• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pat99 Daily Diet

Pat99

Keep in mind I am still pre-surgery so all of you will probably hate me for eating this much food in one day...sorry. I’m not proud of my diet but am being totally honest here.
BREAKFAST is usually a regular size bagel or half of a giant bagel, toasted with 1/3 cup low fat cottage cheese on top of it. If I run out of this I eat hot or cold cereal or scrambled egg substitute and add toast or fruit if I feel real hungry. I also have a giant coffee with sugar substitute and milk or non-dairy creamer.
LUNCH is usually 1/2 can or 1 cup homemade soup and 1/2 sandwich or a whole sandwich if I am feeling very hungry. If I skip the soup I have 2 small pickles and a small piece of fresh fruit with the sandwich. The lunch sandwich is usually turkey, cheese or peanut butter.
DINNER varies drastically. I try to eat a protein like very lean ground beef, turkey lunchmeat, tuna or chicken. I try to eat a generous portion of veggies and mashed potatoes, rice or pasta. Sometimes I make a personal pizza made on a flour tortilla, pita or Greek flatbread. If I don't feel like cooking I will make Ramen noodles but only use 1/4 or less of the flavor packet. I'll round that out with a 1 oz. piece of cheese and a veggie.
1 or 2 OTHER MEALS-I am diabetic so I eat 4 to 5 meals per my doctors orders (no complaints here *lol*). Usually a sandwich or ceral with milk or a few cheesecubes and fruit or Ramen noodles. Sometimes I have a low carb protein drink in place of a meal since my diet does not have nearly enough protein. Or I eat snack foods instead of a meal. My blood sugar level stays in an acceptable range even with my seemingly higher carb diet.

Unfortunately I also munch on snacks throughout the day like cheese puffs, corn chips, peanut butter, dry cereal, yogurt, cheese, fruit, a bagel, protein drinks or sugar free pudding cups.
I drink sugar free, caffeine free, non-carbonated beverages throughout the day. Try as I might I have an extremely hard time drinking plain water.

I rarely eat any restaurant food, including fast food. This is a good thing:)

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday when I posted this so I came back to add a little more information. I used to have a more rounded and much more nutritional diet. Once my disability hit me hard and fast in 2008 I found it difficult at best to be able to stand and walk around the kitchen. I am an excellent cook (or so I've been told) and used to make almost everything from scratch. These days I have to settle for mostly purchased foods. On occasion I find the energy and strength to cook and bake. Yesterday I managed to make bagels :) I made 3 dozen. I packaged them for the freezer and am now a happy puppy! On occasion I make soups, stews and entrees and freeze them for later use. I make my own yogurt and sometimes make my own cottage cheese but like store bought cheese slightly better. I used to have a medium sized garden and home canned about 50% of my veggies and bought fresh fruit to home can. Hopefully I will be able to go back to making most of my meals from scratch once I lose weight. My disabilities largely stem from genetics and there are no guarantees but I have a feeling that there will be a significant improvement.

Last edited:
Well good luck after your surgery cuz bagels, bread etc are one of the last foods tolerated. I am just 2 months out and still have trouble with little bits of whole grain bread ..... would not even attempt a bagel. Wishing you good luck. Your day will be here soon. :)

NannyG-I am aware that my diet needs to change drastically once I have my surgery. Just the other day I was having a discussion with the bariatric nutritionist who said the RNY was the perfect surgery for someone like me who lives off of carbs. Her comment was something like "You chose the right surgery since you won't be able to eat this stuff anymore". We both had a good laugh over it.

I think carbs are addicting. I just reconized how everyone in my house has carb cravings. Since I do all the shopping, they have a rude awakening after I have my surgery. This survery might save my whole family. Now thats a good thing.

Dean-not only are carbs addicting they are a comfort food to most of us, and they taste good too! It's going to be somewhat difficult to try to balance the family meal planning after surgery. These days I only have to make meals for myself so I can only imagine the challenge that a family faces when one or more members are dieting. I'm thinking the best way to keep the peace it is to compromise by slowly adding healthier options to the family menu now. As long as the food looks and tastes good there probably won't be any big complaints. If you look at a recipe and modify it to remove the fat and replace the carbs with a healthier substitute everyone will most likely not complain about it.

I used to eat potatoes almost every evening with my dinner. I started making yellow squash (winter squash) instead and didn't miss the potatoes at all. I also started using lean or extra lean ground beef in place of hamburger and sometimes use lean ground turkey in some recipes like sloppy joes. And I have to tell you that Boca Burgers taste fantastic. There is a Boca pizza burger or Tomato Basil burger that any teenager would love. I haven't found one yet that I don't like. They are vegetarian but you wouldn't know it. Dreamfield's makes a variety of low carb pasta that tastes exactly like regular pasta. It's a bit pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Not all stores carry it but I find it at Kroger. I think you can also order on line but then you have to pay shipping. Good luck with your weight loss surgery, I'm sure you will do great.

Pat 99, wow you are one ambtious lady, when you feel like it would you share your receipe's for cottage cheese and yogurt? My sister is studying to be a chef now and comes up with some great receipes. she has made me some wonderful broths to try out now, since that is what I will have to eat for awhile. Her beef stock broth is great, had chicken broth today. I am trying different receipes so I will have a variety to pick from.I know others have said there taste buds changed after surgery, so what I enjoy now may not be what I crave later.I beleive once your health is restored to you and you're able to move around more easily, I bet you start cooking and canning again, homemade foods are the best, taste wise, economically and do wonders for the soul. Feel free to share your receipes. Today has been an awesome day full of information and friends, thanks to all of you!
Donna

I had my surgery May 25th. It takes me hours to get all my pills down. A little cream of wheat for breakfast, Not even an 8th of a cup.I can't get a whole protien shake in yet ether. All I want to do is sleep

Stub-I'm surprised you are able to eat cream of wheat so soon after surgery. Make sure to get your fluids and protein. It will take longer than the recommended meal plans to actually be able to eat some of the stuff they tell us we can safely eat. I still can't handle meats like hamburger patties, roast beef or even baked or broiled fish and I had my surgery 3 months ago. I think I was able to drink all of my fluids and get most of my protein in during the end of week three. Keep in mind that ounce for ounce your protein shakes count towards your daily fluid intake :)

As far as wanting to sleep all the time, that's exactly what you should be doing. The more you rest and get your protein in the faster and better you will recover. I didn't even start getting my energy back until sometime after the second month. I'm still not 100% there but feel a little bit more energized as each week goes by :)

It was good to see a post from you. Make sure to keep coming back here to let everyone know how you doing :)

I am 5 days post surgery. Hard to get all the fluids down. Has anyone tired the Starter Kit on this site - are they any good. I have wasted a fortune on things I cannot tolerate. Thanks.

I am 5 days post surgery. Hard to get all the fluids down. Has anyone tired the Starter Kit on this site - are they any good. I have wasted a fortune on things I cannot tolerate. Thanks.

Being just 5 days post surgery doesn't allow you much variety in the way of food. You are just coming off clear liquids so I'm wondering what you are eating / drinking that you are not able to tolerate. I have purchased several protein bar starter kits from this store which gave me a selection of bars to sample and allow me to choose which ones I liked the best. It's way too soon for you to be eating protein bars, they will make you sick and possibly cause complications such as a blockage to your pouch. 5-14 days after surgery you should be having low sugar full fluids (phase 2) which are all available from the grocery store: protein drinks, skim milk, tomato juice, V8, diet V8 Splash, sugar free pudding, hot cereals, thin instant mashed potatoes, light yogurt without fruit pieces, mashed up low fat cottage cheese and low fat strained soups. You can also have everything you were allowed during phase 1. I had no appetite during my second week post surgery but I made sure to have protein shakes anyway in order to get in my protein requirements. Your focus after day 5 should be on protein and fluids. And ounce for ounce the protein drinks count towards your daily fluid intake.

Don't throw out anything you have already purchased. You can use it later when you are better able to tolerate different things. Everything will taste different later. You may find yourself liking or not liking things you had in the past. Just give it some time.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you so much for the info. I know I am only allowed certain liquids until I return to the Dr. on the 12th. I will be glad to add the ones you mentioned when the Dr. gives me the okay. I was looking at starter kits on down the line - just want to make sure the taste is okay. I will keep the products that I don't like - good idea. Things do change. Thanks again for caring.

Well it's been just over 3 months since surgery and I had a good laugh when I went back and read my initial post regarding my pre-surgery diet. I probably eat 25% or less of what I used to eat and almost no carbs from flour and such. I have eaten small amounts of rice and some bread and whole wheat crackers without any issues but limit these to once or twice a week. I usually have to drink 1 or 2 protein drinks each day because I still have an issue eating enough protein containing foods. The protein part of the meal plan is the most difficult for me but I am managing :) :) :).

Since I did get an appetite around week 5 or 6 the surgeon put me on 800 calories a day which made it even more difficult to get my protein in. My hair started falling out around week 5 so I started taking a supplement with biotin and zinc. Luckily for me it fixed the problem after 3 weeks. The nutritionist said it doesn't work for everyone. It's called Hair Nails and Skin and is available over the counter at most chain drug stores. I get mine at Costco.

Thanks - my husband found biotin today in smaller gel capsules. I am trying to take the vitamins, fiber, calcium and now the biotin. Seems like I am pushing something all day. You have really lost a lot of weight - good for you! Hope I am do it. People are talking about dumping which really scares me. I have the band so I am not sure what I am facing. Thanks again.

Hannah-If you follow your meal plan you will never dump. Dumping is caused by overeating, eating fatty foods or eating things you shouldn't be eating.

Thanks Pat - Dumping sounded really scary. I am trying to do everything right, but it is difficult. I go back to the Dr. the 12th. I am anxious to see what he thinks. Hannah

Hi Hannah,
I found that if I eat to much sugar before I get at least 20 gr. of Pro. I will dump still to day and I'm almost 5 years out I also had to drink the lowest suger content pro. shakes I could find to avoid that problem.Pat's right stick to your program.

Hannah - I totally understand wasting money on things you can't tolerate. I was required to buy my protein drinks and all vitamins from doctor's office before surgery (4-18-12) and I particularly can't stand one of the protein flavors. And then there is no way I can take all the vitamins they want me to. If I get part of it down, I think I have done good. So I alternate vits. that I take. I also had to have my gallbladder out two weeks ago, so that has set me back. I have Lupus and still don't manage to get those pills down daily. I was not prepared for all the chewables and liquids for meds. I don't like them and I gag easy. It has been really hard for me.

Back