• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pain

Cecilia

Hi,

One of my biggest worries for this surgery is pain. I am a wimp and I currently have chronic pain which I hope will be helped quite a bit from weight loss. I do have some autoimmune stuff going on that might not change. I know that NSAIDs will not likely be choices for pain relief post surgery. What do some of you take for aches, pains and headaches? Also, what kind of medications did you have immediately following surgery in the hospital and for home? Thanks!

I did not need any pain medication at anytime after my Gastric Bypass...

As a matter of fact, I was up and demanding to go for a walk within 15 minutes after surgery...

Each person is different and it can also depend on your surgical history in the upper gastric region.

I had 3 surgeries at the same time (sleeve, gall bladder removal, and hernia repair) so I needed pain meds. I took Percocet. If you need to take NSAIDS, you might consider the sleeve because you can resume them 1 month post-op.

As a matter of fact, I was up and demanding to go for a walk within 15 minutes after surgery...

Each person is different and it can also depend on your surgical history in the upper gastric region.
Look at you under 200! You should be happy (it says so under your goal weight)

I'm a wimp. The anticipation of the pain is making more nervous than just about anything else. I have had 2 c-sections so I imagine it to be a little less painful than that unless something doesn't go as expected? What about immediately after surgery? No pain meds even then?

I didn't use and pain medication after the rny. I take tylonol for headaches now but I find with proper exercise and water I don't get the headaches like before the surgery..

best of luck

I'm a wimp. The anticipation of the pain is making more nervous than just about anything else. I have had 2 c-sections so I imagine it to be a little less painful than that unless something doesn't go as expected? What about immediately after surgery? No pain meds even then?

They gave me pain meds right after surgery, but I was just a little sore. Within a day or so it really didnt hurt much at all. I was really surprised. I took it easy so I could heal for the first 8 wks and then started to work at building up my strength. I really was out of condition but as time progressed, and as my weight dropped I could do more and more every day.

I had a set back recently because I had to have my gallbladder removed, a hysterectomy, a hernia repair, and a procedure to remove a stone that had been left in my liver duct. All this happened in the month of May and I just got my drainage tube out of my stomach today. Yeaaaa! The tube was the worst of it all, it made me feel sick to my stomach all the time. So glad this is over. So now I have to build my strength up again. Having lost a lot of weight, it should be fairly easy to get my strength back up shortly! At least I hope so! :)

Cheyenne. :cool:

They gave me pain meds right after surgery, but I was just a little sore. Within a day or so it really didnt hurt much at all. I was really surprised. I took it easy so I could heal for the first 8 wks and then started to work at building up my strength. I really was out of condition but as time progressed, and as my weight dropped I could do more and more every day.

I had a set back recently because I had to have my gallbladder removed, a hysterectomy, a hernia repair, and a procedure to remove a stone that had been left in my liver duct. All this happened in the month of May and I just got my drainage tube out of my stomach today. Yeaaaa! The tube was the worst of it all, it made me feel sick to my stomach all the time. So glad this is over. So now I have to build my strength up again. Having lost a lot of weight, it should be fairly easy to get my strength back up shortly! At least I hope so! :)

HURRAY!! YIPPEE!! And HALLELUJAH!! You are back to living normal again. You are such a great spirited fighter. I am so happy for you Cheyene.

Hi,

One of my biggest worries for this surgery is pain. I am a wimp and I currently have chronic pain which I hope will be helped quite a bit from weight loss. I do have some autoimmune stuff going on that might not change. I know that NSAIDs will not likely be choices for pain relief post surgery. What do some of you take for aches, pains and headaches? Also, what kind of medications did you have immediately following surgery in the hospital and for home? Thanks!

I agree with Karenina you should consider the sleeve. Also because most surgeries are done laparoscopically there is a lot less pain than your c-sections by far and less recovery stress too. If you can tolerate a c-section you'll breeze through this surgery. I took pain meds Oxy after a lot of convincing for nausea after my surgery therefore I was in the hospital for three days rather than the one expected. If I wasn't so stubborn about not needing pain meds, because I didn't have any pain, just nausea and vomiting. I would have gone home sooner. Once I took the pain meds all the nausea and vomiting stopped and I was able to stay hydrated and therefore go home. Please don't waste any more energy worrying about pain. If it happens it happens. You and your medical team will take care of that if it happens.
Best wishes. Kt

And look at YOU under 200 lbs. Yay Cheyenne!!!

Congratulations o. Making ONE-DER-LAND!!!!!!!! Glad to hear your doing and feeling much better...

Congratulations o. Making ONE-DER-LAND!!!!!!!! Glad to hear your doing and feeling much better...

Thanks StinkerBelle! I haven't been in the one hundreds since I was 18 yrs old! It feels mighty good, as you know!!! :cool: I feel like I'm finally in the home stretch :)

Cheyenne

I had gastric bypass and hernia removal. I did need pain meds the first several days, about every four hours. I was fearful of becoming constipated from too much narcotics for pain. But believe me, you don't want to go too long before asking for your meds. Doctors orders were to take as needed. Since coming home from the hospital I've taken pain meds only twice. I do consider myself to have a fairly high tolerance to pain. Also, my pain was totally associated with gas build up from surgery. My incisions have bothered me very little. I wish you well in your decision for weight loss. I just know it has to be a totally wonderful and healthier life.

Oh Stinkerbelle so beautiful. 155!

Fantastic.

and Cecilia,

I had gastric bypass and a hernia repair.

I needed some pain meds for the first week. After that I was fine; well at least tolerable with an occasional Tylenol.

However, something very important here. DON'T LET THE PAIN GET AHEAD OF YOU. DON'T CHASE THE PAIN. DON'T WAIT FOR IT TO BECOME TOO MUCH. THAT ISN'T THE WAY PAIN MEDS WORK. THEY WORK BEST WHEN YOUR PAIN LEVEL APPROACHES 5 ON THE 10 POINT SCALE ( 1 = NO PAIN, 10 = EXCURCIATING PAIN ) AND YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS. NO HEROES HERE!!!

Back