• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein

I don't drink actual protein shakes but use the Fairlife Nutrition drinks (not a powder) to get my protein. At about 8 months post op my nutritionist had me increase my protein to about 90 grams per day. It has worked for me and and have gone from 490 to 225 (as of today) since June 30, 2020.

I'm nearly 3 months out. I've given up my protein powders that I used when power lifting and have gone exclusively toward the premixed drinks. At 6'7 with my target weight of 255lbs my required minimum protein is 130g. I'd never make it on food alone. Powders were a discovery process though as I discovered the amount of sugar in them can and will set off your gut into flatulence if not potentially dumping syndrome. I've tried Orgain which used to be one of my favs, Atkins, Premier Protein, Fairlife, Muscle Milk and a few others. Currently I try to stay at or under 30g of sugar per day which typically comes from protein drinks. I believe this is where doctors may have some concern. I had some bariatric advantage meal replacement protein and it took me more than a few days to cleanse my system of that stuff. I had just dropped $70 on orange creamsicle flavor that I was looking forward to also. My preference on flavor is the Chocolate and Coffee Fairlife followed by Premier Protein Chocolate and Strawberry Cream followed by the Atkins Strawberry. The Atkins while lower in protein is also substantially lower in sugar and still tastes good. I hung up the Orgain as I can no longer get past the taste of Pea Protein.

WazzuCong is absolutly right that you need to be careful. You'll see now many protein drinks show high amounts of protein but your body cannot process more than 30g per hour (on average or 25-30g). This is also the second are where doctors may discourage the use of protein shakes. Here is why. The maximum amount of absorption is dependent on how much you are working out. Your body will only absorb what it needs and that need is increased by working out. When you work the muscles you are essentially tearing them down or creating small tears which the body needs protein to rebuild the muscle. About 30 minutes after a workout is the most crucial time for a post workout protein shake since the muscles are at their peak to absorb the maximum amount. Anything left over will be dumped out in urine (often detectible by odor). Therefore if you are not working out a 30g protein shake may not be your best option and a 15-16g drink may be a better one, but you also have to watch the sugar and calories of the lower amount of protein as these are often sweetened up. The beverages like the Fairlife Corepower at 42g of protein or Muscle Milk 40g would only be beneficial if you drink half and safe the other half until later or if your Eddie Hall, or Hapthor Bjornsson training for world strongest man/woman and eating food to keep it in your stomach longer with a serious amount of muscle mass that will use it. Earlier I stated I need 130g daily. That is if I am working out that day, If I'm not working out that day I cut my daily requirement from 1/3 to 1/2.

I would suggest anyone read this article and look at the recommendations for weight vs gram amount recommended to personalize it for yourself and use your target weight in the formula. Gainful The generalized 30g absorption rate I see is often in publications pertaining to men and not factoring women or their absorption rate based on the need of their muscles. I brought up Hapthor and power lifting earlier and he and his wife are great examples. Thor (Yes from Game of Thrones) has a massive protein need, he is 6'7 and at 480lbs at his heaviest he was consuming nearly 10,000 calories a day, constantly force feeding himself, working out with extremely heavy weights throughout the day to develop that huge dense mass of muscle he carries around that is capable of lifting 2000lbs off the ground. A man that size absolutely destroys and rebuilds his muscles every day my maximizing his protein and rest at the end of his day. Since his world record lift a year ago he is sliming down significantly in preparation for a boxing match. His calorie and his protein requirements are not nearly as high as he is slimming down. That said, if you look at a picture of him along side his wife, would one really expect their protein requirements and absorption rates biologically be the same? I think not.
hafthor_bjornsson_wife_5.jpg

Oh my goodness, what good timing. I am in the same boat. I am about 9 weeks post op and having trouble getting in protein without shakes.
I know the good sources but it's the volume that is hard to achieve. 3 oz of anything right now is too much to hold especially if I stick to the golden rule of not taking one more bite when I feel fullness. Plus getting in your liquid with the 30-30-30 guideline.
Fullness pre WLS isn't something that ever crossed my mind, I simply ate what tasted good on the plate in front of me until every bite was eaten (then a second helping). But now I feel I should try and eat more at each sitting to get my protein in...

Paying attention to actual hunger and fullness (I believe) will be the only way for me personally to succeed long term+wise food choices. I hate to stray from that this early in the game.

Also watched the video posted on this forum about hair loss and not 'drinking' your protein so that concerned me as well.
I don't go back for 3 wks but may reach out to the dietician for help.

Oh my goodness, what good timing. I am in the same boat. I am about 9 weeks post op and having trouble getting in protein without shakes.
I know the good sources but it's the volume that is hard to achieve. 3 oz of anything right now is too much to hold especially if I stick to the golden rule of not taking one more bite when I feel fullness. Plus getting in your liquid with the 30-30-30 guideline.
Fullness pre WLS isn't something that ever crossed my mind, I simply ate what tasted good on the plate in front of me until every bite was eaten (then a second helping). But now I feel I should try and eat more at each sitting to get my protein in...

Paying attention to actual hunger and fullness (I believe) will be the only way for me personally to succeed long term+wise food choices. I hate to stray from that this early in the game.

Also watched the video posted on this forum about hair loss and not 'drinking' your protein so that concerned me as well.
I don't go back for 3 wks but may reach out to the dietician for help.
I had a visit with my dietician Thursday. She told me drinking one protein shake daily was ok, as long as I try to get at least half my 60 gms of protein through my food. I am almost 6 wks post-surgery.

Back