• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pain in lower legs

Kim M

I am 17 days post op. The pain started in my right leg about a week ago. I went in for a doppler and there were no blood clots. Last night the pain began in my left leg. So basically I have unexplained pain in both lower legs. I was wondering if anyone else had this and if it is related to diet or deficency etc. My PA told me to apply warm soaks which I am doing.

OH OH OH...I know this one!!!!! POTASSIUM! I suffer from low potassium and have to drink the dang stuff several times a day or my legs really really hurt and then I get cramps in every conceivable muscle in my body. Have your potassium level checked. And til you do, eat bananas! They are a great source. We eat bananas before racing. It's great.

Hope this helps.

Letrell

thanks letrell. I do have an auto immune disease and tend to burn up potassium. I am seeing my surgeon on Thursday and will mention this. I am only on full liquids so I can't eat any food yet. Well this is the only thing that makes sense since it began. Sometimes we know more than the doctors. Thanks again and for making me laugh today.

It's always possible that some of the fluids given in the hospital are still in your body but settled in your legs. Mine settles in my abdomen.
Yesterday my Surg told me that each bag of fluids is 2.5 lbs.
I also had low potasium after the surg; Surg suggesting adding a little bit of real orange juice to my water in addition to bananas - mashed as I was in the pureed phase.
Was initally concerned about the OJ since I had GERD & heartburn so bad before the surg but haven't since it's returned.
Elevate your legs when possible & move around & walk as much as you can to get the circulation moving.
When in doubt, call back again. Your team should be concerned that your concerned.
My surg told me at my 1st appt yesterday that patients often have once side effect that requires discussion, etc.

Best wishes in getting your legs back to normal. I had more problems w/the fluid in my legs earlier but it's started go away & hopefully in time I may lose my cankles.

I agree with Mary about possible fluid retention. I was in the hospital for 4 days after surgery and had continuous IV fluids. My legs were definately swollen and painful as I had retained 24 pounds of fluids from the IV's. Since my legs were so swollen I needed help getting in the car because I couldn't bend my knees. As I was sitting down my legs flew up into the air like they were boards.

Kim-If the pain and cramping hasn't stopped yet I would call the doctor.

Back