• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question Just joined

Hi Sheila, you can have flat diet pop, and alcohol, but be careful, some WLS people have absorption problems and are super susceptible to alcohol. You get drunk way faster and are more liable to get addicted to alcohol...just sayin'.

Hi Sheila, Welcome. Carbonated beverages are out but is worth the trade off. As for the alcohol you must be very careful, I can attest to that, if not you can be in a world of hurt before you know it. I am still trying to get things streightend out in the wake of what I call my bump in the road (alcoholic bottom), that being said I would still have the WLS surgery. If you do try the Daiquiri remember to use real strawberries and non surgar mix, surgars can cause dumping (upset stomach to vomiting and cold sweats). Not everyone develops a problem with alcohol just be more careful than I was. :cool: Tom

Thks

Thks for your advice tom I great appreciate it. I 2 am still figuring out what is right and afraid at the same time of what to expect I was craving ice cream last night and I had 2 spoons and I was ready for my grave.
[/LIST]
I'm still new at this. Taking everyone's advice to be more focused and aware Thks.

Hi Sheila, did you have your WLS yet and what kind, I am guessing you already had it if icecream made you sick:( it was past and white breads for me those thing had me down for about 45 minutes before I felt better really I had some cherry pie last thanksgiving that didn't agree with me either. I am 2 years out and still finding out what I cant and can do. :cool: Tom

Sheila-Just stay away from sugar and fat and you should be OK. Stick to the foods that are on the meal plan that you should have received from your surgeon or nutritionist. I would also avoid alcohol entirely as it will be very irritating to your new anatomy and also could become addictive very quickly, especailly if you drank it on a regular basis before your surgery. Food addiction is often quickly replaced with alcohol addiction after weight loss surgery for people who had a history before surgery. Nothing wrong enjoying a strawberry smoothie made with ice, skim milk or water once your meal plan allows you to eat strawberries :)

Thks

Sheila-Just stay away from sugar and fat and you should be OK. Stick to the foods that are on the meal plan that you should have received from your surgeon or nutritionist. I would also avoid alcohol entirely as it will be very irritating to your new anatomy and also could become addictive very quickly, especailly if you drank it on a regular basis before your surgery. Food addiction is often quickly replaced with alcohol addiction after weight loss surgery for people who had a history before surgery. Nothing wrong enjoying a strawberry smoothie made with ice, skim milk or water once your meal plan allows you to eat strawberries :)

Pat would u share with me how u plan your meal plan and what u can tolerate in foods? Plz. Still very confused

Sheila-It sounds like you haven't had your surgery yet otherwise you would have been given written documentation which includes your meal plan, among other things. Here is a general guideline for the post op meal plan for RNY patients. There are 4 meal plan phases and each lasts from 5 to 10 days depending on how well you tolerate certain things. The first 5 days (Phase 1) are clear liquids which include clear broths, water, sugar free caffeine free non-carbonated beverages like Crystal Light, sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. Phase 2 is full liquids which include thin hot cereals made with skim milk and no calorie sweetener, sugar free pudding, thin instant mashed potatoes made with skim milk, low carb protein drinks, skim milk and tomato or V8 juice, sugar free applesauce plus everything from Phase 1. Phase 3 is pureed foods like cottage cheese mashed up with a fork, pureed lean meats and pureed eggs. You can add a small amount of fat free gravy or even lite mayo to the foods you puree and you can have everything from Phases 1 and 2. Phase 4 consists of very well chewed soft foods which are tender and moist plus everything from Phases 1 through 3. NO PASTAS, BREAD OR CRACKERS. I'm being very general here. Your surgeon or nutritionist should have given you more specific instructions which will also recommend when to start adding certain foods until you are back to eating "normal" food but in much less quantity. Most people won't want anything for the first week or so but it's critical to have enough fluids and to have enough protein after the first week. The amounts will be defined in your instructions but is usually 64 ounces of fluids minimum daily and a minumum of 60 grams protein. Ounce for ounce the protein drinks count towards your daily fluid requirements

Back