• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question, Does anyone feel sick after eating after having the sleeve ???

Hi,
I had my surgery on Sept 27th. My surgery didn't go well, was suppose to have the by-pass but my Dr. Couldn't do it because of too much scar tissue in my abdomen so he did the sleeve. That caused a lot of trauma in my abdomen from him trying for an hour to free my colon. I gained 14 lbs after surgery from all the fluid...and held it for 2 weeks. Which most of that time I was sick, and not doing well at all.
It's been a little over 2 months now, but I still feel sick almost every time I eat something.....or even drinking, especially plain water.
Was wondering if anyone else had this trouble.....
I have tried shakes, smoothies, soups, meat.....nothing really sits right....

Was wondering if you had any suggestions for me....I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
Kathy

Are you still taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor?

You really need to talk to your surgeon, nutritionist and the nurse about what's going on..

The PPI's such as Protonix and Dexalent are 2 of the many out there.
They help to slow down the acid production in your belly.
They help to protect and keep your pouch safe from to much acid and foods and such that may irritate your belly.

I am 1 month post surgery as of today! I chose the sleeve, 20 pounds lighter. But very sick most of the time. Reading some of the posts it looks like this is the norm?? My surgery was textbook the Dr. said from which I am thankful. But I am already worrying about gaining weight. The Dr. Said about 4 1/2 months out we will talk about the next phase of this journey of weight loss. Anybody got suggests or their story of how they are doing 1 month out and beyond ? Would love to hear from you.

I am 1 month post surgery as of today! I chose the sleeve, 20 pounds lighter. But very sick most of the time. Reading some of the posts it looks like this is the norm?? My surgery was textbook the Dr. said from which I am thankful. But I am already worrying about gaining weight. The Dr. Said about 4 1/2 months out we will talk about the next phase of this journey of weight loss. Anybody got suggests or their story of how they are doing 1 month out and beyond ? Would love to hear from you.
Welcome to the forum. Everyone's journey is so different, it's hard to compare yourself with others. The only problems I have had post-sleeve is if I eat too fast or don't chew something like chicken enough. Then it feels like a heart attack in your stomach--not a good feeling. Keep a positive attitude and don't worry about the future. It will take care of itself.

Cocoabeachshark, what does your Surgeon say about this? Definitely talk to him about it. Some questions:
1. When you drink do you sip?
2. Do you use a straw? If so please stop, too much air.
3. Do you gulp? If so, sip, too much air otherwise.
4. Do you chew your food really well? If not, it will cause nausea.
5. Do you eat too fast? If so slow down, it should take about 30 minutes to eat, otherwise it will cause nausea.
6. Do you take big bites? If so, take much smaller bites, otherwise it will cause nausea.

First and foremost, talk to your Surgeon and Nutritionist, you are far enough out from surgery that this shouldn't be happening all the time. Please let us know how you're doing.

Frank

:cool:

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I get nauseous sometimes. I found that if I stand up to eat, just take tiny bites, like nibbles and move around while I chew this helps me to keep the food down. I would get nauseous then throw up everything I just ate or drank. This has worked for me. But my doctor also gave me medicine for nausea and antacids. I a also found that the meds he gave me for pain also allowed me to eat without the pain of going through the esophagus and then into the belly, then in the belly. Plain water is the worst. Warm herbal tea like licorice root tea and other digestive teas help too. Ask your doctor for medicine for your nausea and if you have any pain meds left over try taking some before a meal to see if that helps too. After a while you won't need the pain med. but most importantly talk to your doctor and ask him/her first if you do take take pain medicine and anything else you are doing. Hang in there it will get better. Good luck, be patient, stay positive.

Hi,
I had my surgery on Sept 27th. My surgery didn't go well, was suppose to have the by-pass but my Dr. Couldn't do it because of too much scar tissue in my abdomen so he did the sleeve. That caused a lot of trauma in my abdomen from him trying for an hour to free my colon. I gained 14 lbs after surgery from all the fluid...and held it for 2 weeks. Which most of that time I was sick, and not doing well at all.
It's been a little over 2 months now, but I still feel sick almost every time I eat something.....or even drinking, especially plain water.
Was wondering if anyone else had this trouble.....
I have tried shakes, smoothies, soups, meat.....nothing really sits right....

Was wondering if you had any suggestions for me....I appreciate the help.

Thank you,
Kathy
Do you have allergies? I was feeling nauseous most mornings and my nutritionist suggested taking my allergy meds at night rather than in the morning. Problem solved! All that post-nasal drip had no where to go with my small stomach.

Gosh I wish I'd known I could take my allergy meds. I was gagging a lot in the beginning due to a sinus infection. Course my doc did prescribe Azithromax ( my preferred antibiotic) because the infection dropped into my lungs while I was in the hospital. I forgot all about that. Anyway I do know that the post nasal drip I had contributed to my nausea. So thanks for passing that on, Karenina.

I haven't had any problems with my sleeve. I took Ursidiol (to prevent gall bladder issues) and a anti-nausea medication (as needed) after surgery. I discovered that I didn't need the medicine for nausea if I just took my time eating and stopped when I felt full. I always ate my protein first just to be sure I was getting enough in. Like Karenina, I continued my allergy medication and I also have stayed on my C-Pap machine. I think it dries my sinuses out sufficiently that I don't have to worry about drainage, because that is something that upsets my stomach. The only time I feel nauseated is if I eat too much or eat too fast. Good luck to you!

Back