• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op ACNE!!! I have a solution! :)

KDub

Hello all! I know it's been a while since I've posted but life post op is absolutely fantastic! This October will be two years since my surgery and I've never felt better! My biggest regret is not doing this sooner! I have a lost a total of 130 lbs and I'm maintaining my goal weight, actually a few pounds under...it's a great feeling. Yes, my arms are a little flabby but they're getting better and I'm working to tone up. Will get updated pics up soon! ;)

One problem I have now started about 8 months ago....acne! The one thing I was gifted with was a beautiful complexion. All of my life, as far back as I can remember, I've always been told how nice my skin is. I have never had a problem with acne. Here and there, I'd get a pimple but nothing major. Well, back in October, I noticed bumps covering my entire forehead and they just kept getting worse. None of those ever surfaced, just tiny bumps that wouldn't go away. Then I started getting big zits (hate that word) along my chin and sides of my face...not to mention on my chest and back and they were so sore and swollen. When I researched it, I just about got sick to my stomach when I read it's a side effect from gastric bypass surgery due to hormones...I had never heard of this before. I was SO upset! Of course, I finally start losing weight and feeling better about myself, then my face starts to break out like I'm a young girl going through puberty. I tried everything, nothing worked. I was about to make an appt to see a dermatologist but I kept seeing these ads for Proactiv and thought I wanted to try it but that is a lot of money to put out for something that may or may not help and given it's hormonal, the chances are very slim. Well, my friend found a generic Proactiv treatment at Wal-Mart, Equate Acne Treatment Solution, it's the 3 step process...same as Proactiv. I looked it up, had great reviews online and for $11.97, can't hurt, right? RIGHT! Let me tell you, this stuff is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Within a few days I could tell a difference. Within a week, there was a big difference and a month later...NO MORE BUMPS ON MY FOREHEAD!!!!!!!!!! I did go full force when I first started and it dried my face out and I normally have oily skin. So I recommend if you try it, start off once per day and gradually increase to morning and night. The toner seems to be what dries my face out so I still only use that once per day. I am telling you, this stuff is a miracle! I haven't had a sore, swollen pimple since...knock on wood! :D My Wal-Mart is sold out of it now and it's not available online so when it comes back in stock, I will be stocking up on it! I just wanted to hop on real quick and share this info with you. If you are fighting acne, do yourself a favor and try it, you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:
Hello all! I know it's been a while since I've posted but life post op is absolutely fantastic! This October will be two years since my surgery and I've never felt better! My biggest regret is not doing this sooner! I have a lost a total of 130 lbs and I'm maintaining my goal weight, actually a few pounds under...it's a great feeling. Yes, my arms are a little flabby but they're getting better and I'm working to tone up. Will get updated pics up soon! ;)

One problem I have now started about 8 months ago....acne! The one thing I was gifted with was a beautiful complexion. All of my life, as far back as I can remember, I've always been told how nice my skin is. Back in October, I noticed bumps all along my forehead and they just kept getting worse. None of those ever surfaced, just tiny bumps that wouldn't go away. Then I started getting big zits (hate that word) along my chin and sides of my face...not to mention on my chest and back and they were so sore and swollen. When I researched it, I just about got sick to my stomach when I read it's a side effect from gastric bypass surgery due to hormones...I had never heard of this before. I was so unsettled. Of course, I finally start losing weight and feeling better about myself, then my face starts to break out like I'm a young girl going through puberty. I tried everything, nothing worked. I was about to make an appt to see a dermatologist but I kept seeing these ads for Proactiv and thought I wanted to try it but that is a lot of money to put out for something that may or may not help and given it's hormonal, the chances are very slim. Well, my friend found a generic Proactiv treatment at Wal-Mart, the 3 step process...same as Proactiv. I looked it up, had great reviews online and for $11.97, can't hurt, right? RIGHT! Let me tell you, this stuff is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Within a few days I could tell a difference. Within a week, there was a big difference and a month later...NO MORE BUMPS ON MY FOREHEAD!!!!!!!!!! I did go full force when I first started and it dried my face out and I normally have oily skin. So I recommend if you try it, start off once per day and gradually increase to morning and night. The toner seems to be what dries my face out so I still only use that once per day. I am telling you, this stuff is a miracle! I haven't had a sore, swollen pimple since...knock on wood! :D My Wal-Mart is sold out of it now and it's not available online so when it comes back in stock, I will be stocking up on it! I just wanted to hop on real quick and share this info with you. If you are fighting acne, do yourself a favor and try it, you won't be disappointed!

This has to be so important for many people.

I didn't have these issues. Perhaps it is limited to woman. I don't know. Perhaps.

But great input for all to read.

Ralph

Thought I'd bump this thread because it's aproblem I recently started having! Dammit!

Always had good shin but my forehead and neck have started with pimples. I haven't don't anything to treat yet because I have dry skin and I dont want it to dry out further. I'm sure this will go away once body weight regulates closer to goal but for now it's no fun!

Thought I'd bump this thread because it's aproblem I recently started having! Dammit!

Always had good shin but my forehead and neck have started with pimples. I haven't don't anything to treat yet because I have dry skin and I dont want it to dry out further. I'm sure this will go away once body weight regulates closer to goal but for now it's no fun!
Ugh, sorry Annie. I experienced a little something different, multiple dry patches on my face, neck and hands while I was loosing weight. These "breakouts" stopped once my weight leveled out so I hope the same will happen with you. Very weird how surgery can affect the skin like this.

I’m one month post-op gastric bypass and my face is breaking out terribly. I have a very specific skin care routine that I’ve followed for years, and my skin is pretty much laughing at it right now. Luckily they’re small bumps, but they itch occasionally, and are clearly visible. I’ve used noxzema the past two days with no change at all, so I’m glad to know that it’s a side effect of the surgery vs something I did. I’ll be checking my options to get rid of this.

Many years ago I used to get little white bumps on my upper arms on the outside. I was told I had a vitamin deficiency. But I can't remember if it was C or D. Anyway I haven't had any problem for years and I have been taking supplements for almost 13 years. I include C and D in my supplements. You might check out your post-op routine. It's almost impossible for people to get enough nutrition when they just eat normally. For us who are post op, it's even harder. That's why the doctor tells you to take two multivitamins a day and other supplements are strongly advised.

Back