• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pooping...

chilis

So my surgery was last Tuesday on the 16th. I still have not had a bowel movement. I typically am not regular....I can go 3 to 4 days without one but this seems a bit unnatural. Has anyone else come across this or heard of someone else that has? I mean I know a lot of things went on in there. And I DO have gas and feel the rumbling but nothing has happened as of yet. How long does a person wait before calling the doctor?

Hey Chilis I have not had a bowel movement either. I have my post opp appointment is Wednesday so hopefully I will find out then. How is your intake of protein and water? I think I am doing well then at the end of the day I find I didn't get enough.

Dcepello, Why immediately? Are my intestines going to explode? I mentioned that I would go days before the surgery. My protein and water intake seems fine. Today is the first day I have been awake most of the time. Every day since surgery, I have been sleeping...not eating or drinking much.

Believe me this is something that will not get mellower with time, the sooner you try and remedy the problem the better off you will be. Getting of the pain killers will also help. Good luck!

my dr was going to give me a suppository on day 4 after surgery but I went (thankfully!!). you may want to mention to your dr. he will advise you best.

For a couple months post surgery I would go once a week. But my body was still getting use to my new diet. Believe me, it wasn't without difficulty. Now, I make sure I'm eating my protein and drinking plenty of water.

i am having same issue. my surgery was on the 15th. STILL have had nothing!!! I go to my PCP today and will mention it to her. Tomorrow is my 1 week post-op...Will be interesting to see what they say. I feel fine. Not bloated or nauseated or no other symptoms of constipation. Just some gas here and there. Good luck to you!

Well, thankfully it happened naturally. It must have been just as I thought...not enough going in to generate anything to come out. :) But it was something I wanted to know for sure. Thanks for all the conversation about such a "pretty" topic!

Constipation.

Hi everyone, my sleeve surgery was the thirteen everything seems to going well until yesterday. I am sooooo constipated that today I have been in the bathroom for hours. The biggest problem is that I have hemorrhoids and I am bleeding big time. I called the nurse without luck. if this continue tonight I am taking myself to emergency. I am taking the mirolex plus today I took lax pill no luck but the biggest pain with a lot of bleeding. I am trying to drink my water, Iam at 40 oz now, Iam afraid to drink my protein shakes because I know they are causing the constipation. Today I had water and a yougurt for the whole day, and lot crying, I am trying to do things by the book and be positive but Iam not having a good day. I have been reading your post for support and it is helping me to see some of you have had my problem. Thank you

Gosh I hope that by the time you read this your constipation will have been cured or at least getting better. Please let us know how you are doing and what has happened since you last posted.
Good luck and best wishes,
Kt

I had issues with constipation and the surgeon told me to take over the counter laxatives and to drink some apple juice, prune juice etc. to help the process along. I am still working on my protein intake but, I am getting in all of my water and other fluid intake. Talk to your doctors and see what they say. Good luck and let us know everything is going

TillieS

Back