• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Old bypass, but new here

Welcome to the group. I hope you can find what you're looking for I am almost 2 years out, and I've heard it gets harder to maintain and certainly harder to lose any gain after that 2-year mark.

What changes have you started to make so far to turn things around and get back on track?

Welcome to the group! I am currently working off a regain, so I am right there with you. I've just complete my first week challenge and weigh in tomorrow. I hope the scale will be kind!

One of the things that I had to do was admit to myself that I was doing far too much eating at night after dinner. Specifically binging. I've cut out all nighttime eating because I know it just leads me to want to eat more. Plus I have been more careful on what I eat during the day. But that's me. Is there anything that you want to work on in particular that you find needs work? Maybe we can give you some suggestions?

It's funny how all those bad foods just digest so easily when a roast chicken can cause stomach pains after an ounce or two. My husband recently had the sleeve and I decided to be supportive and do the liquid diet with him. (Not all the way .. my soup had chunks lol). I thought I'd hate it but it really helped me to regain some focus I felt I was losing. So maybe think about doing the early post op diet that your program gave you for a quick push back in the right direction.

I agree. Slider foods can do so much damage. And you don't sound winey, this is a real struggle. I find the mind can really take over with the success of it all. My mindset had gone astray and it showed. It isn't easy getting it back on track but I feel I have better control right now. Affirmations help.

My problem is I get hung up when eating my meal. After I get over that, then I am reallyhungry! I tend to eat what goes down easily usually that is not what I should eat. I have been dealing with a fib . I sound whining, don’t mean too just looking for help to push me the right way!
Try eating the tiniest of bites. And chew each bite to liquid after putting down your fork.

My problem is I get hung up when eating my meal. After I get over that, then I am reallyhungry! I tend to eat what goes down easily usually that is not what I should eat. I have been dealing with a fib . I sound whining, don’t mean too just looking for help to push me the right way!
Hi Tricianne. I am almost 10 months post-surgery with the gastric bypass. I have been struggling lately also. I have increased my daily water amount to about double the recommended 64ozs, to around 128ozs. I also am drinking one protein shake early in the day, after my 16ozs of Metamucil and some plain water. Staying very hydrated and keeping enough protein in your diet may help you hold off on less than healthy food choices. Best of luck to you!

Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions. I know that I eat slower watching TV than at the table eating with anyone else!! Go figure! I have a 50 something year old son that I know that I cannot eat at the same table with him! He eats so fast and it becomes a race... unintentionally! I lost 13 pounds on my pre diet program and I think I will look that up!

Welcome to the group! I am currently working off a regain, so I am right there with you. I've just complete my first week challenge and weigh in tomorrow. I hope the scale will be kind!

One of the things that I had to do was admit to myself that I was doing far too much eating at night after dinner. Specifically binging. I've cut out all nighttime eating because I know it just leads me to want to eat more. Plus I have been more careful on what I eat during the day. But that's me. Is there anything that you want to work on in particular that you find needs work? Maybe we can give you some suggestions?
I hope the scale was kind! it will make this week easier. I do a lot of mindless bites not necessarily binge eating at night. usually when I eat a good meal I do not eat much later. I have had bilateral hip and knee replacements, with back trouble. I walk with a rollator, because I fall real easy. Where di you find your challenge?

I hope the scale was kind! it will make this week easier. I do a lot of mindless bites not necessarily binge eating at night. usually when I eat a good meal I do not eat much later. I have had bilateral hip and knee replacements, with back trouble. I walk with a rollator, because I fall real easy. Where di you find your challenge?
Oh the scale was as I lost 6 lbs but tomorrow's weigh-in will be a different story. Last week wasn't all that great. Quite a few meals out or take in because we had plumbing problems and that just led me to be careless. But I still feel I am doing better about fighting the binge eating so I am not right back where I was. I've got to get better at reeling myself in if I get sloppy. The challenge was just something I put on myself, not something I found somewhere.

I had bypass surgery nearly 7 years ago. I have been gaining weight lately. I want to turn this around and I thought I might find support on this site.
I'm on the same boat. I'm almost 6 years out. And have gained 18lbs. It's really upsetting. I loved getting dressed up do my hair and makeup. Now I feel like why bother. I know I'm just feeling sorry for myself. There's alot worse things that could happen to me. But I just want that same feeling of succeeding. So I hope to get support from this group. After reading other members concerns. I know I'm not alone. We can do this.

I feel your pain! I think this Covid ordeal has helped all of us get off track. I moved just before so the place I would go out to get exercise changed. I would go to the malls and run around to find different project supplies, but now I am long way from any malls, only Walmart!!!
I do not get excited going there! I am now hoping when swimming weather gets here, I will get in the pool! It is hard for me to get out of the pool! I am so lazy!!

I completely agree that maintaining or losing a regain gets more difficult the further out you are from surgery. Continuing to utilize my daily tracker, which I started when I began my medically-supervised diet pre-surgery, as well as daily weigh-ins, help me to stay focused and allow me to catch any small weight gains before they get out of control. If I’m struggling, I refer to my tracker notebook, find a week when I did well, and note what I ate and drank, as well as how much exercise I logged. I’ll try to replicate that successful week, which usually helps me regain control and get back on track.

I feel your pain! I think this Covid ordeal has helped all of us get off track. I moved just before so the place I would go out to get exercise changed. I would go to the malls and run around to find different project supplies, but now I am long way from any malls, only Walmart!!!
I do not get excited going there! I am now hoping when swimming weather gets here, I will get in the pool! It is hard for me to get out of the pool! I am so lazy!!
Same here. I walk my dogs. But I know it's not the same.. I do have a bowflex in my bedroom that I used it faithfully for the first 4 years. Then slowly I just started to find excuses. Now I hang my good sweaters on it to air dry. Lol but seriously I need to get back on that too. Looking back I'm starting to see a pattern on all the things that I'm slacking. I need to figure all this out. It's hard and the people who know that I had weight loss surgery are the worst. I've had some say right to my face. Oh you gained some weight back. But didn't you have the surgery.

I completely agree that maintaining or losing a regain gets more difficult the further out you are from surgery. Continuing to utilize my daily tracker, which I started when I began my medically-supervised diet pre-surgery, as well as daily weigh-ins, help me to stay focused and allow me to catch any small weight gains before they get out of control. If I’m struggling, I refer to my tracker notebook, find a week when I did well, and note what I ate and drank, as well as how much exercise I logged. I’ll try to replicate that successful week, which usually helps me regain control and get back on track.
That's a really good idea. I never kept a journal. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks . Wish me luck.

Hi Stella -

You may also want to include how you're feeling in the journal. I've been writing in a journal since my very first WLS appointment. It really helps me - my mind set - when I can look back and read everything I ate, drank, exercised, and my frame of mind that day.

It has been very helpful when I'm having a bad day to look at previous bad days. I always write whatever is going on that day for a reference point. This was written 2 weeks ago - "Got up long before dawn ever showed her crack. It's just too early. LOVE what my offspring have done to my kitchen. Damn dishes in the sink - food on the counters - shit all over my fucking kitchen table." it was this moment that sent me tearing through the house telling everyone to get their asses up and clean up my damn kitchen.

One of my serious pet peeves - leaving my kitchen in a mess, dirty dishes scattered to hell and back, food wrappers on the kitchen table, in the chairs, unknown sticky shit on my fridge handles..... When I went to bed the kitchen was CLEAN. My youngest said why are you yelling its 6:10 in the morning? I said walk with me - it was her, my recently married daughter, and a friend of my youngest daughter that's living with us (another nightmare for another time). I walked them all to the kitchen. They just looked at me - I REALLY looked at them. I don't think they blinked or breathed until the kitchen was clean.

Things like this can impact your mind set and it could cause an off day of eating. Just my thoughts on it.

Lol. What a day. Sounds like you have your hands full. You must have a huge journal. I haven't started yet. I wanted to go out and pick up a cute girly notebook. But where I live is pouring . And I don't see it end anytime soon. I have two adult children 30 and 21 . And ofcourse a husband . Most of the day I'm alone. They have their jobs and my son is a full time student. If I was to write everything that goes on it will be very short. What I'm going to consitrate on is what I eat and drink. And how I feel. And pay more attention when I go off and grab a chip. And try to write down what was happening or what I was thinking of when I reached for a chip. That's my plan. Your journal sounds like something I would love to reade very day. Lol

Hi Stella -

You may also want to include how you're feeling in the journal. I've been writing in a journal since my very first WLS appointment. It really helps me - my mind set - when I can look back and read everything I ate, drank, exercised, and my frame of mind that day.

It has been very helpful when I'm having a bad day to look at previous bad days. I always write whatever is going on that day for a reference point. This was written 2 weeks ago - "Got up long before dawn ever showed her crack. It's just too early. LOVE what my offspring have done to my kitchen. Damn dishes in the sink - food on the counters - shit all over my fucking kitchen table." it was this moment that sent me tearing through the house telling everyone to get their asses up and clean up my damn kitchen.

One of my serious pet peeves - leaving my kitchen in a mess, dirty dishes scattered to hell and back, food wrappers on the kitchen table, in the chairs, unknown sticky shit on my fridge handles..... When I went to bed the kitchen was CLEAN. My youngest said why are you yelling its 6:10 in the morning? I said walk with me - it was her, my recently married daughter, and a friend of my youngest daughter that's living with us (another nightmare for another time). I walked them all to the kitchen. They just looked at me - I REALLY looked at them. I don't think they blinked or breathed until the kitchen was clean.

Things like this can impact your mind set and it could cause an off day of eating. Just my thoughts on it.
And people call me crazy for wanting a clean damn kitchen!!! How about you just don't be slobs and clean up your mess???
I am on the same page as you here, girl! I am a clean freak, but the kitchen is my high stress point.

And people call me crazy for wanting a clean damn kitchen!!! How about you just don't be slobs and clean up your mess???
I am on the same page as you here, girl! I am a clean freak, but the kitchen is my high stress point.
my kitchen looks like a bunch of drunk goblins break in every day and make themselves food with no arms. But it's because I have 4 kids 10 and under and lemmetellyou - I've cried before.

Back