• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post surgery’s/ your experience

I was on only liquids for 2 weeks, and that was fine with me because I had zero appetite. I started soft foods on the 3rd week. I didn’t have an appetite for 4 or 5 weeks out, and then it was not much.

Congrats, Chad. I also had the bypass. I was on clear liquid the first week, regular liquids for weeks 2 and 3. So, I did not get to anything puree/soft until weeks 4 & 5. Once I got there though, I had no issues. Just make sure you follow the guidelines they give you, especially amounts. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

I was on only liquids for 2 weeks, and that was fine with me because I had zero appetite. I started soft foods on the 3rd week. I didn’t have an appetite for 4 or 5 weeks out, and then it was not much.
How in the world are y’all finding a way to get your protein in while on full liquids? It’s horrible!!!! I don’t want to drink it! The shakes I enjoyed before surgery, I can’t stand anymore.

How in the world are y’all finding a way to get your protein in while on full liquids? It’s horrible!!!! I don’t want to drink it! The shakes I enjoyed before surgery, I can’t stand anymore.
My surgeon said any liquid counted towards the full liquid count. That is not how every doctor does things, so follow what yours says. But protein shakes, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, and broth all counted towards the 64 oz for me.

My surgeon said any liquid counted towards the full liquid count. That is not how every doctor does things, so follow what yours says. But protein shakes, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, and broth all counted towards the 64 oz for me.
Yes, my DR. Said the same. However, my Dr. requires me to consume 60 - 80 grams of protein a day. That’s what I’m having the most difficulty with.

How much protein is in your shakes? I had the protein drinks, 2 a day, plus protein water then I would have broth, and SF popsicles in a day. Some days were harder than others in trying to get all that in.
I was drinking the premier shakes from Walmart they had 30g of protein. Today I bought an organic protein powder that has less protein, but it isn’t made from isolate. It has 20g protein and I added a booster of obvi powder which added 10g of protein. I made it an hour ago and I still haven’t been able to drink it all.

What kind of protein drinks? I’d like to know more about that.

I had surgery today. Rouen X Bypass. In my hospital bed now.
So, the liquids continue afterwards. What was your experience/timeline post surgery to tolerate soft stuff like mashed potato, squash mushed, refried beans and the like?
Thank you all

My surgery was 12/9/2020.

I have to say that my stomach seems to prefer liquids/mashed up foods still at 6 weeks out. Best part is I am not hungry, however I have noticed that my eyes are still bigger than my stomach. I cant eat all of anything I get, even if its 8oz. of low fat cottage cheese and I am not hungry. I wonder if this stays this way forever?

I heard other people say not to get too many shakes stocked up before surgery as your taste can change. There are plenty of them out there, different brands, different flavors. Try experimenting. If you are using powder protein, I've found adding ice, using milk instead of water and putting it into a high powered blender like a Ninja helps give it a nicer texture.... kind of like a milk shake.

I heard other people say not to get too many shakes stocked up before surgery as your taste can change. There are plenty of them out there, different brands, different flavors. Try experimenting. If you are using powder protein, I've found adding ice, using milk instead of water and putting it into a high powered blender like a Ninja helps give it a nicer texture.... kind of like a milk shake.
Thank you! Yes, they told me that too. Apparently, it’s true. I didn’t think that I had stocked up to much, but I have several left that I just can’t stand the taste or texture. I did talk with the NP from my Surgeons office. She said that I should do the best that I can. Drink as much protein as I can, that makes me feel better.

Back