• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One week to go

My surgery is one week from today on April 12th. The liquid diet is torture! At least I only have to do it for 10 days. Two flavors of the powdered shakes were kinda nasty tasting, so I was able to return them and pick new flavors. Peanut butter flavor is my favorite so far. The protein shakes are nothing like the Slim Fast shakes that I used to drink when I was on a diet. Sometimes I burp a lot after drinking a shake, like indigestion. Who knew Jello would taste so good? It’s heavenly! I wasn’t expecting to feel so nauseous and weak. My surgery cannot get here soon enough. I am ready.

By the way, I did the math and my surgery is exactly 77 days after my first appointment or consultation. I feel pretty lucky and blessed that my surgery is happening so quickly.

My surgery is one week from today on April 12th. The liquid diet is torture! At least I only have to do it for 10 days. Two flavors of the powdered shakes were kinda nasty tasting, so I was able to return them and pick new flavors. Peanut butter flavor is my favorite so far. The protein shakes are nothing like the Slim Fast shakes that I used to drink when I was on a diet. Sometimes I burp a lot after drinking a shake, like indigestion. Who knew Jello would taste so good? It’s heavenly! I wasn’t expecting to feel so nauseous and weak. My surgery cannot get here soon enough. I am ready.

By the way, I did the math and my surgery is exactly 77 days after my first appointment or consultation. I feel pretty lucky and blessed that my surgery is happening so quickly.
My surgery is the 11th! I am also not loving this liquid diet but we are so close!!! Good luck!!

My surgery is the 11th! I am also not loving this liquid diet but we are so close!!! Good luck!!
How exciting, we’re one day apart! I felt much better yesterday and had a little bit of energy. I decided to clean our bathroom. Afterwards I was totally exhausted and wiped out, I really wanted to get the house super clean and everything perfect before my surgery, but that might not happen (sigh). At least I have all the food and supplies I will need for after surgery. Did you pack your hospital bag yet?

I am so excited to see a surgery twin!! I’m glad you were feeling better yesterday and got through your bathroom, that must feel like a nice relief. I also am feeling pressured to make my house perfect but we will be okay if we dont get to that! I haven’t been able to do anything because I’ve been working so much so I’ve pushed everything to this weekend. I hope to be able to get some stuff done tomorrow!

I’m actually going home same day if I feel okay and everything is going well, but I may just decide to stay. I have a list you might want to look at for hospital bag reccomendations from someone else Here is that list! There are some really good reccomedations (you may have already seen this).

I haven’t been overly tired until the end of the night but I have been SO tempted to cheat. Happy to say other then a few pickles the first few days I have actually followed the liquid diet as prescribed! I have to drink 3 specific protein shakes they give us a day plus unlimited SF jello (thank goodness!). Absolutely one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.

I’ve read some statistics about success rates and one important one stuck out to me: people who stay active in support groups (like this) lose 12% more weight on average! So, I am so glad to chat with you!
How have you been doing on your diet? How long are you staying in the hospital? Wishing you the best!

Last edited:
Thanks for the hospital bag list. I love the idea of mouthwash! I didn’t think of that. I’m going to bring a soft throw blanket since hospital blankets are so thin. I can also use it for the car ride home (45 minutes away). I’m staying one night for sure. I can stay a second night if I have any complications.

Sadly, I have cheated twice! Day 2 and day 5. I ate Goldfish crackers, cheese and pistachios late at night when everyone went to bed. I was feeling weak and nauseous from only having two shakes on those days. Hopefully I didn’t ruin my chances of success on surgery day. I feel like such a failure, but it made me realize how much FOOD controls me and how badly I need this surgery. On the bright side, I have lost 5 1/2 pounds so far. Hopefully, I lose a little bit more before Tuesday. How much weight have you lost so far?

You are not a failure! We are addicted to food. I had that same realization. I am pretty big so my weight loss is in line with that. For reference I am 5’5”. I started at 293 and am currently 279. The thing is I always lose weight at the beginning of a diet pretty rapidly - it’s like a superpower.
You didn’t ruin anything don’t be hard on yourself. You’re doing AMAZING!! I am almost certain everyone cracks during this process!
Thanks for the blanket idea I never thought of that! I will be adding that to my list. Only a few more days left!

I am so excited to see a surgery twin!! I’m glad you were feeling better yesterday and got through your bathroom, that must feel like a nice relief. I also am feeling pressured to make my house perfect but we will be okay if we dont get to that! I haven’t been able to do anything because I’ve been working so much so I’ve pushed everything to this weekend. I hope to be able to get some stuff done tomorrow!

I’m actually going home same day if I feel okay and everything is going well, but I may just decide to stay. I have a list you might want to look at for hospital bag reccomendations from someone else Here is that list! There are some really good reccomedations (you may have already seen this).

I haven’t been overly tired until the end of the night but I have been SO tempted to cheat. Happy to say other then a few pickles the first few days I have actually followed the liquid diet as prescribed! I have to drink 3 specific protein shakes they give us a day plus unlimited SF jello (thank goodness!). Absolutely one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do.

I’ve read some statistics about success rates and one important one stuck out to me: people who stay active in support groups (like this) lose 12% more weight on average! So, I am so glad to chat with you!
How have you been doing on your diet? How long are you staying in the hospital? Wishing you the best!

Thanks for sharing that list for all the pre-surgery members. I'm sure it will be very helpful. Sounds like you are doing great on your pre-surgery diet, though I know it isn't easy. Good luck!!

Thanks for sharing that list for all the pre-surgery members. I'm sure it will be very helpful. Sounds like you are doing great on your pre-surgery diet, though I know it isn't easy. Good luck!!
Thanks so much Judy! I can’t get over how nice and supportive everyone is in here. It’s bringing tears to my eyes. I am so grateful I’ve found this community!

Last edited:

I start my liquid diet tomorrow. Have different shakes and diet drinks lol geesh already made two bowls of different flavored Jello. I do not want to be the weak link in this group lol I/we can do this. Take care

I start my liquid diet tomorrow. Have different shakes and diet drinks lol geesh already made two bowls of different flavored Jello. I do not want to be the weak link in this group lol I/we can do this. Take care
That’s exciting!! I wish you luck! I did some broth in between (I am allowed to have that) and that has been helpful. It’s funny what you can find satisfaction from when your options are so limited! Be kind to yourself- it’s really hard. I have to talk myself out of eating something probably every 20 minutes. It’s a lot of that. But it’s doable! Good luck!! When is your surgery?

i have four different flavors of shakes so I can rotate and not get bored. I can also drink broth, but it doesn’t really satisfy me. Jello and popsicles are a lifesaver before bedtime because that’s when I really want to eat food. I think I’ve already won the title of “weakest link” so you’re safe! LOL

When you begin your liquid diet, start using a fiber laxative once a day, stirred into one of your liquid servings. I actually add a scoop to a 4oz serving of water or juice, stir it quickly and then shoot it down in one swallow.

Constipation is common after surgery, and on your low-fiber liquid diet, it will probably happen to you. My first BM after surgery involved dozens of efforts, useless enemas and excruciating pain. Any more details will gross you out. I wrote a long post about it when I joined this group years ago.

Don't let it happen to you. You can use fiber lax daily for as long as you want. You definitely don't want to bear down on your new plumbing.

Don't use chemical laxatives except for a short period after surgery, if your doc or nutritionist advises or prescribes it.

When you begin your liquid diet, start using a fiber laxative once a day, stirred into one of your liquid servings. I actually add a scoop to a 4oz serving of water or juice, stir it quickly and then shoot it down in one swallow.

Constipation is common after surgery, and on your low-fiber liquid diet, it will probably happen to you. My first BM after surgery involved dozens of efforts, useless enemas and excruciating pain. Any more details will gross you out. I wrote a long post about it when I joined this group years ago.

Don't let it happen to you. You can use fiber lax daily for as long as you want. You definitely don't want to bear down on your new plumbing.

Don't use chemical laxatives except for a short period after surgery, if your doc or nutritionist advises or prescribes it.
Oh my gosh thank you!

That’s exciting!! I wish you luck! I did some broth in between (I am allowed to have that) and that has been helpful. It’s funny what you can find satisfaction from when your options are so limited! Be kind to yourself- it’s really hard. I have to talk myself out of eating something probably every 20 minutes. It’s a lot of that. But it’s doable! Good luck!! When is your surgery?
Hello BeeVee, April 20th is the date. Today, I have had 2-16 oz glasses of hot tea and 2 shakes. The Unjury shake was pretty good, I took someone's advice on here and added a cup of sugar free pink lemonade. The Unjusry poofs up a lot (with 4 ice cubes). Yes, I think of food and then I think how I want to feel later after all this is done. Just pee more now lol lol ...

Thanks, I read where the article said Benefiber isn't as harsh, what did you use? I know it would be just a suggestion, thanks!

i have four different flavors of shakes so I can rotate and not get bored. I can also drink broth, but it doesn’t really satisfy me. Jello and popsicles are a lifesaver before bedtime because that’s when I really want to eat food. I think I’ve already won the title of “weakest link” so you’re safe! LOL
I know, I am a night time feeder lol or craver. I decided I would try some Unjury chicken broth for dinner and the infamous Jello lol good luck to you also!

Thanks for the hospital bag list. I love the idea of mouthwash! I didn’t think of that. I’m going to bring a soft throw blanket since hospital blankets are so thin. I can also use it for the car ride home (45 minutes away). I’m staying one night for sure. I can stay a second night if I have any complications.

Sadly, I have cheated twice! Day 2 and day 5. I ate Goldfish crackers, cheese and pistachios late at night when everyone went to bed. I was feeling weak and nauseous from only having two shakes on those days. Hopefully I didn’t ruin my chances of success on surgery day. I feel like such a failure, but it made me realize how much FOOD controls me and how badly I need this surgery. On the bright side, I have lost 5 1/2 pounds so far. Hopefully, I lose a little bit more before Tuesday. How much weight have you lost so far?
We are only human and you are doing great!. I need you here, you told me not to crunch carrots and spit them out lol lol so GET OFF THE PITY PARTY - WE GOT THIS and SHIT HAPPENS and we all love food! Peace and Success

Back