• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein

I am in phase 3, my surgery was in early July. I basically have to eat 50-60 grams of protein now and I am finding it difficult to meet that. Especially when you can only have a limited amount of food at a sitting. I love fish so I eat a lot of that. My doctor told me not to use protein shakes and those really helped me. Has anybody else been told not to use protein shakes?

I'm just in the full liquid stage, but looking ahead in my notebook I see more than one protein shake a day is discouraged after six weeks.

The explanation given for this is that they want you to devolop a lifestyle that is not dependent on protein supplements.

They want you to try to get your protein in with your regular meals, using the proteins shakes only when you have to. I think it comes down to getting away from processed foods and learning how to prepare our own protein rich meals.

My target was 50 to 70 grams of protein. I did a lot of research, but found easy combinations to acheive that. Search the forum for "magic milk" and start there. I got 36 grams of protein in breakfast alone. And a 3 ounce serving of turkey will provide about that much, too.

I believe I posted a resource below containing information on the easiest and best ways to get protein in in your liquid, soft food and early stages of eating. IT'S NOT HARD TO DO!!! You must put your own needs first as you change your life.

And let me repeat my first 3-month weight loss numbers: 35, 25, 15 pounds. 75 pounds in 3 months, with no effort, just mindful eating. In total, 115 pounds in 14 months.

And I never felt deprived. I am a creative cook and really taught myself about nutrition so I could combine those two things. And I still focus on protein, 14 years later, and have not regained.

If you a

My target was 50 to 70 grams of protein. I did a lot of research, but found easy combinations to acheive that. Search the forum for "magic milk" and start there. I got 36 grams of protein in breakfast alone. And a 3 ounce serving of turkey will provide about that much, too.

I believe I posted a resource below containing information on the easiest and best ways to get protein in in your liquid, soft food and early stages of eating. IT'S NOT HARD TO DO!!! You must put your own needs first as you change your life.

And let me repeat my first 3-month weight loss numbers: 35, 25, 15 pounds. 75 pounds in 3 months, with no effort, just mindful eating. In total, 115 pounds in 14 months.

And I never felt deprived. I am a creative cook and really taught myself about nutrition so I could combine those two things. And I still focus on protein, 14 years later, and have not regained.

If you a

That's great!! I am down 35 pounds in 1 1/2 months. I am not a cook at all, I rely on a lot of fish I can easily bake, other seafood and chicken, but I still need that protein shake at night to make it.

I am in phase 3, my surgery was in early July. I basically have to eat 50-60 grams of protein now and I am finding it difficult to meet that. Especially when you can only have a limited amount of food at a sitting. I love fish so I eat a lot of that. My doctor told me not to use protein shakes and those really helped me. Has anybody else been told not to use protein shakes?
Yes, we were told very early on NOT to use them but my doctor ended up approving for me to have them 2 weeks post op because I can’t force myself to eat something if I’m just going to throw it up. He would have rather had me drink them then not get enough nutrients. Now that I’m almost 10 weeks post op, I just use them for my iced decaf coffees every morning. I can only drink 2/3 of them though and it takes me hours to even do that. I’m more of a sipper any way lol.

My clinic encourages moving off of shakes as they are highly processed, poorly regulated, and given that you can't process more than 20-40g of protein at any one time, a lot of people overdo it, which is a bit of a waste. I keep some powder available for making chia seed pudding occasionally, but that's about it.

However, if that is how you need to get your protein, it's better to do that rather than go without. It's a critical component of the process.

Back