• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Pureed food?

canecorso81

When the doctor okays you to go to the pureed stage is there a certain way to do it? I just dont want to overdo it. Is there certain things I should stay away from?
My first planned pureed meal is a chicken broccoli puree bake. I cannot wait!!!

I was told by my dietician that you may want to go very simple at first before introducing a lot of combinations of food. For example, refried beans, pureed tuna with a tiny bit of mayo, etc. Although I'd love to start right off with some interesting recipes, I want to see how I'll react the first time I have semi-solid food in my new stomach. I have to say though, a chicken broccoli puree bake sounds pretty dang good! :)

My dietician also said this may be a good time to start working in not drinking 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after the "meal" since you need to start building that habit. She said it isn't and big of a deal until you get to soft and regular foods, but it doesn't hurt to start doing it with the purees.

I just finished puree last week. I was only able to get around a quarter cup of thinned out puree down to start with. Refried beans at normal consistency only about 2 tablespoons. It's surprising how much more filling puree is compared to protein shake consistency. Chicken broccoli sounds yummy though. Just make sure to chew, chew chew and eat slowly.

Yea I think I'm gonna save that and make it a meal I can have once I can have soft food. I'll prolky start out with refined beans as well. I hope my dr helps me . I don't see my nutritionist until end of August

I just finished puree last week. I was only able to get around a quarter cup of thinned out puree down to start with. Refried beans at normal consistency only about 2 tablespoons. It's surprising how much more filling puree is compared to protein shake consistency. Chicken broccoli sounds yummy though. Just make sure to chew, chew chew and eat slowly.
Did u have them for lunch and dinner? How long did it take eat the 1/4 cup

It's hard to imagine getting full with 2 or 3 oz of food. Although I'm not really hungry all the time, I feel like all the liquids I drink should make me feel full sometimes! It makes me feel like nothing is different, although I can tell my hunger is significantly different than it was before.

5 days to puree....not that I'm counting them down or anything....so tired of liquids!!

When I reached the puree stage, I had purchased baby food. GROSS!

But that gave me an idea. I love turkey and THANKSGIVING dinner. So I pureed four ounces of turkey in a blender, using a few tablespoons of gravy mix as the liquid to break it down. I used a tablespoon or so of reconstituted instant mashed potatoes and added them to the puree, along with a serving of canned cranberry sauce. Turkey has the highest ratio of protein, and the other ingredients were just added for taste, obviously. It was delicious.

There are so many entrees you can puree, like chili using beef and beans, or ham with sweet potatoes. Just visualize the food on your plate, then toss it in the blender in order from most coarse to least, using an attentive hand. You may begin you puree phase thinking you can't have potatoes, but if youre smart and measure tiny amounts, you can pretty much have anything.

Imagine a pureed pizza. Puree cooked Italian sausage, a few slices of pepperoni, an ounce of grated mozzarella, a shake of canned parmesan and a little pizza or spaghetti sauce.

Weigh, measure and calculate protein grams and calories before you puree the ingredients, then weigh and measure the serving you want to eat.

You can freeze packets of puree if needed.

Being able to have this flavorful kind of food after the torture of the liquid phases was just amazing. If you don't smoosh it all together in the blender at one time but blend from coarse to soft and add your soft ingredients last and just stir them with a spoon, you will have a delicious small entree in your puree food phase and even Beyond.

Eat slowly taking small bites and savoring each one in your mouth before you swallow. It will make you feel so normal and wonderful, you will never believe it.

Well, I suspect I'll be trying at least two different things. I've been thinking about refried beans and a little reduced-fat melted cheese, so I expect that will make an appearance on day one too. As far as I know, there's no harm in having something different at each meal, other than I guess giving your body enough time between meals to see how you respond. Soft scrambled eggs are also on my list. Hmmm, I may change things up and have eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch, and refried beans for dinner. I guess it all depends on how I'm feeling with each one when the day comes. I'd eat any of them right now!!

Im so nervous that I'm not gonna do it right. I dont see my nutritionist until aug 26. So are we to have 2-3 ounces of pureed food 3 times a day and 2 snacks? I'm so scared I'm gonna not do it right. I can only get in 45 oz of protein cause I cant stand the shakes and have tried everything to dumb the sweetness down. I feel my body is not going to be good cause I havent gotten in all my protein the one day I did I threw up all night.

Hi canecorso, I've attached pictures of my surgeons guidelines for the pureed stage. I hope it can help you! It was very helpful to have these guidelines at first. I know each of us are taught differently from our surgeons, so keep in my mind my guidelines may be different then what your surgeon recommends!! Good luck and enjoy your first meal :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200726-213221_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200726-213221_Photos.jpg
    863.7 KB · Views: 69
  • SmartSelect_20200726-213524_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200726-213524_Photos.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 80
Im so nervous that I'm not gonna do it right. I dont see my nutritionist until aug 26. So are we to have 2-3 ounces of pureed food 3 times a day and 2 snacks? I'm so scared I'm gonna not do it right. I can only get in 45 oz of protein cause I cant stand the shakes and have tried everything to dumb the sweetness down. I feel my body is not going to be good cause I havent gotten in all my protein the one day I did I threw up all night.
I had recently moved onto the chicken in a can and tuna and while i did not puree it i had chopped it up very fine so that there were no chucks. I took the full 30 minutes to eat it even though i could have eaten it in 5 minutes. What are you drinking for your protein shakes? I dont do actual shakes I drink the Chocolate Fairlife 30 grams of protein drinks and find it easier than some of the other that I have tried.

Did you get any printed guidelines from your surgeon or dietician? I'd start there. I asked my dietician if I should treat the purees like meals, and she said that wasn't necessary, but it is fine to try it that way to get ready for soft foods and more regular meals. It's really just about what you can tolerate and what feels right. If you are super worried, remember some people are on liquid diets longer than a couple of weeks, so if you start out with one pureed meal and the rest liquid, it's not going to set you back or anything. See how you feel after that first pureed meal and move on from there.

You don't have to force yourself to have two or three pureed meals and snacks, you can just fit in a pureed meal somewhere between protein drinks and water, etc.

Im so nervous that I'm not gonna do it right. I dont see my nutritionist until aug 26. So are we to have 2-3 ounces of pureed food 3 times a day and 2 snacks? I'm so scared I'm gonna not do it right.
If you have instructions from your nutritionist, you can follow those guidelines. I didn't have a lot of specific foods recommended but I did eat a lot of cream of wheat, cottage cheese, yogurt, homemade blender drinks, soup and scrambled eggs. Are you using Magic Milk? That was the way I made my protein goals really easily. Simply use magic milk which has twice as many protein grams as regular milk and make sure that a lot of your pureed diet is dairy-based. The recipe is in the archives. Just do a search for Magic milk.

Use it instead of water when you make a cream soup or a hot cereal or anything else that would ordinarily be water-based.

You should know the protein content of everything you eat before you plan to eat it. I ate a lot of turkey because it was 36 protein grams / 6 oz. There are a lot of other proteins you can eat that have double-digit protein content. Try to work with those.

Don't eat sliced sandwich meat. It's way too polluted and you are not getting your fair share protein and you're getting way too much salt possibly sugar and bad calories. Use roasted breast meat in chicken and turkey with no skin and no bones. If you eat beef, eat the leanest beef you can get.

I used the USDA food values site in order to know exactly how many calories and protein grams are in each item that I wanted to eat or did eat. Now there are many sites that that give you protein content. I don't know how accurate they are but you don't really know how accurate your intake is either because you don't necessarily know when you have consumed an ounce or whatever. You may be a gram or two off.

Here's one: How Much Protein Is in Chicken, Beans, and Other Common Foods?

You can eat anything you can put in a blender and smash down into a puree. Get creative and follow your own personal preferences. You're shooting for something that really closely resembles baby food.

Back