• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One year anniversary from having Gastric Bypass Surgery

L

Linney

Hello,

I just wanted to share that it's been one year since my surgery, and I've lost a total of 180 pounds! I haven't had a slice of bread, no rice, or any sweets. Being a food addict, if I indulge in these high-carb/high sugar items, I know that it will trigger me to want more. So I decided to stay on the straight and narrow when it comes to these items.

It took a lot of hard work and determination to get to this place and I am committed to staying here for good this time! I weigh myself on a daily basis to keep me honest and in check with my progress. I've attended my first support group because I feel the need at this time to learn how to stay thin once and for all.

Life is good and continues to get better each day. Glad to be on this site.

That is fabulous!!! You should be so proud of yourself. As a food addict I know how very hard it is to stay on the straight and narrow but look at the great example you are. I wish you continous willpower and happiness in your life!!! Keep up the great work!!

Response to my journey

Thank you for your kind and motivating words. I'm on the straight and narrow and will continue to live this lifestyle for the rest of my life. As for the response regarding being a newby, stay focused, on track, don't cheat and give in to the old temptations. If you abide by the new way of eating, and taking in the protein you require, and listen to your surgeon and also your nutritionalist what they have instructed you to do, there's no way but to succeed. It's a day-to-day lifestyle adjustment that will eventually become a way of life for you.

You are serious about changing your life, and it's a day-to-day journey. Stay in the now of knowing that each day will take you closer to the place you want to be, and you will succeed. The weight will come off if you do everything in your power to make it happen with this new weight-loss tool. It's truly a gift to have a chance to make it right this time. Look forward and be excited about your future. Your future is going to give you freedom to do many things you may have not been able to do in your life. Stay positive and journal your journey to stay on track. You will be well on your way to health and contentment in no time!

I wish you the best of health and remember, one day at a time. You'll do just great!

Yeah!! You are doing soo good. You should be really proud of yourself!! I am so happy for you. Keep on doing what your doing because it obviously is working great for you.

Thank you so much, I appreciate your support, and you as well stay well and keep going! You are doing excellent!

hi Congratulations on your great accomplishment! I bet you feel good too.Do you eat any regular foods or just do protein shakes?
I hope to be at my goal weight within one year or sooner of my surgery date. Congratulation 's on your great accomplishment. stories of succuess like yours encourage the rest of us to go on with the surgery and to keep trying.
I agree with you about eating the carb's does trigger the body to want more, at least mine does that now so I assume that doesn't change once you have the surgery.
Whenever you have time and feel like sharing more about your journey to get to the healthy place you are now, others like me would love to hear what truly lies ahead for us.
Hope you have a good day.
Donna

Linney-Congratulations on 180 pounds GONE!!! I can't imagine losing that much weight in a year even though I am trying to do just that. For some reason it just seems like it's not possible but you are living proof as are others' in this forum. I have had 2 plateaus since my RNY on 2/27/12 and get a little discouraged but because I know it's going to happen I try not to dwell on it. I put a shirt on the other day and it looked like a baggy clown suit *LOL* I guess these are the things that keep us going.

That you Pat! Yes you can hit a rough spot, but change it up a bit with your protein intake and doing a different exercise routine as well. It will come off when you stay on track and move forward. Focus on the hard-earned prize and enjoy each day knowing that you're taking the necessary action for health and wellness and a much more active life! You're doing great! Kudos to you!

Hi Donna,

Thank you so much for your support and kind words. I feel great! I can walk up and down stairs with no pain. I no longer have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, insulin resistence. I no longer use a cane to assist me as I walk. I'm in better shape now than I was 20 to 30 years ago. It's a journey, and it's important to talk to others, who can assist, guide, and support you in those moments you need it the most. I am here to be with you anytime! It certainly helps to have support. If you've been up and down with your weight most of your life, there comes a time when it's a do or die situation. The lifestyle I had in the past kept me moribily obese, and I think many times to myself. My obesity in some way benefited me, or I would not have held on to it for the past 20 years. I've stayed true to this lifestyle, and if you repeat your new eating habits, and way of life long enough, it will become a habit. Vitamins are essential every single day to ensure you have all the minerals and nutrients your body requires. I stay away from the trigger foods. They don't work for me anymore. They don't benefit me anymore. I gained a tremendous amount of weight living the "old" lifestyle. I eat alone at work to ensure I'm not distracted and listen to my body tell me I'm full. No more "mindless" eating. I'm mindful of what is going into my mouth. I make sure it's beneficial to my success of obtaining a lean and healthy body. I take better care of my body, and take the time for "me". It's a wonderful feeling to sit in a chair with side arms comfortably, or go on an airplane without the extension for the seat belt, or going anywhere and people don't have to move out of your way. Many new and exciting freedoms come with your new body! A sense of self is awakened and gratitude that we were given a gift of weight loss, to utilize as a tool, and to learn during this time, how to be "mindful" of what you're eating, how much you're eating, and making the healthy food choices. I supplement with Protein shakes if I didn't think I took in enough for the day. I make sure I space out my eating when I'm hungry I'm beginning to learn those signals and when I'm full I've learned those signals. I am here anytime you need to talk. May this day and everyday bring you to the place you want to be.....Linney

Linney, when you started out on the clear liquids after surgery, which protein supplement did you use? Unjury, Beneprotein etc? Is there a difference? I am trying to get a little stocked up and I am unsure which way to go.

Good morning,

After I came home from my surgery, I bought Isopure pure liquid protein, which I bought from my local Health Food Store. I believe it has 40 grams of protein per bottle. You have to find one that suits your taste buds. I also believe I diluted mine with water since it's a concentrated drink. I also buy in bulk the EAS 17 grams of protein 0 sugar drink. It's not the Myoplex brand, but the silver containers. I usually buy a case of 24 at a time and utilize them as a snack or when I feel the need to take in more protein to meet my daily intake.

Hey im happy for you its been 1 year and 1 month for me, i started at 318,now im 219, last time i weigh but im slipping back into old habits, got to get back on track.

Hi Joann,
Yes, please stay on track....you've come way too far to go back to your old ways! It's not an easy road, but at least your self-aware that you MAY be slipping a bit. As a food addict, my motto is "one day at a time". That's all you can do..forget about yesterday's slip and move forward towards your goal. I was in such excrutiating pain all of the time, I never ever want to feel that way again. I said to myself when I had the surgery that this was my last hoorahhhhhh, because to go under such a drastic procedure, why would I ever think of sabotaging myself? No more, that's for sure! I love the way I look, and my body looks better than it has in years, there's no way I want to ever be that person again. It's painful to be obese, and really that lifestyle doesn't serve me well anymore. I missed the woman I used to look like, and now she's back to stay. If you ever need support, please don't hesitate to talk to me. Stay well and focused, your friend, Linney

Hey im happy for you its been 1 year and 1 month for me, i started at 318,now im 219, last time i weigh but im slipping back into old habits, got to get back on track.
We are all addicts to food in one way or another. Stay on track! Its like an alcoholic or drug addict who starts using again. If you dont stay on track, you will be right back where you started, with no control.

Linney, when you started out on the clear liquids after surgery, which protein supplement did you use? Unjury, Beneprotein etc? Is there a difference? I am trying to get a little stocked up and I am unsure which way to go.
Hey Bernie,
A nurse I work with, and had Gastric Bypass, recommended a powered protein to me. You can buy it at Sam's Club thru online purchase only w/free shipping. I got some and it tastes awesome. Not gritty or clumpy. I mix it in my blender with ice and water. Here is the link for it...http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=eas+100%25+whey+protein&fromHome=no&_requestid=85075

Back