• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

ongoing issue since surgery in June

Kim M

Well I didn't want to talk about it, but who would know better then those you might have gone through it. Severe constipation since my surgery. At first I thought it was normal as I was eating so little and figured my intestines needed to wake up. I talked to doc who told me to take extra fiber every day. So I did, but this hasn't helped. I eat veggies with lunch and dinner and blueberries with breakfast. I have had to take some form of laxative every week. Last week I waited to see if I could go on my own and it was 12 days. I had to take a laxative. My doc wants me to have a colonoscopy. So I am seeing the gastro doc next week. I am not having any pain, but bloating. I never had the problem before. Anyone having the problem? Any input would be appreciated. I really do not want to have to rely on laxatives as this is not healthy.

Kim-Try taking a stool softener instead of a laxative. My surgeon told me to use Dulcolax or a generic equivalent. He said I could also occasionally use Milk of Magnesia if needed. I take 2 generic Dulcolax every day with meals (one morning and one and evening). It has been working well and I have only had to take the MOM 3 time since my surgery in Jan, 2012. I also eat veggies but they don't work most of the time since I can only manage to eat a couple of bites. I love veggies but if I eat my fill there will be no room left in my pouch for badly needed protein.

THAT is not something I need, already had an episode and do not want another so may try the Senekot trip.

My bowels were to narrow and when I went in for my wls in oct, they caused bleeding it was corrected 2 days later. So you might be wise to take the colonoscopy. I have them every 2 years. Hoping after the repair was done All that is history.

I had surgery in Sept 2012 and have had the same problem. I have talked to the Dr several different times. They keep telling me to take Laxatives as well. I can't stand that so I have been eating some fiber cereal. I wish all the veggies and fruit would do the trick. :(

I had a bout shortly after my surgery as well...worse than the surgery, let me tell you! I took prune juice and a stool softner...after I was "back to normal" ;) I spoke with my Surgeon and they recommended Fiber...so I take a fiber pic once a day and have been regular since then...never an issue...I am eating good and lots of veggies and fruit...but still rely on the fiber pills. Good Luck!

My surgery center recommends a chewable fiber laxative and it works for me. Every once in a while I use MOM. Also if I don't drink enough during the day I will become constipated.

what are the pills and chewable pills names? I took one Ducolox tablet(very small tablet and very big results)! But after taking it thought maybe should not have done that since it could be too harsh but seemed to be ok. BUT in about 6 hrs you do not want to be out shopping or in the car if you know what I mean.

Back