• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Puréed?

Wendi70

I will be able to move to puréed foods this weekend and I am trying to plan ahead. What did you find you tolerated best at this stage (the post op plan is two weeks of liquids, two of purée, 2 of soft then 'normal')
Also know that it varies but what volume of food would you say you ate at mealtime, a teaspoon/tablespoon? I have no frame of reference.
P.S. no fruits for at least a year

You can puree just about anything. It helps to add a little liquid such as broth or gravy to chicken, etc. Mashed white or sweet potatoes were fine for me as well as refried beans. It's hard to say about the volume. I think I could eat a couple of tablespoons if I remember correctly. Don't push it, eat slow and see how you feel. You can always put what you can't eat in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. As for fruits I have heard that some doctors tell you to hold off on them but most don't. What was their reason?

I started with a 1/4 cup of a food never ate that much but it gave me an amount to give my self. started with cottage cheese and refried beans. I found out I do not like blended food. I had a hard time with chicken. Well I still have a hard time with chicken 8 weeks out. I tried chicken again last night only 2 bites and I did not feel well.

Puréed chicken salad
Puréed egg salad
Puréed ricotta cheese w/1tablespoon of tomato sauce - heat in microwave. (If you can tolerate red sauce)
Puréed all types of soups
Puréed refried beans w/1tablespoon reduced fat cheddar - heat in microwave
Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes

I could not stomach the idea of pureed meat .. added gravy or not, just yuck. So I mostly stuck to mashed veggies (sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cauliflower), scrambled eggs and refried beans. I also started with a 1/4C, which is 4T. Even if you only manage 2T, it's an easy place to start.

You can puree just about anything. It helps to add a little liquid such as broth or gravy to chicken, etc. Mashed white or sweet potatoes were fine for me as well as refried beans. It's hard to say about the volume. I think I could eat a couple of tablespoons if I remember correctly. Don't push it, eat slow and see how you feel. You can always put what you can't eat in the fridge and reheat in the microwave. As for fruits I have heard that some doctors tell you to hold off on them but most don't. What was their reason?
I believe it's carb/calories. I go back for my 2 wk follow up next week and will ask more questions and perhaps bargain for a small amount.
Thank you for the ideas, much appreciated!

Puréed chicken salad
Puréed egg salad
Puréed ricotta cheese w/1tablespoon of tomato sauce - heat in microwave. (If you can tolerate red sauce)
Puréed all types of soups
Puréed refried beans w/1tablespoon reduced fat cheddar - heat in microwave
Mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes
Great idea about the retried beans, thank you for all the suggestions.
Sweet and mashed potatoes are a no-no on the food plan I received but think I may try sparingly.

I started with a 1/4 cup of a food never ate that much but it gave me an amount to give my self. started with cottage cheese and refried beans. I found out I do not like blended food. I had a hard time with chicken. Well I still have a hard time with chicken 8 weeks out. I tried chicken again last night only 2 bites and I did not feel well.
Thank you. Does chicken just make you immediately nauseous? Are you able to eat other meats?

Back