• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Powder vitamins making me nauseous

NanaG67

I finally got some protein and vitamin powder from New Life Bariatric Supplements...I have taken the vitamins twice now and each time I felt very nauseous afterwards...has anyone else experienced this? Will it pass after surgery?

I need to find something inexpensive to take, I was originally told Flintstone gummy vitamins, but was told not to take them by my nutritionist, I am thinking that since my surgeon's office has a rep from Bariatric Advantage that he is trying to make more money out of it so trying to get all his patients to take them. Not everyone can afford these vitamins. I am only affording surgery because of my insurance, otherwise I would still be trying to do this the old fashioned way. :(

I take flintstones complete. I am currently waiting on new dentures, so I crush one between two wooden spoons and mix with cold water. I actually like the taste of it.

I guess as long as my vitamin intake is good then there shouldn't be a reason why I couldn't take them. Thanks

I also take Flintstones complete. I found the big bottle at WalMart to be the best price around. It doesn't list iron on the front but the back labeling shows it has slightly more iron than Flintstones with iron on the front label. These are chewables but not gummies. The nutritionist said any gummy supplements have the potential to cause a blockage after surgery and said not to use them, ever. Makes sense to me.

Thanks Pat, I will definitely look for those when I go to Walmart. My husband says that the reason the vitamins are making me feel sick is because my body isn't used to them. Wasn't really sure about that, but we will see. One of my friends suggested crackers and that is fine and well until Sunday night, but after that I am starting my pre-op liquid diet...1 week to go!! I'm so excited!! :cool:

I always make sure to take my meds and supplements with a meal and never had any problems. Some people have a hard time with calcium supplements. I wasn't allowed to start taking calcium until 5 weeks after surgery. Check with your nutritionist to see if he/she has recomendations on when to start taking certain supplements after surgery. It can make a big difference on how well you are able to tolerate them. Afterall, everything changes after surgery. Good luck to you Nana. I'm sure everything will be fine with your surgery. I was a bundle of nerves before mine and I hate hospitals stays but was able to tolerate things regardless. Your medical team has your best interest in mind so don't be shy about asking for pain meds, anti-gas meds, etc. They usually don't offer anything because they know you will let them know if you are uncomfortable or need something to help you along.

Pat, it's not the calcium, I have a liquid one that is awesome, it is the multivitamin, it is orange flavored and powdered and you add a scoop to 2-4 oz of water, but it is so gritty and chalky tasting it is hard to get down. I start liquids on Monday, so not sure how it will go down well.

Nana, I use Centrum chewables. They are orange flavored. I suck on them like a piece of hard candy and I like them. They do contain iron. Was advised by Doctor and Nutritionist not to use gummies. They are little bit pricey but I feel they are worth it. Now, if I could just find a decent Calcium Citrate I'd really be happy. The one I have tastes like maalox which is OK and it is reasonably priced so will just keep looking.

Have you tired Wellesse calcium citrate?? It is liquid and tastes like oranges, really good and it contains vitamin D3

Some of my replies haven't posted. I am assuming they got lost in cyberspace or I did something wrong. I will try your suggestion next time I order my calcium. I had tried one liquid that was lemon flavored but still had the powder in it and it made me nauseous. Thanks for the suggestion. Thank heavens my shakes mix really well (Unjury which is sold at my Bariatric Center). I mix them in various flavors of Crystal Light, juices, or no fat milk and they are even tasty and provide a variety of flavors. Wish I could just take pills LOL. Good luck on your surgery! Joy

Ditto Javajoy; I believe the cost at Walmart may have been about $8 for 100 chewables of the Centrum, Adult chewables.
Orange in flavor but not too sweet like a candy, larger, football shaped & scored at 1/2 point.

Was told many, many times, not to get vitamins & minerals through a powder drink; too many calories while eating real food slowly for a meal prepares you more for each step.

Flintstones; 1) made for kids, 2) fairly expensive, 3) need to take 2 daily - just saying'?

Anything Gummy - big no go per the med professionals on my care team, also not inexpensive.

Also found a B12 at Walmart that is disolvable or probably smaller than a pencil eraser that can be swallowed; $0.88/bottle.
I can't remember exactly how many inside but seemed like a pretty good deal, they were located near the checkout in a display.
Bottles are White w/blue & white label, not a fancy brand with other vitamins & minerals.

Of course you should check with your medical professionals on your care team.

Just wanted to share; I think we're all trying to be as thrifty as possible with med expenses, life & food prices always increasing, too.

Hi robergnm, I have found lots of things at Walmart like the B12. But, you need to let the B12 dissolve under your tongue. It absorbs better that way. My levels were low so I had to start that before surgery. The bottle I bought is enough for about a year for 88 cents LOL. Very reasonable. Since you had RNY letting it dissolve under your tongue will work better. I even buy my protein powder at the Bariatric Center because postal charges were so high. Thanks for the info. Need to save wherever we can. Joy

Back