• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Post Surgery Blues

With all the cold dark days and lack of energy I've become really depressed. I'm having trouble eating. I'm on soft foods now but everything taste weird to me and I feel nauseated after I eat. I only eat 2-3 bites at a sitting. It seemed ok til the food reaches my stomach then It hurts. I am drinking more water and not wanting to eat because of the nausea and discomfort of digestion. I take all my meds in the morning and feel ok till around 3pm then I'm exhausted. I take a once a week B12 but I don't think that's helping. I just want to sleep to avoid eating. The couple of days that the sun came out I did try to walk around the block. I made it but when I got home I just wanted to sleep. How do I get out of this rut?

With all the cold dark days and lack of energy I've become really depressed. I'm having trouble eating. I'm on soft foods now but everything taste weird to me and I feel nauseated after I eat. I only eat 2-3 bites at a sitting. It seemed ok til the food reaches my stomach then It hurts. I am drinking more water and not wanting to eat because of the nausea and discomfort of digestion. I take all my meds in the morning and feel ok till around 3pm then I'm exhausted. I take a once a week B12 but I don't think that's helping. I just want to sleep to avoid eating. The couple of days that the sun came out I did try to walk around the block. I made it but when I got home I just wanted to sleep. How do I get out of this rut?

You could try talking to someone else who has had surgery and understands your problems. Also have you talked to your surgeon and the nutritionist to make sure everything physically is okay??

I don't have any great advice, just an observation. I noticed yesterday that the sun didn't set before 6 pm and thought SPRING IS COMING!!!

Absolutely talk to your Doctor, your nutritionist and your psychologist.

It is no good what is happening to you right now. Be proactive and seek help.

I wonder if you are following the guidelines your Doctor gave to you. At minimum you should be reviewing everything with your bariatric team.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Ok, First Question: How fast are you eating? If you eat too fast, you will get nauseous. Make sure you are taking time between bites. Put your fork down and wait 60 seconds after swallowing before picking up your fork again.
Second Question: Are you thoroughly chewing your food? Be sure that you are not swallowing large chunks, it should be the consistency of applesauce before you swallow. The large chunks will cause nausea.
Third (and final) Question: Are you drinking while you are eating? I'm assuming you're not, but if you are then that can also cause nausea.

Remember you are still healing, so it may take you a bit longer before your stomach will accept food easily, use Protein Shakes to get in your protein and keep working at it. It will get better. Please let us know how you are doing, we care.

Frank

:cool:

Hi suga-mamma
I had the sleeve and experience the same thing. It is getting better. I'm thinking you are still on puréed and soft food, maybe tuna and chicken? Be sure to chew until the bite is liquid. I found it was better for me to eat standing and stroll around the kitchen. I kind of pick at my food. I'll set up a plate to munch on during the day. I have 3Tbs of peanuts, 1oz cheese, 2-4 slices of soft fruit like a melon, or mango. Then I'll take a bite as I pass by. I found moving helped get the food down and keep it there. For weeks I was vomiting at least 2 or 3 times a day. Once I got this system started I haven't thrown up in over a week.

You will need to focus on protein at first. I added the fruit just in the past two weeks. The peanuts have fiber to help with the digestion. There are teas that I drink that help with digestion and nausea med. your doctor can prescribe nausea meds for you. I was on three nausea meds and two antacid meds at first. I don't take any of them now.

The depression is normal because of the surgery. Evidently the lower portion of the stomach has a lot of hormones and depression is a normal side affect at first. It'll pass. The weather of course doesn't help. Don't worry about it, just hang in there it will get better day by day.

Go ahead and sleep. Take naps let your body heal. Your body has just been put through a very stressful ordeal, pamper it. Remember you now have a baby belly treat it like an infant and you'll be rewarded.

I would recommend viewing all of Linneys YouTube videos. I think you can find them in the Introductions category. Some people have a harder time with nausea and acid reflux with the sleeve. You and I are some of those people. But I promise you it does get better. Right now you are probably loosing a lot of weight, if that can be a bright side too.

Good luck and just be patient.

OK, lots of good advice here

So, lets hear back from you on what was said.

Frank and Gr8k8 have given some detailed advice as well. I was also wondering about those type of questions.

Lets hear what you have been doing and perhaps what you need to change.

We want to help, even walk you through in baby steps with tips and hints.

So get a little more specific on how you go about your day, how you eat (fast or slow, mini bites, how long it takes to finish a 3 ounce meal, etc.). Do you stop after a few bites and let the gas (burping) get out before continuing, etc., etc.,

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back