• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post-Op Weakness

So... WLS alumns... I am about a week post-op and doing everything I am told... actually getting almost 6-8 cups of fluid in, including protein shakes, broth, diluted juices, etc... and am quite proud of that. What an amazing accomplishment and I feel so lucky that I've not experienced the severe naseau after leaving the hospital that most have. Aside from the abdominal discomfort due to the trauma of surgery, I am still quite so weak and dizzy... I feel like my head is in a cloud all day. I am concerned about returning to work next week. Do any of you have suggestions or can share you experience with how long it will take to shake off this fatigue? I cannot function in the real world like this, let alone support my family with 2 kids, husband and a dog. Let us newbies know!!!

Enicholson, it took me about four weeks to shake the fatigue. However the dizziness you're talking about, I experienced that when standing up. I checked with my team and was told to cut my High Blood Pressure meds in half. Once I did that, I haven't experienced any dizziness. Are you walking or getting exercise in? The more you can do the better. It takes time to regain your strength and stamina after the surgery. Lastly, if the dizziness is all the time, you should consult with your Doc to make sure there isn't another issue.

Let us know how you're doing.

Frank

:cool:

Congratulations on your surgery and the start of your new life. I will tell you I had the fatigue/weakness for three weeks. I thought it would never end but surprisingly I just had a day when I did not need to lay down and kept going all day which was absolutely wonderful. I don't know if going back to work with the possibility of 1/2 days is an option but it is VERY important to listen to your body and rest when it is necessary and not push yourself, remember your body is the boss!!!

Take care and enjoy being a LOSER!!!;)

Ask yourDr for zofran i could not keep any thing down at first It works great. Your blood sugar might be to low like mine was and you might need to have some more sugar in your diet. you dont want to bottom out so you need to talk to your dr and check your sugar when you get that way

So... WLS alumns... I am about a week post-op and doing everything I am told... actually getting almost 6-8 cups of fluid in, including protein shakes, broth, diluted juices, etc... and am quite proud of that. What an amazing accomplishment and I feel so lucky that I've not experienced the severe naseau after leaving the hospital that most have. Aside from the abdominal discomfort due to the trauma of surgery, I am still quite so weak and dizzy... I feel like my head is in a cloud all day. I am concerned about returning to work next week. Do any of you have suggestions or can share you experience with how long it will take to shake off this fatigue? I cannot function in the real world like this, let alone support my family with 2 kids, husband and a dog. Let us newbies know!!!
It could be a number of things. You need to have full blood work to see what might be out of balance....thyroid?...mineral levels?....internal hemorrhaging?....deficiencies? I would start there....then look for allergic reactions to some of your food, powders, etc. You may need to get your protein from non-milk based sources rather than whey which is what they recommend for everyone!! I have been through this.....don't count on someone like a doctor to find the problem....search the internet...I recommend that you start with what I have learned and suggested here. Good luck.

Back