• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post op people-how many are not able to drink Whey or Soy drinks

Sandie

I just heard of a person who had surgery in 2004 and says he is unable to drink Whey products or Soy products since after having his surgery, THAT is scary since all of my protein drinks are Whey products. Does this occur often and if so what do you use for protein. He said Whey made him vomit, I woiuld think if you are truly Whey or Soy sensitive then you would have cramps and diarrhea and not vomiting but what do I know.

Sandie

hi I don't like the taste of soy and there are days when the smell of the whey in my protein mix , gags me, I want to try using some unflavored protein next like others have suggested. I don't know what the person is doing whom had the surgery in 2004, I would assume they get there protein from foods and surely they used some unflavored protein. I was told to get knox gelatin it's unflavored and add it to foods and make my own s/f jello shots etc, I must try that today for I have not been getting my full amount of protein daily due to the smell of the whey truly bothers me, but this is a new lifestyle I have taken on and I must continue to try new things because I didn't go through all that pain to stop now.
donna

hi I don't like the taste of soy and there are days when the smell of the whey in my protein mix , gags me, I want to try using some unflavored protein next like others have suggested. I don't know what the person is doing whom had the surgery in 2004, I would assume they get there protein from foods and surely they used some unflavored protein. I was told to get knox gelatin it's unflavored and add it to foods and make my own s/f jello shots etc, I must try that today for I have not been getting my full amount of protein daily due to the smell of the whey truly bothers me, but this is a new lifestyle I have taken on and I must continue to try new things because I didn't go through all that pain to stop now.

Hmmm. I can't help but wonder if we're all talking about the same thing. There's whey protein caseinate, then there's whey protein concentrate, and saving the best for last, there's whey protein isolate. wls patients want to use whey protein isolate, as it is the most bio-available form and the least likely to trouble anyone who is lactose intolerant, as all but the most miniscule amount of lactose has been removed from whey protein isolate. Also, whey protein isolate has little scent so I find it surprising that the smell of it would trouble most people. More likely, the troubling scent comes from some flavoring or some other ingredient.

Try a different brand, and especially try different flavors. Some people don't like any of the "milky" type flavors. The best suggestion I can think of to get away from that is the Syntrax Nectar line of fruit-flavored drinks. They offer a sample packet for only $14. That way, you're not stuck with a big tub of something you don't care for. But once you find something you like, you can order more from them or any other retailer you like. I get mine from Amazon and VitaCost, as they have the best prices I've found.

FYI Knox gelatin, nor any other gelatin brand, is NOT a substitute for whey protein isolate. Personally, I would not recommend it as an alternate protein source. If you are considering gelatin as a protein source, do your research. Look around the 'net and find out what it is you're really eating and what nutrition you're getting.

Please check around and find something you like. There are too many alternatives out there for anybody to be stuck with something that turns their stomach in any way.

Let us know what you find out. Maybe it will help someone else, too.

Hmmm. I can't help but wonder if we're all talking about the same thing. There's whey protein caseinate, then there's whey protein concentrate, and saving the best for last, there's whey protein isolate. wls patients want to use whey protein isolate, as it is the most bio-available form and the least likely to trouble anyone who is lactose intolerant, as all but the most miniscule amount of lactose has been removed from whey protein isolate. Also, whey protein isolate has little scent so I find it surprising that the smell of it would trouble most people. More likely, the troubling scent comes from some flavoring or some other ingredient.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I first was using a whey protein isolate that was flavored and sweetened with stevia. I really liked it during the pre-op phase and for the first week after surgery. Then the struggle began. The smell, the after taste. I began to have such a hard time. By the end of week 2, I added part of a banana. Better. Because I was having so much trouble I added 2 scoops to 1 1/2 water. That lasted for less than a week. I finally ordered some Unjury unflavored whey protein isolate. Much better. It does smell but not as bad, it does contain soy and milk so maybe that's it. I added it to crystal light. I've been real lucky and can eat a piece of fish now with no problem. Less protein drinks!

I'm not sure about the person Sandie heard about. For me I think it's a personal thing unless you have real tolerance problems. Like everyone has warned, don't buy too much of anything. I saved all my chocolate samples for after surgery because they were so good. I'm not a fan of chocolate post surgery!

Good luck Sandie!

Sandie-You'll just have to wait and see what you are able to tolerate after surgery and try not to worry yourself until then. There are quite a few protein alternatives available. What about egg white powder? Your bariatric nutritionist is a great source of information if you find yourself in a situation so make sure you utilize this resource.

thanks everyone. I was not so much worried as I had not heard of Whey or Soy making people vomit, thought it would cause diarrhea instead of sensitive to it. I am fine. did not buy too much until I get to tasting after surgery so can then choose. I did find some protein drinks at Vitamin Shoppe that comes in a can and has many different flavors and a lot of protein in each can but will wait to see what tastes good after the surgery for sure.

I did find some protein drinks at Vitamin Shoppe that comes in a can and has many different flavors and a lot of protein in each can but will wait to see what tastes good after the surgery for sure.

Don't be seduced by protein counts per drink in excess of 15g. Many nutritionists and medical professionals believe the body cannot make use of more than 15g of protein at any one time. More than 15g won't hurt you; you just won't get any (or much) additional benefit from it. Serious bodybuilders may be an exception to this.

YES you are correct, I was told cannot absorb much more than 19 g of protein. also best to use Whey isolate if you use Whey and not concentrate since concentrate is much harder to be absorbed I am told. I surely am NOT an expert in any of this but that is what I was told. The powder I have is both concentrate and isolate so not sure how good that is but will use it as long as I can get it down. Getting anxious, Monday is my big day, have to be there 2 hrs before the operation so .... I wonder how many people go out and eat last meal as opposed to staying on pre op diet to the end. I tend to think I will stick to the diet to the end. I have not gotten the fluids in, I get about one bottle of water with Crystal Light in it a day and it should 4 15 oz bottles, hope I can get those in after the surgery.
You all are such a wonderful source of support and information!!!!!!!!!
To those who are going Dec 4, we are in this really together, lets promise to post as soon as we are able to. I know drugs make me not want to be on the computer but I will try to at least post that I lived through it and how I feel and my experience at the hospital.

Back