• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Questions

I wish I would have asked more about what to expect after surgery. I had to change programs so maybe your program covered, I had some gaps due to the change in surgeons. I wasn't prepared for the pain. I know common sense should have told me that having your stomach removed would hurt, but somehow I only thought about the stitches. And for me the nasea and the cravings are the worst. Your body doesn't want to eat, but your mind does. I have read other posts that have had an easier time. So please don't let me discourage you, remember why you are doing this, a better life. I think if I was more prepared it wouldn't have been has hard. And remember there are no stupid questions.

hi Kerry628
hope you are feeling better, I am constantly thinking "food" I haven't had my surgery yet, waiting for my date, did all my test saw surgeon etc. did they ever tell you drinking liquid protein was a good as eating real food for the protein? I am having an issue with finding a way to get 60 grams of protein in a day, already tired of fish & chicken cause I 've used it so many times in the past on other diets, most vegetables don't seem to have alot of protein either,my surery should take place by end of june but I must get this 25 lbs off dr told me, walking on treadmill & using some weights for arm exercise have any suggestions?donna

I am making a list over the next few days of things to ask the surgeon. My daughter is going to my appointment with me on Thursday. I have trouble staying away from some carbs, like bread. I was told to modify my diet, so I limit myself on rice, pasta and breads, and am trying to stay away from soda. The problem in my house is that there are too many picky eaters and it seems like they mostly have junk, I can't keep eating the way they do. I am trying to go to mostly liquids, but it is so hard to do, but I know that in the next few weeks I will have to be only liquids, its just a hard transition right now, maybe because I know I am not required to do so yet.

Donna, have you tried eating cottage cheese to get some of your protein or tuna??

hi Kerry628
hope you are feeling better, I am constantly thinking "food" I haven't had my surgery yet, waiting for my date, did all my test saw surgeon etc. did they ever tell you drinking liquid protein was a good as eating real food for the protein? I am having an issue with finding a way to get 60 grams of protein in a day, already tired of fish & chicken cause I 've used it so many times in the past on other diets, most vegetables don't seem to have alot of protein either,my surery should take place by end of june but I must get this 25 lbs off dr told me, walking on treadmill & using some weights for arm exercise have any suggestions?donna

I LOVE burgers and found turkey burgers. I think they taste as good as a "real" burger. I also got veggie burgers but the protein isn't that great on them. I know I think I'm going to grow feathers and start clucking soon. I hate seafood but thinking of trying some fish just for a change of pace. My dietician loves eggs or eggs substitute. Since my surgery I'm having trouble with the eggs. I haven't found a protein powder I love but try to do one drink a day. I also found it isn't bad at all mixed into your sf pudding, especially during the liquid phase after surgery. The liquid phase is the hardest, I think. That's when my cravings where the worst and my appetite was non-excistent. And don't forget beans, again not a huge amount of protein but its a different taste. I'm also learning to try different flavorings, salsa instead of mayo, or a fat free black bean dip. I'm just entering my soft food phase and I miss veggies. The thing I crave the most right now is a salad and pickles. Sometimes it feels like I'm pregnant. I almost puked over the smell of ketchup, I loved ketchup. And what else I didn't expect is the sadness. I was sad a lot. Felt sorry for myself and you don't have food for comfort. I'm not going to lie its been hard, much harder than I thought. BUT, I saw my doctor and I'm down 35 pounds, he stopped my sugar pills, my cholestrol pill, and a blood pressure pill. Just 3 weeks after surgery. So it is so worth it. Plus I can't wait to wear sexy shoes. Please keep writing would love to hear how you are doing.

kerry, have you tried Jay Robb's protein, and egg whites, I hear they are great tasting and you can find single servings at local nutrition stores

Back