• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Recovery time

So my employer would like to know an approximate time post surg? When I’ve asked my dr or NP, their common response is always “everyone’s different- could be a week, could be 6 weeks..”. That variation in time isn’t calming my employer or clients at all, though they are supportive. I run a state-licensed daycare but I also help
a friend of mine with her bakery. I work a 9-10 hr day of moderate exercise. Just wondering what all of you have encountered as far as recovery.. was it excruciating pain for 5days and then it starts to get better? How long was it until you were able to do common everyday activities?
The dr also compared the pain to childbirth. I had all 3 of my children naturally, and only 1with an epidural, the other 2 with Tylenol. I was doing normal activities 3-4 days later. I just have no idea what to tell them, so they can find coverage.

I have not had my bypass yet but yesterday in the class I was told I could not pick up anything over 10lbs. for 6 weeks. If you do a lot of lifting of little of little kids then may want to take that into considerations.
Hopefully someone already post op will have some advice.
Sorry, I don't remember if you are having the sleeve or the bypass.

I have not had my bypass yet but yesterday in the class I was told I could not pick up anything over 10lbs. for 6 weeks. If you do a lot of lifting of little of little kids then may want to take that into considerations.
Hopefully someone already post op will have some advice.
Sorry, I don't remember if you are having the sleeve or the bypass.
Hi honeysgirl! I’m having bypass, which I know has a longer down-time than the sleeve.. 3 of my daycare kiddos are 4 and under; one of which wants held all day. And I know she’s over 20lbs. It will be difficult to have the kids understand.
The other day the 4 yr old told the cashier at Walmart who had asked her if she is going swimming responded saying, “No, we’re going to a splash park. Nana (what they all call me though I’m only 50), won’t go swimming til she gets her stomach open and can wear a swimsuit”. Yeah, these kids have no filter. Lol

I just had surgery on this past monday. I got out of the hospital on wednesday. I am here to tell you. I was able to drive home because I had not had pain meds since monday. I have been up and getting stuff done of course with help. But I was able to do it. The doctor told me to not pick anything up that will strain my stomach muscles. That is all. And that all depends on how well you take to getting up and moving and how well you can handle the pain. The more you move the less the pain.

Hi Mama & congrats on your progress. I do want to say, for the benefit of anyone reading whose not a superwoman like you;), that it's not about how much pain you can withstand. Doctors tell you not to do things like driving because you might get smashed into & with your surgical incisions & altered digestive system, you could bleed to death or suffer horrible internal damage. Doctors want you to heal up before you strain or break or push or pull something. I asked this of a doctor once because it irritated me to be told I couldn't drive for a month, & that's what he told me. I never thought about it before, or how many ways you can pop a stitch or bust a gut (literally) by picking up a kid or slipping on the stairs or in the shower.

I'm glad you're home & feeling so good!

Hi Mama & congrats on your progress. I do want to say, for the benefit of anyone reading whose not a superwoman like you;), that it's not about how much pain you can withstand. Doctors tell you not to do things like driving because you might get smashed into & with your surgical incisions & altered digestive system, you could bleed to death or suffer horrible internal damage. Doctors want you to heal up before you strain or break or push or pull something. I asked this of a doctor once because it irritated me to be told I couldn't drive for a month, & that's what he told me. I never thought about it before, or how many ways you can pop a stitch or bust a gut (literally) by picking up a kid or slipping on the stairs or in the shower.

I'm glad you're home & feeling so good!

I had asked the doctor before doing so. Don't worry I was smart about it. He said with my anxiety it would be better for me not to go into a attack with him driving. Even more because his first response is to stop and calm me down. So doctor told me to drive as long as I am not on the pain meds. So that is what I did. I got home safely. When I went to get things done I had 2 or 3 people making sure I was not doing anything besides telling them what to grab. I was not even allowed to seperate the meat into meals. So I have good sons because they have went above and beyond to keep me from bending over or picking up anything. My 6 yr old even helps me. And I am not allowed to shower with the bathroom door closed. If so they walk in like every few seconds. If they hear a noise then they all come running. My husband has been looking a the sites and making sure they are perfect and everything. Even my brother-n-law came in today and checked my sites. He asked me questions and made my husband move some stuff around to no be in my way

I just had surgery on this past monday. I got out of the hospital on wednesday. I am here to tell you. I was able to drive home because I had not had pain meds since monday. I have been up and getting stuff done of course with help. But I was able to do it. The doctor told me to not pick anything up that will strain my stomach muscles. That is all. And that all depends on how well you take to getting up and moving and how well you can handle the pain. The more you move the less the pain.
I love to hear you're back home, MamaBear!! And I bet the family is happy you’re back and safe. You drove home after your surgery? My gosh! What’s the saying..? Can’t keep a good woman down!
How are the first few days? Are you doing normal routine household chores? Did the pain subside quickly for you? I’m wondering, if this is at all a correlation, but did you have quick recoop after having kids?

Doctors tell you not to do things like driving because you might get smashed into & with your surgical incisions & altered digestive system, you could bleed to death or suffer horrible internal damage. Doctors want you to heal up before you strain or break or push or pull something. I asked this of a doctor once because it irritated me to be told I couldn't drive for a month, & that's what he told me. I never thought about it before, or how many ways you can pop a stitch or bust a gut (literally) by picking up a kid or slipping on the stairs or in the shower.

Just in case my message got lost in this conversation, I am reposting the most important words. Your doctor gives you a list of things you can't do and there is a good reason for that.

Post-surgical restrictions that doctors give you are important. You should follow them to the letter. Each person has a unique experience, but these cautions are given to you for a reason. It's especially important not to drive. You can die from internal bleeding from a simple fender bender after having surgery if you are not healed. Everyone has to make up his / her own mind, but my point in mentioning this is that doctor's instructions are there for your own safety.

I love to hear you're back home, MamaBear!! And I bet the family is happy you’re back and safe. You drove home after your surgery? My gosh! What’s the saying..? Can’t keep a good woman down!
How are the first few days? Are you doing normal routine household chores? Did the pain subside quickly for you? I’m wondering, if this is at all a correlation, but did you have quick recoop after having kids?

I lived in pain for the past 10 years. I have deteration of my spine. I have pushed through it and back in 2013 after having my baby they said they only way to get better is to lose weight. In 2014 I woke up on morning not being able to breath because of it. I had my mother take me to the hospital to get checked. She left to go to her doctor's appointment and when she was on her way back she had a car accident and died. I swore from that day on that the pain was on in my head. And since it has. I only notice pain when I am really badly in pain. But I did not want no one else to suffer to help me. So When I moved to florida I did the most possible to lose. weight. Strick diet and walking. Keeping my self so busy that there was no time for pain to show. My kids was normal deliveries and I came home and was right back to doing the normal. I am not doing chores but that is because the kids will not allow me. I can only supervise right now. I walked soon after surgery and kept walking through everytime I had some pain. I did not want to stay on pain pills. They are addictive and I do not want nothing come between me and my kids.

Just in case my message got lost in this conversation, I am reposting the most important words. Your doctor gives you a list of things you can't do and there is a good reason for that.

Post-surgical restrictions that doctors give you are important. You should follow them to the letter. Each person has a unique experience, but these cautions are given to you for a reason. It's especially important not to drive. You can die from internal bleeding from a simple fender bender after having surgery if you are not healed. Everyone has to make up his / her own mind, but my point in mentioning this is that doctor's instructions are there for your own safety.

Diane I heard you. I was safe. And the doctor was too. He looked into my driving record before clearing me to drive. And I had his permission before I did so. I know my restrictions that is why I am not cleaning house right now. When I tell you I am a safer driver then my husband is. So when I say my anxiety shoots it is because my husband has been in about 4 recks in the past 2 years. Not all his fault but he could of pervented them. I keep back from all the other cars and make sure I have time to stop and I signal a turn ahead of time. I was very cautious before because of having my kids. I do the speed limit. I don't take chances while I am driving. I never answer my phone and I don't play with the radio. I promise diane I was safe and I was able to make it home without having an anxiety attack because I had not had my medicine since monday because of being in the hospital. So the doctor was trying to keep anxiety down.

I lived in pain for the past 10 years. I have deteration of my spine. I have pushed through it and back in 2013 after having my baby they said they only way to get better is to lose weight. In 2014 I woke up on morning not being able to breath because of it. I had my mother take me to the hospital to get checked. She left to go to her doctor's appointment and when she was on her way back she had a car accident and died. I swore from that day on that the pain was on in my head. And since it has. I only notice pain when I am really badly in pain. But I did not want no one else to suffer to help me. So When I moved to florida I did the most possible to lose. weight. Strick diet and walking. Keeping my self so busy that there was no time for pain to show. My kids was normal deliveries and I came home and was right back to doing the normal. I am not doing chores but that is because the kids will not allow me. I can only supervise right now. I walked soon after surgery and kept walking through everytime I had some pain. I did not want to stay on pain pills. They are addictive and I do not want nothing come between me and my kids.
I think you’re my hero, Mama Bear!

Diane I promise I was safe and everything. I have a clear driving record no wrecks at all. I am very cautious because I have had 2 parents pass from car wrecks. I do not want the same thing to happen to me or my kids. So I am always on the watch for signs of other drivers. from people turning without turn signals or someone who is swerving. If I see them I back way down and watch in a distance for anything I need to do.

I think you’re my hero, Mama Bear!

I am a normal person I swear by it. But life has always been tough and I had to be tougher. I gain more weight when my mother passed because after everything she did in the past she had became my rock and my strength. When I thought I could not handle it was her who pulled me through. She may not been good when I was younger but when I was grown she changed. I learned to forgive and the bond between us grew. When she passed she was on her way to get me. I blamed my self for the longest and depression sat in real bad. I gained up to 736lbs. I always stayed below 450 before that. So After a year of not being myself where my family is I moved. And it was for the better. I started losing weight. and I started to open back up and I was not blaming my self no more. I made good progress being away from there. Even though I am 2 hours away from where my father passed I am still good. My father passed when I was a baby so I don't remember him. But my mother was the bad that changed into something good. I grew strong and I am protective over my kids. But I would never of had the strength that I had to get through this if it was not for my life. I was blessed as a baby. Got the best traits from both parents. Kind and smart. Caring and strong. Funny and loving. Protective and supportive. But most of all I learned to be me. I am normal person everyone has traits and everyone learns how to hand everyday life. I just had to learn how to handle a little more then normal. But that is ok because I am happy with the results of who I am.

This is from the packet I got before surgery as well. It states I can drive as soon as I was off pain meds. I was of pain meds Tuesday morning. Monday night being the last time I had pain meds

@Ann Elizabeth Mahony 69, I only plan to be off 6 work days, including surgery day. I work behind a desk, so it's not strenuous. I was also advised no lifting anything over 20 lbs. My surgery is scheduled for 07/29 (sleeve). My doc's recommendations include driving can resume once off pain meds for 24 hrs.
@MamaBearOf4, your story is incredible. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother, especially in the manner she passed. I can imagine the guilt associated. Sometimes moving away is what is needed to get pass or through difficult situations. Congratulations on the success of your current wt loss. Keep up the good work!
I love reading about the success of everyone; it helps to know what's ahead for me.

[QUOTE="QueAnd, post: 39768, member: 13146
@Ann Elizabeth Mahony 69, I only plan to be off 6 work days, including surgery day. I work behind a desk, so it's not strenuous. I was also advised no lifting anything over 20 lbs. My surgery is scheduled for 07/29 (sleeve). My doc's recommendations include driving can resume once off pain meds for 24 hrs.
@MamaBearOf4, your story is incredible. I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother, especially in the manner she passed. I can imagine the guilt associated. Sometimes moving away is what is needed to get pass or through difficult situations. Congratulations on the success of your current wt loss. Keep up the good work!
I love reading about the success of everyone; it helps to know what's ahead for me.
[/QUOTE]

Thank. When I moved I got better and the depression was not as bad

Diane I promise I was safe and everything.
Oh, I wasn't worried about you, MamaBear. And maybe things have changed since I had surgery so long ago. But that's not the only surgery I have had in my midsection. And every surgeon has sent me home with the same instructions. Like I said, when I asked, I was pretty much enlightened as to the reason why. It would have been really awful, even to be rear-ended and thrust into the steering wheel. Wouldn't have been my fault, but I might have had to go to the hospital with internal injuries because of it.

I actually had about 30 friends (since 1967) who have died or become paralyzed or brain-damaged in auto accidents. Lots of them were motorcycles. But none of them were their faults. So just to underscore the reason I tagged onto your post, it's because it is seriously risky to drive, even on your best days. But it's potentially fatal to drive after surgery, because of other drivers who might cause an accident that harms you.

There's nothing wrong with taking it super-easy after having major surgery that has rerouted your digestive system. I'm glad doctors actually mention some of the common ways that you can be harmed until your incisions and staples/stitches have healed.

they did not even do staples or stitches on me. They did the new liquid stitch. There is nothing they will have to take out. I only go back to the surgeron to make sure I healed perfectly fine. I was shocked when I seen it the first time. But they are staying close and healing fine. They have changes it way up since you have had your surgery. I was just wanting to put it out there that even though I drove home from the hospital it is not going to be like that for everyone. I was able to get off pain meds within a day from surgery. I was lucky for that. I was lucky for not bruising like most I have seen. I was lucky to be able to get up and out of bed a normal way without pain. I am even lucky to be getting all my fluids this early on. Some will have a harder path but if they work towards their goal they can make it to. Part of me being able to handle this is because I have lived in pain for the past 10 years with my back so pain that is tolerable I do not feel. It takes alot to be like that. But all they have to do is listen to the doctors and do as told and they will get through it as soon as possible. The paper I showed was the paper they gave me before surgery. I knew about it and I even ask the surgeon and then the discharge nurse. Just to be safe. I have been at home mainly since and I only drive when I need to go to the doctor for the boys or something. I send my husband to the store. unless it is something I need. Because I am a little picky about the things I need now. But believe me I am still at home resting and taking it easy.

Back