• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre surgery Diet

So here I go, the "real" start of my journey. Yesterday I went to my second wls class. Weighed in at 299!!!! (The HIGHEST I have been EVER!) I need to lose 30lbs before. And go on a 1200 cal diet. So as of today. I am going to battle this. I need all the support and food suggestions I can get. My fiancé is great! He came with me to my class. He will be great support. But as we All know. Outside support and support that comes from same experiences helps tremendously! So Thank You in advance. My first surgeon appt is in 3 weeks... I want to have lost some weight by then. Also I do take Prozac, a very lil dose, which had contributed to getting me to that horrific number. So that is another block I need to hurdle around one way or another. Again. Thank You for your feedback. -Crystal

Congrats Crystal to the start of a new you.. Did the doctor give you a pre-printed diet sheet? I went on optifast for 2 weeks pre-op and lost 14 lbs. seems like I ate one meal a day (small..like protein,vegetabel and fruit) and drank lots of water. Crunchy veggies were a help for me for that evening meal.Each program is different. You may get a suggestion from sparkpeople .com lll lots of great ideas on there.. Wishing you the best.. I started out at 301 288 day of surgery and weigh 207 today... I have gained 30 lbs..in the last 2 years.. I am 4 years post op.. Today I am starting my 7 months to goal program that I was given.. pray for me because it is very different from what I have been eating! Also if you can start walking even if it is 10 minutes at a time...

Best wishes for the path you've chosen. The pre surgery diet is the first step in your journey. But I can't express enough how important it is to get your exercise in before surgery. The more you exercise the easier your recovery will be and the faster you will be back on your feet.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I drank the atikins protein shakes and ate one chicken breast and crunchy veggies! I didnt even lose all the weight my doc wanted and he still did the surgery, I also did not exersise and wishing now I would have....I had my surgery yesterday AND I AM ALL GOOD!!!

Back