• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

pre op stuff

Dianal

Went and got my labs supposed to go to the dr's on Monday if the tests come back. My family doctor didn't like the way my ekg looked so he is sending me to a cardiologist but I did a stress test and everything looked okay so I don't know what's going on anyone have any ideas? Diana

Dianal-Belive it or not an EKG is not too accurate. Below is part of an article I found. Personally, I would much rather have a cardiologist run tests on me before a surgery. They use much more accurate testing methods that show detailed images and / or the actual functioning of your heart rather than relying on electrical impulses. I also had to see a cardiologist prior to my surgery.

"The study of 500 patients found a false positive reading between 77 and 82 percent in patients screened by electrocardiogram, and a false negative reading between 6 percent to 7 percent in the same patient population..."

Hi diana. I have no real cardiac issues but i have a strong famly history of cardiac problems so my pcp required i see a cardiologist and have a stress test prior to giving me a letter of medical clearance. Alltesting is complete now and i have a surgery date of 8/28. Good luck to you!

I had a stress test already and apparently it was okay because they gave me the go ahead and a date after that thank you marge good luck to you too

Diana-Like Marge, I was in the same situation with a family history of cardiac problems. Luckily I didn't have to have a stress test because I had one about 9 months before my RNY because of a hernia surgery I needed. I ended up getting a heart ultrasound for the RNY just to check the function. And of course they did an EKG during pre-op, it's pretty much standard practice.

Thanks Marge and Pat , still waiting on the appointment with the cardiologist. The Primary doctor's office is supposed to be getting it for me . Guess it's hurry up and wait again. That's the way it goes.

Back