• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain with solid food 2nd week post op and upper quardant pain

I am in my 2nd week post op and trying out solid food. Making sure it is tender and soft, chewing it real good but when I swallow it, I have horrible pain. I also had hiatal hernia repair.

Also i have noticed upper quadrant pain under my left breast in the last couple of days. It hurts worse when taking a deep breath.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Is any of this normal?

Whoa! Are you sure you should be trying solid food so soon? I am 6 weeks post op and won't be starting on solids until next week, and I think that schedule is fairly typical. You may be rushing the solid foods and your stomach is just not healed enough to tolerate them (plus you may be doing some damage :?( )

I agree with Barb, way too soon for solid food. Although I had the RNY and am 7 weeks out I am just now experimenting with solid food. Unless it is very moist and tender it hurts my pouch. Take it slower, you could run into trouble if you try eating foods before you are supposed to. Your stomach isn't healed and can only tolerate so much digestive activity. If you are constipated that could be causing your pain. It wouldn't hurt to call the surgeon if your pain persists. Let us know how things turn out.

I am in my 2nd week post op and trying out solid food. Making sure it is tender and soft, chewing it real good but when I swallow it, I have horrible pain. I also had hiatal hernia repair.

Also i have noticed upper quadrant pain under my left breast in the last couple of days. It hurts worse when taking a deep breath.

The solid food thing has got to be off program this early post-op.Revisit your discharge instructions and your pre-op material too.Somewhere it should give you guidlines for reintroduction of foods and a timetable for those things.At 2 weeks it's unlikely that you would be on anything but liquids or blended soft foods at the very most.Portions would be very small and hunger should be non existant for most patients.Soid foods this soon may indeed lead to dumping or worse.The staple lines need time to heal and your system needs to be gradually given foods.Not all guidlines are the same,I know,but this seems very far out of the norm for any bariatric program.Good Luck with this !

The pain area you describe is in the area of your pouch.If it continues I would cosult your Doctors' office without delay-you should still be on post op blood thinners also-the are a lot of unpleasant possibilities here and I would urge you to be very careful and to stop any solid foods now!-I don't mean to be alarmist but this could be harmful to you if you continue.Please check with your Doctor !
Good Luck
Ron

Back