• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

OMG...I'm going bald!!!

Hello Friends,
I have read that we may experience hair loss somewhere between 3 and 9 months. It has been 2 1/2 months and just in the past week my hair is falling out by the handfuls...I am afraid to shampoo or come it. I'm thinking about saving it and making a wig :rolleyes: I probably should change my profile pic...LOL

In addition to all my required vitamins I am taking 1000 mcg of Biotin daily. I did read that there is no medical proof that Biotin helps hair loos. If any of you experienced hair loss, I am interested in what you took for it and what dosage.

Also, I know this is not the forum for this but about two weeks ago I had my first epidural for my back pain and I read mixed comments that this may cause hair loss. Look forward to hearing from you. Good luck on your weight loss journey! Hugs, Nancy

Nancy, I did experience hair loss for about 3 months. I took Biotin, 5000mcg and it helped stop the loss. That was the only change I made. As for the epidural possibly causing hair loss, you should confirm with your Doc. Let us know how it's going.

Frank

:cool:

Nancy I have lost a lot of hair as well. I had very thick beautiful hair. But it's a part of the surgery. They should have told you that it will happen. It will stop, just take Biotin. But consult with your doctor about what amount would be good for you. Good Luck on your new journey!!

Nancy, I had a great deal of hair loss this year after having been in the hospital and having lots of different meds and anesthesia. My hair literally came out in fistfuls. It's very scary. I consumed a large bottle of Hair Skin and Nails with no result, and then my hairdresser gave me Nioxin shampoo and Nioxin conditioner. That did the trick, after just a few days of using it.

I tell my clients to take biotin and it helps them. I take prenatal and protein.
My hair is coming back in. But I am a hairstylist. So I am
Able to cut my hair to allow the fullest illusion.

Thanks Frank for taking the time to write me back. I amped up the mcgs and I purchased 10,000. Hope it works. Good luck as you continue on your journey. Nancy

Hi Laura,
Thanks for writing me back. Yes, my doctor did tell me about hair loss and the staff suggested I take Biotin. However, they didn't tell me what dose. I was only taking 1,000 mcgs daily but I just purchased 10,000 mcgs. I hope it helps! Wow I see you are almost to your goal...WTG and good luck on your journey. Nancy

Hi Karenina,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it is scary. My doctor's staff suggested either Hair, Skin, and Nail or Biotin. I went with Biotin but only 1,000 mcgs per day. I just purchased maximum strength 10,000 mcgs per day. I am going to try Nioxin. Thanks for the tip. Good luck on your journey. Nancy

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your response. Lucky you that you are a hairstylist!! I thought about a hair cut but I thought I should wait a couple of more weeks and see how it looks because I do have thick hair. I have been doing a lot of reading about protein and I am going to address it with my doctor on the 6th. Good luck on your journey. Nancy

I have not lost my hair something that scared me to death. As you see in the pictures I have long hair. I use skin nail and hair I take 2 3 times a day. and Biotin and I have my hair foiled so its not on the roots. I take all my vitamins and protein Biotin Shampoo is great & conditioner. I also use a product called Biotin & collage thick and full amplifying lotion. its made by Organix and you use a dime size or so depending on length etc. Use it dry or wet hair. It swells great and works great. Not to high either. I think I found mine a target. It dries quickly I put in on the roots and sometimes work it through it has several vitamins in it as well. I wish you luck and hope it helps you
:)

Back