• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pre-surgery liquid diet

So I understand that I must do the liquid diet for a week before my surgery date. My issue is that I work in the auto industry building cars, 8 to 10 hours a day, Monday to Saturday. Given the restrictive diet and heavy manual labor, I am concerned that I will have problems pulling the diet off. From previous experience, sometimes the more active I am seems to work up hunger and the liquid diet is not something that is workplace friendly (especially working in a plant/warehouse). I am worlndering should I try to go on my medical leave the week (liquid diet week) before my surgery, or am I just being a bit over concerned? I just dont see how I will be able to complete a very low calorie liquid diet, while running up and down the line chasing cars. Any suggestions or advice from anyone please.

It all depends on the type of liquid diet. If you are replacing with high protein shakes you should be okay. Maybe you should give the diet a trial run on a day you are off work and see how you feel. Whatever you do don't cheat it is to important.

Best of luck
Sharon

I'm at the liquid pre-op stage too. The first few days were really rough-all I could think of was food and it was the weekend and I was at home where there's lots of food!!!! Maybe being at work will be a blessing in disguise by keeping your mind off the hunger. Perhaps you could take 3 ready-made shakes with you and ask for an additional break. They might be glad enough to have you at work that a short extra break would be worth it to them. Women who are nursing babies stop to pump, don't they? Talk with your supervisor--they are getting a healthier and happier employee in the long run! Best wishes!!
Mimi

Maybe ask your doctor about taking one more for work. Or maybe half of one to get you by. Make sure you space them out well! I have my first at 630am before work, I drink my second one about 130, then so I am not hungry at night, I wait til 730 for my last one. And it seems to work, I am not starving in the morning when I wake up, or I am not hungry in the middle of night, I was really worried about that! You are lucky, I have to do mine for 2 WEEKS!:rolleyes: Good luck!

One week piece of cake lol mine is also 2 weeks im on day 5 .absolutely i would stay at work keep busy is the key for me i keep my powder in baggies and mix as i need them, good luck karan

Choclate,orange dream shake! 1 scoop protine powder,1tea spoon cocoa powder, 1 squrt orange trangerine liquid (mio) oh my gosh delicious! I have a few outher ideas if ur interested. Contact hunger buddy

I have lost 10 lb the first week is the hardest, keep busy i went camping stayed away from smells of food my husband cooked this am and boy did it smell to good he said he wont cook untill after my surgery, i made alot of home made broth my husband ate the goodies. Lol

I don't know who started his forum, but kudos. I begin my liquid diet on Sunday, which is also my 55th birthday. Happy Birthday to me. This will be the best present I can give myself. My surgery is Wednesday the 28th. I did the liquid protien diet for 7 months back in 1987 and lost 150 lbs, but was not emotionally ready for such a drastic change. I am embracing this new chance and have received some counseling to adjust to this new body I will have. Keep the faith and know that there are others here to support and encourage. :eek:

I had a hard time on the pre-surgery diet too. I ended up having 2 protein shakes, then a light dinner (chicken or fish with veggies, no carbs).

Fast forward, I'm now 9 days out of surgery, and on full liquid diet. It's amazing how the hunger and craving pains have disappeared. I'm averaging about 800 calories per day while shedding 2-3 pounds per day...it's awesome.

I don't know who started his forum, but kudos. I begin my liquid diet on Sunday, which is also my 55th birthday. Happy Birthday to me. This will be the best present I can give myself. My surgery is Wednesday the 28th. I did the liquid protien diet for 7 months back in 1987 and lost 150 lbs, but was not emotionally ready for such a drastic change. I am embracing this new chance and have received some counseling to adjust to this new body I will have. Keep the faith and know that there are others here to support and encourage. :eek:

Happy Birthday, Diva!!!!:):eek:

I'm about four days out of surgery but I continue to have A headache. I don't think I can take anything for it.

LouC did you have the surgery? I know you were having trouble with the pre-diet.

diva_water_bud A positive attitude is half the battle, Good luck with the pre-dieting :)

Had the surgery and it actually went pretty well. However I pulled out my back Trying to take care of the surgery in front. Lots of pain and I don't know what I can take for it..

Had the surgery and it actually went pretty well. However I pulled out my back Trying to take care of the surgery in front. Lots of pain and I don't know what I can take for it..

Did your doc prescribe anything for post surgery. Mine prescribed liquid tylenol with codine.

getting ready for 2 week of shakes

Hi thanks for that idea. Can i have that combination for the 2 weeks? What other suggestions do you have.
thank you,
shell50*

I will have to be on the liquid diet for two weeks before surgery. Two shakes then a light dinner a snack as well. Plain yogurt or 10 carrot sticks. I think I will be ok right now I already drink a shake for breakfast so I think I will be ok with the two shakes. Good luck with the pre-surgery diet and your surgery.

Back