• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

protein intake

Renee

HI, My name is Renee and I had the gastric bypass on Feb 21, just 8 days ago. My HUGE prob is protein! I have yet to get in 65 grams of protein in a day as my surgeon has noted as necessary. I hate the shakes I have tried and I desperately need suggestions. I am scared I'm already failing and doing damage to myself. Also I need suggestions of vitamins that are not chewables. Someone please help. Thank you, Newbie

Protein is always a problem at first. Get in as much as you can. I too, could not and still can't stand the protein shakes. There is a drink at GNC called Isopure, it is a 20 oz drink with 40 grams of protein. It gets you part of your liquid requirement and a large chunk of your protein. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I've found a couple that I don't mind at all. Another option is flavorless protein powder that you can mix into Sugar Free Kool Aid or some of the soft foods.

Remember to get as much as you can it, and it make take some more time before you get real good at getting in the protein. It's ok. Let us know how things are going.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you very much Frank. I will check out the Isopure. I'm not a quitter, but I am a bit nervous about how my body is reacting to the changes. Thanks again!:)

Believe me, your body will adjust. Humans are wonderful creations, we adapt to just about anything and you will too. Keep at it and never give up.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Renee,

I never got to 60 grams with any consistency. Maxed out around 50 to 55 g. I would be surprised if you get to more than 40 after just a week. Getting enough protein will always be the challenge. I am 10 months out and still cant get there with out a supplement. And they get old after a while. My favorite is Muscle Milk. Good flavors and convenient if you buy the ready to drink. Good luck.

Unjury chicken soup an there other products have 20 grams of protein each serving. I haven't had surgery yet 10 days away but dr gave me samples of unjury an I really like it. They have a strawberry sorbet powder you mix with water or one called chocolate splendor. I have tried all three and really liked them. Plan on using them to help me get in my protein after surgery. Keep up the good work.
Donna

Hi, I use the Unjury as well as that is recommended by my Bariatric Center. There are many good recipes out there to change the flavors. I tend to like the sour flavors like the strawberry sorbet. I also like the EAS advantage sold at Wally world and often use the Premier shakes I get at SAM's. Some of the recipes give you a pepper mint or you can add a banana and make a smoothie which is pretty good. Yogurt is a good source of protein as soon as you are allowed to have it. Later on you can have fish and grilled chicken and I think then it becomes much easier. At first, 60 Grams of protein was pretty daunting but it does get easier. Good luck! Joy

Renee-it's pretty normal not to be able to get your protien in at first but you need to keep trying. Give your nutritionist a call to see if he / she can help you find something you like. As JavaJoy mentioned, Unjury makes some good products and they taste good. Some bariatric surgeon's carry these in their office otherwise you have to order them on line directly from Unjury.

Back