• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pros/Cons of Online Support Group compared to In-Person Support

Kevin

Staff member
Hey Guys. We're writing an article about the Pros & Cons of Online Support Groups compared to the In-Person Support Groups. What do you guys like about having an online support group, and what do you like better about in-person groups?

Well first question "What do you guys like about having an online support group". I like having the group atmosphere and hearing from and seeing people and getting to know them and seeing the physical changes as well as the personal change people feel and the self confidence, and also to hear from those that are years out and they can let us know what to watch out for. My group is also facilitated by a proffesional nutrtional expert and with a background in psychology, he's agreat guy and helps us out with nutritional ideas, fitness suggestions and how to deal with our pitfalls. That's just some of what I like.

Second question "What do you guys like about having an online support group". The thing I like about the online support group is I can talk with a larger group of people from all over the country going through the same thing I have gone through or folks that are trying to decide what kind of surgery they want and to hear from all of us on why we picked what we did. Here we also get to chat with other people and learn from each other and get to know one another to reach out for support 24/7/365, and that can be very important when someone just needs someone to talk to that understands what we are going through. This is also a great alternative for those who just can't get out of the house yet because of mobility problems or those that live over an hour away from a live support group and just can't make it every other week or even have trouble going once a month. Here we also get to know each other we just can't see the physical changes, unless we post pictures, But we do get to hear about the boost in self confidence and improvements in health.

Third question "what do you like better about in-person groups". This questions is what pollsters call a biased question, assuming that the person answering the question prefers the live group to the online group, but I digress. I really like both, the in person groups are great for us when we are just getting started or thinking about WLS or if we are slipping back into our old habits, where as the online group is great when our schedules just don't match up with that of the local support groups and we still want to interact and help others as well as seek advice from others that know what we are going through and also get to know each other. :cool: Tom

I would have to agree here. I belong to a weight loss support group locally where I live. I am the secretary of the chapter and the group is awesome! I do like the online forums though because I can talk to a greater variety of people, like on here that are going through or have already gone through the same things as me.

I wouldn't give either one of them up for anything. My local group has contests and incentives and programs to help people learn. Here I am getting advice from others who have had the surgery and know what each other are going through.

I agree with everyone!!!!! For me daily i can look forward to talking or reading others comments. This more often helps my need to be with others that understands. The support groups here are somewhat educ. Monthly meetings often with support people also attending. The group is large, various ages, various post op lengths of times, every type. The site offers the ability to find people with similar experiences all around. I know i can count on this site no matter what!!! Yet i appreciate not all use computer type devices. Glad for it all! Elaine (lee0412)

Back