• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One Year Anniversary 01/31

Dana

Hello,

I will be one year out as of 01/31 and have fallen off track for the past month or so. I am having a hard time getting back on track. Have not gained any weight back but I have not lost any either. I am really, really angry with myself for falling off, not sure how to get back on track.

Any suggestions, has anyone else gone through this or going through this?

hello Dana,
I would just chalk it up that you didn't gain and remember what you ate when you were loosing. That should get you thinking about weight loss and get you back to loosing. You just need to pep talk yourself! Congrats on your weight loss! Michele

Dana-I have been in the same situation but for several months. I am 11 months out from surgery. I had a follow up with the surgeon and nutritionist a couple of weeks ago. Both told me it is normal to stop losing weight as you approach the one year mark. I have a physical handicap so my activity level is very low. Even so, the doc said he is impressed with the amount of weight I managed to lose so far. He said the only way I can expect to continue losing weight is to increase my activity to the point that it makes me sweat. This will increase my metabolism which will trigger weight loss but it will be much slower than it was initially. I can't do the required physical activity at the moment because of the pain it causes. I am planning on having a total hip replacement along with reconstruction of the pelvis to replace bone that has worn away. Once that is done and I recover enough I plan on getting regular exercise. I used to be an athelete when I was in high school and enjoyed sports and any other form of physical activity that I could find. I even like physical therapy, weird huh? I am so looking forward to be able to go for a brisk walk and to the gym...can't wait.

I am also right at 11 months out and over Christmas I did not lose, but also did not gain so now I just have to get back with the program. It will be slow going but I can do this. Part of my problem is the inability to exercise as I should but that will change in the summer when I can swim. I don't believe anyone should beat themselves up over not losing. I firmly believe that we can pick ourselves up and start over even if we have to go back to liquids and protein shakes for a few days and work back up to regular food. Anyway, that is what I decided to do. I had been slacking off on the fluid intake and now I made it through day two of my plan. I need to go back and read my nutrition information that I was given (I think that would help me). Good luck Pat, when is your hip surgery scheduled? Joy

Joy-I just got the surgery date this afternoon. It's for 4/2/13. there was one other opening in mid March but the surgeon is leaving the next day for vacation. The surgical coordinator thought it would be a better idea to take the 4/2 date in case there are complications that would require the surgeon to become involved. I was told my case was more difficult than normal because of the amount of bone wear and my weight. Having the date that far out will also give me the opportunity to lose a few more pounds.

Pat99 wow I just saw where you've lost 101 pounds wow, way to go Pat. I am glad to hear that you now have a date for your surgery. I know you will do well and be about walking this summer for sure. You're gonna get to your goal weight. You're not a quitter nor a complainer, you're an inspiration to all of us. Today I got my son to try the chocolate protein mix from walmart and he loves it and now he wants to try strawberry. Dr put him on insulin today so he now realizes his weight is causing more diabetic issues, he's also not a candidate for bariatric surgery. so if he is willing to try eating more healthy and incorporate protein into his diet he'll make it. one day one bite at a time. Hope you are doing well. Donna

Hi Dana, Sometimes reaching milestones can bring up some fear for me. You already know what to do as you have been doing it for a year. I guess the honeymoon period is over and now is the time to use all the things you have learned over the last year. If you need to start at the beginning, do it. I sounds like you are not satisfied with your weight being where it is. Maybe try something different with exercise anything to remind you why you started this journey. Don't give up I get you, becasue at anytime I am you. Sending you positive energy.

Back