• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions on meals after Roux-en-Y-Gastric Bypass Surgery

I just had the Gastric Bypass surgery on the 2nd of April, 2013. I am so comfused on how to do my meals. I was never one to understand what was a starch, a fat, a protein, etc. Now I can't figure out how to plan my meals because I'm going by the one specific meal they gave me on paper & I'm getting tired of it now. This meal is:
1/4 cup blended beef with broth 1 meat
1/4 cup blended green beans 1 vegetable
1/4 cup mashed potatoes 1 starch
2 teaspoons diet margarine 1 fat

I can't figure out different meals consisting of different things. Could someone please help me. I am on Stage 2.

I would like to make an actual daily meal planner for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Here's a stab at describing how we eat with RNY. Always, always protein first. Your protein comes primarily from meats, cheeses, dairy. Drink/eat your protein first. Then after your protein is gone, if you still have room, eat your veggies, starch, and fat until you are full, or you run out of your measured food. Always measure your food. On Stage two, you may not feel really full because these are liquids and they move quickly out of the pouch. If you would like to message me your email, I can send you a copy of my Stage Two from my program. I think it might help to see a weeks' worth of meals. Also, you are a brand new post op. For this two week period, or until you see your doctor again, fluids are the most important thing right now. Do not let yourself get dehydrated. The protein goals will come, but you need to be sipping, sipping, sipping right now. How is your pain? Are you walking? Let us know if you need anything. These first few weeks are difficult.

If you find some recipes please share. I have to have two weeks menu made out and Dr approved before surgery.
Best wishes

Congratulations on your new surgery! My surgery was on March 20th and it has been quite a ride. For the first week, I was allowed the phase 1 diet which included clear liquids such as broth, sugar-free popsickles, jello, and my protein shakes. That was it!!! On week two, or phase 2, we were allowed full liquids which included low-fat cream soups (strained), fat-free and sugar free puddings, light-non fat yogurt, fat free plain Greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, proti pudding and not allowed was chicken noodle, etc. We also could have clear broth or bouillon, fat-free milk or fat free soy milk. That is it!! No starches what so-ever and our nutritionist is crazy about sticking strickly to the diet. I'm on phase 3 now, which consists of baby foods and liquids. We can also blend ours in a blender, but everything has to be the consistency of smooth paste. I have found the best thing that I can eat is a deviled eggs. So many things make me nauseas and I have to take about 3 baby spoon bites and wait about 30 minutes to see in my pouch likes what I just put in there! lol! Blending all of my food has been a trip! I will stay on this diet for until April 15th when I go back to my nutritionist to have the "Phase 4 Class". My phase 3 meal ideas include 1/4 cup of egg or chicken salad, yogurt, 1/4 cup pureed turkey or chicken, 1/4 cup pureed BBQ, and we can have 1/8th cup of pureed cabbage, carrots, mashed potatoes, peas, cantaloupe, pineapple, or unsweetened applesauce. Missirenee said exactly what my nutritionists said about always eating my protein first and then eat any starches, such as the fruit or vegetables. I look at both the websites daily that she recommended and I always go to the Mayo Clinic too, because they describe all 4 food stages perfectly. I am wishing you the best of luck during this time because I have found it challenging to find something that I actually like now. All my tastebuds have changed, just as everyone on here predicted. Let us know how your doing and you can do this!!
- Laurie Ann

Back