of foods, not too much of those foods, and exercising regularly. Take a look at what you are eating. Do you still track your food intake? If not, try that for a couple of days and see if you can find out where the discrepancy lies. Good luck!
Thank you sooo much for the encouragement I appreciate it very much! I will start tracking what I’m trying to eat! Thx again

Thank you! I had been craving sugar and was eating gummy bears by servings my sugar craving was crazy thx for the encouragement I needed it very mych

I know these posts were a couple of months back but here’s mine
i can fit in a booth at a restaurant
I can wear some of my shirts I haven’t worn in years
i‘m down 4 pants sizes
I can walk without getting out of breath
going up and down stairs got easier
now that someone mentioned it my shoes do feel looser
i don’t need a seat belt extension when I fly

Very rarely am I laying on the ground, but when I was playing with my nephew this weekend, we had a bit of a wrestling match lol. I ended up on the ground and realized, the fat from my chest was no longer sliding down to rest on my neck. It sounds crazy but I have always hated laying flat because I felt like my fat was trying to choke me. And realizing that, I then tried child's pose in yoga and realized my stomach no longer rests on the floor and it allowed me to go fully into the stretch. The little things make all the difference.

Very rarely am I laying on the ground, but when I was playing with my nephew this weekend, we had a bit of a wrestling match lol. I ended up on the ground and realized, the fat from my chest was no longer sliding down to rest on my neck. It sounds crazy but I have always hated laying flat because I felt like my fat was trying to choke me. And realizing that, I then tried child's pose in yoga and realized my stomach no longer rests on the floor and it allowed me to go fully into the stretch. The little things make all the difference.
That's a great one, my boobies used to choke me too, I didn't notice when that stopped!

There are so many non scale victories I can't even count them.
  • First and foremost for me had to be being able to cross my legs at the knee and even pull my leg over my thigh to my pelvis while my legs are crossed.
  • Fashion choices, able to wear beautiful clothes I had saved
  • Smaller size Levi's
  • able to able to zip boots over my calves
  • food is insanely enjoyable
  • carrying a carrying a week's worth of supplies in a backpack so I can go on a long hike in the mountains
  • feeling like a face in the crowd instead of sticking out like a sore thumb
  • Copping a 'tude around someone who was previously disgusted by me
  • Looking better naked
  • no shame when meeting my son's friends. One day a snotty girl was having a snarky argument with my kid and her rejoinder was "Well at least my mom doesn't weigh 500 lb." Uh... Shut up?
  • increased confidence when going for a job interview or to make an estimate on a landscaping or painting job, or any risk
  • as a writer, I spend much less composing tragic Tales and a much more time on self-help and positive affirmations. I look for something I can take in every single day
  • Being a member of this group and meeting all you fabulous people. I feel the warmth of your support.
  • never never ever feeling like I have eaten so much food I'm going to burst and having to lay down until it passes.

Back