• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein

npariseau

So I am 11 days post op and on a ohase 3 diet. I absolutely hate protein shakes they taste awful to me. Ive tried flavored, not flavored, powder, pre made, liquid concentrate, protein waters that to me seem thick... Idk what to do I need more protein. Is there any powders or liquids that are good with water? I read gen pro isnt really what they claim so wondering if anyone knew of anything else.

So I am 11 days post op and on a ohase 3 diet. I absolutely hate protein shakes they taste awful to me. Ive tried flavored, not flavored, powder, pre made, liquid concentrate, protein waters that to me seem thick... Idk what to do I need more protein. Is there any powders or liquids that are good with water? I read gen pro isnt really what they claim so wondering if anyone knew of anything else.

Unfortunately I don't. Does your "phase 3" include eggs, cheese and pureed meats? These are all good sources of protein and perhaps could "disguise" the taste of the protein powder better than liquids do? Good luck. Diane may have better suggestions for you since she's our group "chef". ;)

I actually don't know what a phase-3 diet is. It sounds like it's too early for you to be on anything except Phase 1. I mean you're supposed to be on liquids for at least 2 weeks well, isn't that right? And phase two if I understand it correctly is liquids that you can't see through or that are thicker then the broths you have in Phase 1. I had my surgery so long ago that food wasn't even listed in phases. I was just told to stay on clear liquids for a week and then I could introduce thick or unclear liquids like cream soups and cream of wheat the second week. The third week was more grown-up food like mashed potatoes and ground turkey and gravies, but all of the food was pureed in a food processor. So what is Phase 3 for you, np?

And by the way, I hate protein shakes too! A lot of members here have good recipes though, and you can search for recipes using the search engine on the first page.

I actually don't know what a phase-3 diet is. It sounds like it's too early for you to be on anything except Phase 1. I mean you're supposed to be on liquids for at least 2 weeks well, isn't that right? And phase two if I understand it correctly is liquids that you can't see through or that are thicker then the broths you have in Phase 1. I had my surgery so long ago that food wasn't even listed in phases. I was just told to stay on clear liquids for a week and then I could introduce thick or unclear liquids like cream soups and cream of wheat the second week. The third week was more grown-up food like mashed potatoes and ground turkey and gravies, but all of the food was pureed in a food processor. So what is Phase 3 for you, np?

And by the way, I hate protein shakes too! A lot of members here have good recipes though, and you can search for recipes using the search engine on the first page.
Phase 3 is
Mashed potatoes
Meat in baby food form
Cottage cheese etc
Its funny you should say thag bc I feel its to early, I was surprised the advanced me to that.
I feel like its to much and causes me major pain.

Wow, 11 days out and on pureed diet already? It if causes you pain at this stage, I would definitely delay that start. Unfortunately, the only liquids I know of for protein are the shakes, powders that you add water to, or pre-made drinks in the cartons. I'm a month and 3 days out; I still drink them because I'm afraid I won't get enough protein. I'm tired of them though, plus no matter how much I blend them or shake 'em, I still seem to swallow a "plug" that didn't get dissolved----gives me the heebie-geebies.
I have the Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurts-- they have 15 grams of protein. If you can have those soft foods you listed, you should be able to take the greek yogurts as well. Keep us updated; I'm sure there will be others coming along that have the same issues. Bless you! :D

Wow, 11 days out and on pureed diet already? It if causes you pain at this stage, I would definitely delay that start. Unfortunately, the only liquids I know of for protein are the shakes, powders that you add water to, or pre-made drinks in the cartons. I'm a month and 3 days out; I still drink them because I'm afraid I won't get enough protein. I'm tired of them though, plus no matter how much I blend them or shake 'em, I still seem to swallow a "plug" that didn't get dissolved----gives me the heebie-geebies.
I have the Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurts-- they have 15 grams of protein. If you can have those soft foods you listed, you should be able to take the greek yogurts as well. Keep us updated; I'm sure there will be others coming along that have the same issues. Bless you! :D
Ty I appreciate all advice, its definitely tough. Ill try to est more chicken pureed though. I spoke with a nutritionist, homeopath today who was very helpful. Many may not agree with his advice but I trust his opinion and I also reach to him for natural remedies etc.. he highly recommends salmon as its very high in protein so I will try more natural ways of getting protein.

Phase 3 is
Mashed potatoes
Meat in baby food form
Cottage cheese etc

So if you are having a hard time getting enough food in to match your protein, the first thing you should know is that it's okay to be low on protein for the first few weeks. Your body is going through a lot and you just might not be able to get enough nutrients right now.

That's why you're taking vitamins. You might even want to double up on what's already doubled up, your daily multivitamin. In the short-term, this won't cause you any problems, but as soon as your eating is back to normal, then only take two multivitamins a day as you've already been instructed to do for life.

I hope that you're not having a problem with dairy because that is the solution to your problem right now. The first thing you need to do is make some magic milk:

First up, the recipe for super milk or magic milk. It's simple but also kind of hard. The recipe is 1 quart of nonfat milk that you put in a blender and then pour in 1 packet of Milkman dry milk & blend. Now a cup of milk has 16 grams of protein instead of eight. That is a big help.​

I snipped that from an old post I sent here when I was first a member of this group. Once you make the milk, use it with everything you cook for yourself that can include milk. This includes fat-free sugar-free puddings, creamy soups like cream of chicken or mushroom, simple cereals like Malt-O-Meal or cream of wheat, or smoothies or hot chocolate or whatever liquid you can take in. You can also add yogurt to your smoothie for even more protein.

Magic milk is a lifesaver in terms of getting your protein. I still use it occasionally.

If you can't get Milkman, any powdered milk will do. Using Milkman with nonfat milk just tastes a lot better. I used to make a milk drink that contained 8 oz of milk and about a tablespoon of dark molasses. The molasses adds to your iron need and to me this drink was delicious as a treat. You don't need to worry about calories yet, but you do want to make sure that your body is as nutrient-rich as possible as you heal. And of course protein is the main building block of our entire physiology.

I usually don't dispute what a doctor tells you to do, but I think the membership here in general is in agreement that you are too early in the healing phase to be eating foods that are too solid. So use this milk with everything you're eating and make the food as liquid as possible. If you made Malt-O-Meal with this milk, instead of using any water on the stove, you would put one tablespoon of Malt-O-Meal into a cup of milk and bring it to a boil. Then you just cook it until it's slightly thick and slowly eat it.

That's really all I have to contribute go to your current phase. Do not move on to thicker foods or solids but do make sure you use milk and cook as many things as you can think of with it. It's kind of monotonous but I remember it being very comforting after I had surgery.

Just one more thing. Everything you consume should be taken in very slowly. It virtually passes through your pouch in a matter of minutes and then goes to your small intestine, which is where the nutrients are absorbed. Take your time and you probably will have less nausea, and you will certainly be getting more nutritional benefit. You don't have the digestive juices you used to have before that part of your stomach was removed or made tiny.

I hope this helps. It's really really simple. But if you can tolerate milk, you can double your protein right off the bat and protein helps you in so many ways during the healing process. When you start to eat semi-solid foods, you can steam some broccoli and puree it in the blender, then make a cheese sauce using magic milk to drizzle over it. Use it to make your own homemade soups like clam chowder, thickened with a tablespoon or two of instant mashed potatoes, or mix it half-and-half with beef or chicken stock (not broth, but the intensely concentrated stock made by reducing water and soup bones by half.) and use it as gravy. Protein protein protein.

Oh I just thought of something funny. My dad used to mix his food up on his plate and mash it all together and eat it glop by glop. We would just be so grossed out by this and we'd all be saying Ew, ew, how can you eat it like that? And he would say, It all goes to the same place so what's the difference?

Mashed, pureed, or liquefied, your post op food all has the necessary stuff in it and it all goes to the same place, all intended to help you be healthy and heal without pain.

I had the same issue but the problem was I was lactose and they said the shakes wasn’t milk based that I was told to drink well it was based with something dairy I found this one called primer from Walmart it was a life saver. I am two years in now and I have issues! Besides the dumping syndrome did anyone get a thumping like feeling in the top of their chest or at times my heart beats a bit heavy! I know a couple people that say that had the same issues and went to ER because they thought they were having a heart attack thankfully my heart is ok but they can’t tell me what’s causing the issue. I started taking my multi vitamins 1 twice daily instead of 2 once daily and that seemed to help with the thumping feeling in my chest. I am anemic so that may be the reason for my heart but I welcome any comments I am finding it difficult to get any answers from my doctor. I am lost 90% of the time with getting answers from them

I had the same issue but the problem was I was lactose and they said the shakes wasn’t milk based that I was told to drink well it was based with something dairy I found this one called primer from Walmart it was a life saver. I am two years in now and I have issues! Besides the dumping syndrome did anyone get a thumping like feeling in the top of their chest or at times my heart beats a bit heavy! I know a couple people that say that had the same issues and went to ER because they thought they were having a heart attack thankfully my heart is ok but they can’t tell me what’s causing the issue. I started taking my multi vitamins 1 twice daily instead of 2 once daily and that seemed to help with the thumping feeling in my chest. I am anemic so that may be the reason for my heart but I welcome any comments I am finding it difficult to get any answers from my doctor. I am lost 90% of the time with getting answers from them
Sheesh, sorry your doctor hasn't been responsive to you. Are you talking about your surgeon? What about your primary doctor? I'd ask for a referral to someone who could help you. That's so irresponsible of your surgeon to leave you hanging like this. Sorry for your struggles.

So is the thumping of your heart coming right after or fairly soon after you've eaten something? It is sometimes a different reaction to foods versus dumping syndrome, so instead of getting really tired and needing to sleep your heart feels like it's going to beat out of your chest. If it's happening out of nowhere, that's an issue that you should consult your doctor on, but I can tell you mine is directly tied to certain foods, especially foods that have hidden sugars or hidden caffeine that I wasn't aware of. Also, typically I have found that if you do end up having issues with dumping syndrome they tend to last well beyond surgery, as I'm 2 years out and it is something I deal with. Figuring out what foods you eat that tend to be high in starch or quickly convert into sugar once consumed and removing them from your diet can help avoid the issues. I hope you are able to figure something out soon!

So is the thumping of your heart coming right after or fairly soon after you've eaten something? It is sometimes a different reaction to foods versus dumping syndrome, so instead of getting really tired and needing to sleep your heart feels like it's going to beat out of your chest. If it's happening out of nowhere, that's an issue that you should consult your doctor on, but I can tell you mine is directly tied to certain foods, especially foods that have hidden sugars or hidden caffeine that I wasn't aware of. Also, typically I have found that if you do end up having issues with dumping syndrome they tend to last well beyond surgery, as I'm 2 years out and it is something I deal with. Figuring out what foods you eat that tend to be high in starch or quickly convert into sugar once consumed and removing them from your diet can help avoid the issues. I hope you are able to figure something out soon!
Thank you that really helps and yes it happens right after I eat certain food especially when I eat a salad. No the thumping or stabbing feeling is in the center of chest ( breast bone area), I have an appointment scheduled I am also 2 years out and the issues just keep coming. I am anemic also but they think it may be a herniated hernia in my esophagus but I really appreciate your Infor thanks.

Sheesh, sorry your doctor hasn't been responsive to you. Are you talking about your surgeon? What about your primary doctor? I'd ask for a referral to someone who could help you. That's so irresponsible of your surgeon to leave you hanging like this. Sorry for your struggles.
Yes it’s my primary care doctor! I have an appointment I am 2 years in and the issues just keep coming. I got through a lot with the help of support groups and not my doctor. Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately I don't. Does your "phase 3" include eggs, cheese and pureed meats? These are all good sources of protein and perhaps could "disguise" the taste of the protein powder better than liquids do? Good luck. Diane may have better suggestions for you since she's our group "chef". ;)
Have you tried Fairlife Core Power? They taste so good, with none of the typical aftertaste.

Back