• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein bars

Pat99

I thought a thread about protein bars would be good. Here we can recommend brands, give an opinion on how a particilar bar tastes to us, where to find them, etc.

My nutritionist recommended the following brands. At first glance some may have a high sugar content but it's because of the sugar alcohols which are metabolized differently than regular sugar. According to my nutritionist all of these are perfectly acceptable for bariatric patients, including those who have had gastric bypass.

Pure Protein
Pure Protein Revolution
Simple Truth (especially the Peanut Butter Supreme & Double Chocolate)
Atkins (be careful to choose the meal replacement bars with high protein, not the snack bars which have very little protein).
EAS Myoplex

I have tried the Pure Protein and Pure Protein Revolution. Both are good but the Revolution is better. I tried the Revolution chocolate peanut caramel bar and have to say it's the very best tasting protein bar in my opinion. Of course, everyone tastes things differently but I think it's worth a try for those who do not have peanut allergies. The Pure Protein (not Revolution) do have a medium soy flavor but still taste very good. So far I have only been able to find them at Kroger and was surprised that my local Walmart does not carry them along with the dozens of other brands they have.

I have not been able to find the Simple Truth brand yet.

Atkins bars are very good and can be found almost everywhere. Like I mentioned above, make sure you get the high protein bars, not the snack bars which offer only 1 or 2 grams of protein.

I have not been able to find the EAS Myoplex bars yet.

The on-line store on this forum offers a lot of protein bar choices. I have tried ALL of them *LOL* The only one I didn't like at all was the Strawberry Cheescake. One of my favories is the Lemon. They offer some sample packs too which give you a variety of different bars. I recommend these to someone who has no idea what they want yet and don't want to spend 8-12 bucks on one flavor just to find out they don't like it.

This store also offers a lot of other protein foods and drinks. I have tried many of the packaged meals that you just add water to and heat. Everything I tired was very, very good and was a life saver early after surgery when I didn't know what I wanted and didn't know where to find it. The chili and mac & cheese are especailly good in my opinion.

If you attend a live support group you might try to start an exchange program where you can bring in protein bars and other things you might not be crazy about. You can swap them out for something else that someone else brings in or buy them from each other.

I can't eat protein bars. I get so ill and they are just too big to consume. I am jealous of all of you that can eat them!!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Quest protein bars. 20 grams of protein, high in fiber, & most are 160-170 calories. The only flavor I have not liked was the strawberry cheesecake. I love the brownie, chocolate chip cookie dough, cinnamon roll, chocolate peanut butter, etc. They do cost more than the protein shakes. They can be somewhat expensive depending on where you get them. I've bought them at Max Muscle and Amazon. I found it was just cheaper to order them from the company itself.

Back