• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Not your grandma's coleslaw

Pat99

This is a light, crispy, sweet and tangy slaw. Best when made 24 hours in advance. DO NOT ADD ANY SALT to the recipe otherwise the cabbage will become soft and lose crispiness. If you like your slaw salty then add to your portion after serving.

NOT YOUR GRANDMA’S COLESLAW

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 medium head cabbage finely shredded-about 6 or 7 cups. You can also use equivalent amount of bagged slaw mix.
1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
1 very small green onion or shallot very finely chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes or 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
2 or 3 tablespoons raisins or 1/3 cup crushed pineapple in juice (drained well)
1/2 cup water
2 or 3 tablespoons white vinegar
8 packets no calorie sweetener (more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Dash of pepper

METHOD:
Shred cabbage, chop carrots and onion. Mix together in large non-reactive bowl (glass, plastic or stainless steel). Toss in raisins and parsley. DO NOT ADD ANY SALT.

Place water into shaker type container or non-reactive bowl and add vinegar, sweetener, ground ginger and pepper. Shake or mix well and pour over cabbage mixture in large bowl. Toss well.

At this point I recommend transferring the completed slaw and dressing into a zip lock type plastic bag but you can also leave in the bowl. Allow to marinade in refrigerator at least overnight but 24 hours is much better. Turn bag over or mix if in bowl a couple of times while marinating. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid before serving.

Last edited:
I don't care for raisins myself but they add some flavor, texture and sweetness to the slaw. You could use 1/4 cup of crushed pineapple instead if you prefer. Of course you can leave both out or make any other adjustments to suit your taste :) Let me know how it comes out.

WOOO HOOO Pat i never thought of Pineapple, OH I'm so going to add that instead, I will let you know how it turns out once i make it, thank you so much for the suggestion

OK, you convinced me. I'm going to revise the recipe and add pineapple to it *LOL* If this wasn't a bariatric friendly recipe I would probably have left out the onions and added marshmallows and coconut *LOL*
I usually put crushed pineapple in my traditional creamy style coleslaw so I know it's good but since this recipe marinates for a long time I'm not sure how the texture will be from the enzymes that are in pineapple.

Very true Pineapple can break it down, well add it right before you serve it, thats what im going to do when i make it.

Back