• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question???

mergatroid

Ok peeps I'm going to bite the bullet and prepare myself for the onslaught of answers here. But first let me say that I am having this surgery because I have
high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high liver enzymes, sleep apnea, am hypothyroid and have tons of family members with diabetes. I started this journey earlier
this year weighing 219lbs. My doctor told me to lose 10 pounds before surgery. I have lost 25. Now my question is, should I continue with my new diet and try
to lose more before surgery or not? I have heard that you should lose as much as you can AFTER surgery during the "honeymoon" phase to get to your "set weight".

You will still lose weight after surgery because you will be eating less. Your small pouch won't hold much food and you won't be getting real food right away anyway. If you can lose a few more pounds before surgery your anesthesia will go better and the doctor will have more room to work. At least that is how it appears to me. Good luck on this wonderful journey!

Joy

I don't know, I'd worry about your BMI dropping too low. You might just want to maintain what you have for the next 4 weeks.

Mergatroid-The MAIN purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so that the surgeon has enough room to perform the surgery laproscopically. Of course there is the added bonus of losing weight :) Call the nutritionist to see if you should postpone your dieting until a week or 2 before surgery. Following the pre-op diet that was given to you for the 1 or 2 week time period you are supposed to follow it will shrink your liver enough. Your BMI may drop too low if you lose too much weight but you should still have enough co-morbidities to keep you qualified for surgery but you should still discuss this when you talk to the nutritionist. I heard that once you have your initial consult and your weight and co-morbidities are reported to your medical insurance provider is the only communication made to your insurance until you actually have your surgery. That being said, your insurance has no clue you have lost additional weight. The exception to this is if your insurance requires you to follow a weight loss diet before they approve you for surgery.

Mergatroid, I was put on the liver diet and the doc requested I lose 15 pounds before surgery. This is to shrink the liver, so they can operate. I doubled his requested weight loss and my wife suggested I cancel surgery and continue with the diet. I know me and it would have worked for a couple of months, but once I stopped I would have gone back to my old habits. With the surgery I can't go back to the old habits, I have to make new ones. I think Pat is right, check in with your team and see what they recommend.

Back