• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Problem Child....Hives!!

Time 4 me

Has anyone had problems with hives, apparently it is an allergic reaction but to what??? I am breaking out with an itching rash and hives mainly on my arms and legs (sometimes my stomach) and it is setting me crazy!! Benedryl stops the itching but it comes right back when that wheres off. Could it be new vitamins, protein, antibiotics...........HELP!!! I am due to see my surgeon on Thurs and I am going to try to get in with my Primary Doc today.

I am soooooooooooo frustrated it has been one thing after another and I just want to focus on my weight loss and exercise, I have not exercised due to the weakness of pneumonia and now this.

My experience with all the outside issues are not typical and the actual wls has not been difficult. I've just had the wind blown out of my sails and just want to feel better!!!!!!!:mad:

Aaack!

Most likely a food allergy but could be drug or environment-related.

Write down everything you are putting in your mouth AND anything that is touching your body. Try to think what the newest items are. If there are new things, try to date when you started them.

How did you know to take Benadryl? Do you have other allergies? Begin your list with any known or suspected allergies.

When did the hives start? Can you associate their onset with something new in your diet?

What is your protein? Whey protein isolate? Whey protein concentrate? Caseinate? Soy? Egg? What else is in the powder/drink?

Are your vitamins new? Do they contain anything else, like silica or cellulose?

What other supplements do you take? Are any of them new or have you recently changed brands?

How about your antibiotics? Have you taken them before?

Are you a milk drinker? Have you recently changed brands?

Are you drinking anything new? Electrolytic drinks? Other beverages?

Have you changed your bath soap? Hand soap? Shampoo? Rinse? Detergent or fabric softener? New perfume?

Any new air fresheners, either in the house or in the car?

Bought any new clothes, especially night clothes?

As soon as you have this all written down, put in a call to your nutritionist. This information also might help your pcp.

Don't wait. Do it now!

Let us know what you find out.

Hi T 4 Me. It sounds like an alergic reaction. I think Q is right, make sure to note any changes to what you have been doing, taking, wearing or buying and call your doctor ASAP, alergic reactions can get progressively worse. The pneumonia may have nocked out you immune system also. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :cool: Tom

Time 4 me-Not good. You mentioned antibiotics. You are probably allergic to them or some other new med. Your symptoms sound like a typical allergic reaction and from the sound of things it's more than a mild reaction and you should seek medical attention now. You said your appointment is Thursday, which is today. Please get in to see the doc as early as possible. I'm sure if you call the office, or better yet, be there as soon as they open, they will accomodate you considering the situation. Please let us know what happens.

Time 4 me,

What did you find out about your hives? All better now?

Did you have to make some changes?

Hi there Qaterra--What an ordeal it turned out to be, while I was hospitalized (post surgery) for the pneumonia I was treated with Avelox for 5 days because I am allergic to Penicillin and it has now been discovered that I am allergic to Avelox. Then they gave me Predisone to counter act the internal swelling, rash/hives and my surgeon then took me off the Predisone 3 days later due to possible bleeding in the pouch. So there I was back to square one....the end result was Benedryl, sleep, oatmeal baths and 10 days of going out of my mind scratching, patting and rubbing. Praise God that is over and now I am just fighting the constant fatigue. I have to say it is very depressing because I have always been go, go, go type of girl and I just can't now. I feel like everything I do is such an effort and I so look forward to the day I wake up feeling that energy again!!!

Thanks so much for checking up on me, take care and God Bless!!!:D

Holy cow!

Sometimes it seems like they fix one thing, only to break another.

I'm glad you got it figured out and won't ever have to worry about that particular one again.

As to the go, go, go girl . . . she'll be back. She's healing and resting just now, thank you very much! Be gentle and patient with her while she recuperates.

And awaaay we go!!!

Back