• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One year anniversary

scotlass

Just looking back on my posts from when I first had my surgery. My 1 year anniversary was this week. My, my, what a difference a year makes. I have lost 99 lbs. I had such a hard time in the beginning that I really was wishing that I didn't have the surgery at all. Those first rew weeks were rough. I was constantly nauseated by looking at, smelling, and tasting food. Even drinking was a task. Water was about the only thing I could handle. Eventually I moved on to yogurts, mashed refried beans, mashed instant potatoes and rice puddings. I had constipation issues that were no fun either. Fast forward about 6 months, I was actually having 2 good days in a row, starting to feel really good, then had a kidney stone. Talk about PAIN......well, the doctor said it was from too much protein......go figure, just starting to get the hang of this high protein thing and now it had to be adjusted. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have had 5 kidney stones to date. The last one was about 2 months ago so hopefully I am on the right track now.
I have not had any other issues in my RNY adventures. Still get nauseated when I smell certain foods, but not nearly as bad as before. My hair is coming in thicker now after being a bit sparse for a while.
I can definately feel for anyone going through their first months of this journey. It is not easy. All I can say is be strong, there will be better days ahead. It may not seem like it at the time but it will get better.
I wouldn't change a thing, I am so glad I had my surgery and so glad there are doctors and surgeons out there to help people like me. I can run again, I have energy again, my feet and knees don't hurt.
It has been a challenge sometimes but well worth it.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me and if you are having a bad day, please just hang in there it will be worth it in the end for you too.

You are so inspiring I appreciate you sharing here with people like me who are only 5 days out. I woke up in the hospital and thought what the hell have I done to myself. Each day is easier protein and water intake is difficult to achieve but I am trying. I am having some stomach cramping but I am hoping that passes. You are a very strong person and your words inspire me to know that it will all be worth it in the end.....Thank you

Hi 2sweetchick,
Thank you for your kind words.
I know exactly how you feel. Its difficult to get down the protein and water that is expected of you. It took me a lot longer than most people I know to get on the right eating track. I was very low at one point because i felt like i didnt want to ever eat anything again. I shudder to think about those bad days. Try to take it one day at a time and do it on your terms. It will get sooo much better.
Ps my surgery date was July 16 too....only 2012. That's a good date......you will not be sweetchick this time next year, you will be sexychick. Haha.
Best wishes

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your story. It is very inspiring, especially for us beginners. Congratulations on your success and for pushing through those hard times!
-Jenny

Back