• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One month out today!

penelope

Well it's one month today! I think I'm doing great. Wish I was losing faster but I really had almost a 2 weeks standstill because of protein issues. I've gotten that straight for now and the losing kicked back in.

The best thing I have learned so far is protein and water are the key. What the post-op folks tell the pre-op folks is spot on. I learned this by experience when I couldn't get the protein drinks down. I got so weak and barely drank anything either. Didn't lose any weight because I suppose I went into starvation mode. Thank goodness for all of the threads that answer many questions. I couldn't have gotten this far without all the great advice and shared stories here.

The other thing I learned is, how hard it is to eat and chew slow! I forget at least once a day! Does one get used to it after time? I'm wondering if I should get a baby fork? I do pretty good with a spoon but food with a fork is hard for me. I will say if I eat to fast and have to stop I will wait a bit and finish the protein instead of being done.

Thank you everyone for making this new me easier!

Hi, I am 5 weeks out. I have a very hard time remembering to eat slowly and chew thoroughly. Last week I took a bite of ham that I knew was too big, but I figured that I would chew it really well and it would be ok. Well I was distracted by what I was reading at the time and of course old habits took over and I swallowed it way before I should have. For the next 45 min all was ok. Just felt a little too full. Then, the real pain started. I was in agony for the next hour. Severe pain in my pouch. Just about to ask my husband to take me to the ER, it started to let up. I was sure I was going to have to be scoped and the ham plucked out of my pouch. Believe me, lesson learned!

Hi Penelope, your doing great, we all have troubl at the begining, eventually over time you will get used to chewing up your food real well and have your portion sizes down to what you can eat, that takes more time I think. I always use a small plate and eat real small servings I didn't have any troubl using my same flatware but others have switched to baby spoons and forks so that may work better until you get used to it. :cool: Tom

Back