• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Op Weight Loss

JanB

Had bypass 18 days ago and I'm 25 lbs down ! I am a diabetic and sugars are running high. I believe this will level out.

Had bypass 18 days ago and I'm 25 lbs down ! I am a diabetic and sugars are running high. I believe this will level out.

Hello and welcome.

You had the gastric bypass?

And your sugars are still running high?

What is high? Give me more info. I too am T2 diabetic. The gastric bypass immediately normalized my sugar. My typical readings now are around 110. When are you measuring your sugars?

Are you T2?

What meds were you taking or still taking? Do you use insulin?

I am really surprised by your statement.

I have always controlled my A1C and my sugar levels with the use of Metformin er 2000mg and up to 90 units a day of Novolog fast insulin. I don't need any meds anymore at this point. Again, the normalization was immediate. I had one insulin dose in the hospital and that was the last dose I needed.

Post all your info please. We can help you better by doing so. I am happy you came to this forum.

There are plenty of people that will be here to help you.

Down 25 pounds in 18 days is terrific. Weight loss is very individual.

I am post op now 3+ months and down 64 pounds and dropping. The weight loss rate has slowed down but it continues.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I had bypass, wasn't diabetic but my sugars ran high because of my pcos. After surgery my bs levels dropped really low and they actually had to give me orange juice and other things to bring it up so I had the opposite problem as you for probable the first month and it still continues off and on. Every one's body is different but chat with your doctor and see if its something your doing or not doing, but like you said it could just be your body trying to figure itself out.

I have even more questions.

Assuming you are T2 diabetic, did you control your diabetes before the operation? What was your last A1C. What meds were you taking? Did you use insulin?

My A1C was always under 6, usually 5.4 to 5.8. I always checked my blood sugars during the day up to 7 times a day. I did so before a meal and 2 hours after a meal and always first thing in the morning. There were days I even checked it more.

So, it is real good to know where you started before the bypass and where you are at now. Saying your blood sugars are high without all the surrounding knowledge isn't enough. If you were completely out of control and you ran high blood sugars all along, it might take a little time for the sugars to come down. You should then still be on meds and doing what you can to keep your Blood sugars controlled.

You know it and I know it diabetes is a killer.

Ralph

Hi, thanks for your interest. I have been a diabetic for 38 yrs. Was on metformin and went on insulin about 4 or 5yrs on high doses. A1C usually 8 or. I am under the doc's care and have an appointment with my endo next week. Had one this week but got cancelled because of a snowstorm. I'm sure we'll get it regulated and they think it will be normal as I lose more weight. I am 225 right now. T2 diabetic.

Yeah, that is what they think, In time it will be fine. Now I'm running 200-250 since we added Lantus back. It had gone to 333 last week.

I have even more questions.

Assuming you are T2 diabetic, did you control your diabetes before the operation? What was your last A1C. What meds were you taking? Did you use insulin?

My A1C was always under 6, usually 5.4 to 5.8. I always checked my blood sugars during the day up to 7 times a day. I did so before a meal and 2 hours after a meal and always first thing in the morning. There were days I even checked it more.

So, it is real good to know where you started before the bypass and where you are at now. Saying your blood sugars are high without all the surrounding knowledge isn't enough. If you were completely out of control and you ran high blood sugars all along, it might take a little time for the sugars to come down. You should then still be on meds and doing what you can to keep your Blood sugars controlled.

You know it and I know it diabetes is a killer.

Ralph

Yes it sure is, Ralph. It killed my poor husband 3 yrs ago. He had kidney failure among other problems. He had type 2 diabetes for the last 25 yrs of his life. The cardiologist said if he would have had a gastric bypass 10 yrs ago that he would be alive today. He wanted to live so badly. It was so very sad.

Yeah, that is what they think, In time it will be fine. Now I'm running 200-250 since we added Lantus back. It had gone to 333 last week.

Wow!

The diabetes was never really controlled that well.

Hopefully, with the operation and your new eating habits the blood sugar count and the A1C will come down into the normal range.

I guess you fully understand how serious this is.

As time goes on you should see the numbers come down. You should see the numbers come down even now, if you are following your new food plan. It is especially important for you to go hi protein (protein first) and mimimal carbs. I would hope that you can keep the carbs under 60 grams a day even better 30 grams a day. See what that does to help bring these numbers down.

When you say high doses of insulin, what are you saying? I needed 90 units per day of Novolog fast insulin to keep my blood sugars in the range of 90 to 140. As I have said I kept my A1C in the 5's usually 5.4 to 5.8.

Best wishes,

You can come to me anytime with questions.

The issue I always had with endo's and the American Diabetic Association is they never fully recognized the need to cut back carbs as a diabetic. I looked at the recommended diabetic diet and rejected it completely.

I followed low carb once I found out I was diabetic about 6 years ago. I did my best to keep carbs between 30-60 grams per day and almost always under 100 grams. That is not to say there were days when I went over the 100 grams, but then I used more insuling to keep the blood sugar count in check.

Ralph

Back