• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

problems swallowing alot of gas with food

jjrmommy

Has anyone else had this problem? Everytime I eat I get alot of trapped gas in my stomach. Nobody else seems to have this issue.

Are you using a straw? We are not supposed to, but some do anyway. Are you sipping or drinking? You might try some Gas X strips, they really helped me a lot. Others have used them in the Forum too. They come highly recommended. My doc told us that we would all hate him because of the gas. The high protein diet is also gas causing and I do believe most of the Forum have had the problem. It gets better as time passes. Joy

Hi JJRMommy, Welcome. We all have problems with gas, like JavaJoy suggested see if you can have gas x. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

It's not in my intestines. Every bite I take of anything gas gets trapped in my chest and stomach pouch. Dr is ordering an upper GI, hopefully I will get some answers.Anyone have this problem?

how do you know it is gas? what are the symptoms? are you talking while you eat, are yu swallowing air when you swallow? some people burp alot before surgery, so those people will burp even more after surgery. that is something you have to train yourself not to do,IF that is the problem.

4 weeks out still having the same problem.I am trying to be cosious of how I eat and swallow but I still get the gas in my stomach and chest. Its so frustrating!

Jjr-Excess gas is pretty common, especially in the beginning. Have you tried Gas-Ex? It won't eliminate 100% of gas but it sure helps quite a bit.

I guess I would want to know how you know it is gas and not a problem with the connection of stomach to esophogus. Protein drinks create a lot of gas, so much so that I get nauseated after a few sips of protein drink. Sip means barely enough to swallow, not half fill mouth of fluids. Gas-X helps all kinds of gas, in stomach or intestines. SO what are the actual symptoms to lead you to the belief it is gas. UGI will be able to see if there are any leaks.

I had an Upper GI and it showed no blockage. Would it show if there was a problem with the connection of the esophogus? Each bite I swallow is traced with a gas bubble that sometimes comes up or gets trapped in my stomach or chest. It's very uncomfortable and FRUSTRATING! I am being causious of how I eat and breath but I'm still having problems.

YES the UGI series will show the connections at the esphogus and at the stomach/intestines juncture. Were you gassy before surgery? Like burps alot of flatulence alot before surgery? Lots of people are air swallowers and that does not go away with the surgery. IT is training, it is hard to break the habit. What does your doc say?

I was never really gassy before surgery. How would I train myself not to swallow so much air? My Dr. says it's probably just me swallowing alot of air when I eat but never really gave me suggestions beside eat slower with smaller bites.I already do that. :(

The only thing I can suggest is to take gas-x strip just after you eat. eating very small amounts and eating with you mouth closed, no talking while eating etc.

Back