• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Reformed Fatty

Hello all...I'm new to the community. I am 7mo post op RY Bypass...I'm a mother of 3 (b21y g18y d(dog) 4mo) I am in the proverbial:D rut with my surgery, I am constantly thinking I've stretched my pouch(it's all in my head I'm sure), I was searching the web for post-op recipes cuz I'm not eating as I should...I can't even find the right mixture for a good protein shake. I am hoping that by joining a forum where there are more people understanding my concerns and experiences will help me flourish and reach my potential.

hi ReformedFatty I can relate to your dilema, for I too keep worrying about stretching out my pouch. You have done wonderful with such a great weight loss in a short period of time. I worry about what I am eating all the time, yes I admit that I eat the wrong things too. I worry because I used to get full eating a few bites, now I can eat 2 eggs with a piece of cheese on toasted wheat bread sometimes even a slice of ham on the sandwhich. before I was doing good to eat one scrambled egg. there are times when food feels like it's stuck in my chest, like yesterday cereal felt like it was stuck in my chest I ended up throwing the cereal away. It seems you never know what foods work one day and next day nothing. some foods don't taste the same either. I can now drink coffee but it tasted terrible up until 2 weeks ago, I had my surgery 9-20-12. I still have 60 pounds I want to loose, others say just 30 and I would look fine, but I have my mind made up of how I want to look. Been overweight most of my adult life. 56 now and want to make the years I have left be good ones. I have twins age 19 and a 30 yr old. my twins are identical girls they were my late life blessings.
Do you have days where you feel hungry all the time and other days where you can go for hours and not eat? This room has been so helpful to me since I joined it before I had the surgery. I too haven't found a shake that i enjoy, I tolerate some but have been bad about not drinking one daily, this is something I know I must go back to. I know they say" protein first before anything else. it's hard to get in 60 or more grams of protein a day. may I ask what your typical day of food is? It's nice to meet you and look forward to chatting with you again.
Donna

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information on this site. It may be buried as old posts, but just search on topics you are interested in, and they will show up.

OMG...Bigtallsis, we are like the same person! I have been searching everywhere for the perfect protein drink...I have spent so much money on bars, pre-mixed drinks and powders and I still can't find anything that I like....I even tired mixing the powders in my hot cereals, smh that still didn't work. I get discouraged and won't eat for days because I feel as though I'm eating too much, but my nutrionist tells me it's all in my head and I'm not overeating...I even requested an x-ray to check the size of my pouch :(

I had to cut off my hair cuz I'm not getting enough protein in my diet and it's causing hairloss....it's so discouraging and I have a friend who had the surgery a month before me and she drinks her protein shakes twice a day and has her snacks and dinner meal and is losing at a much faster rate...grrrrrr!

Welcome to the Forum. There are a bunch of great people here. Ask anything on any topic and you will get some great insight and answers.

I too worry about stretch. They say you can tell when you are full and yet, I haven't had that feeling. I do eat small portions, and I don't feel overly hungry, but I've never had that "feeling" others talk about. I have seen days where I've eaten too much, but never felt bad. Sometimes I wonder if they really did cut my stomach down, or just made it look and feel like it. I know that's ridiculous but sometimes....

:cool:

fkrebs, YES! I've had that same thought, like did they really do a surgery (though I have had other struggles which prove they did). Knock on wood, I've never had that helpless I-took-one-too-many-bites full feeling either. AND I do feel hungry at times whereas most people say we won't feel hungry for months out. I do a lot of head shaking. Lots to worry and wonder about. Mostly, I try to move forward, but...sigh.

hi don't give up that's the key, your friend is loosing more because she is able to consume the protein which they say we need to maintain being healthy plus it also speeds up our weight loss. today was a good day for me. had my egg sandwhich and didn't get hungry for hours , what a great feeling. are you taking your vitamins? they will help with hair loss, I have loss some hair but the vitamins help. I think all of us worry about our pouch and overstretching etc. I hope we hear from others whom had there surgery years ago and whom still are keeping the pounds off, I like hearing there stories too. we made the choice to have the weight loss surgery to get us healthier we are gonna succeed one pound at a time. what does your friend eat for her snacks? does she share our concerns about our pouch stretching out? I know we are not alone others are facing the same issues as us. but we must eat and skipping meals they say is a no no cause it causes the body to go into starvation mode which stores fat so we are better off getting some form of protein in there . you've done so well with the weight loss so far, are you doing a lot of exercise too? I think I did more exercise before surgery trying to reach the dr goal of weight loss beforehand. I have an exercise bike and a treadmill but I haven't been faithful on either one. I am determined that 2013 is gonna be a good year and we are gonna reach our goals. you live in Michigan, are you close to any lighthouses? One day my dream is to travel and actually be able to climb the stair 's and make it to the top of a lighthouse and have my pic taken. I best get myself on my treadmill and build up my stamia so my dream can come true. walmart sells a viatamin called for hair skin and nails and it truly works for me. I have strong healthy nails now and my hair is thickening up, others say they just take biotin and our daily vitamins our dr have us taking. hang in there it's gonna get better.Donna

Welcome, Weigh-She-Go! Just remember that we are all different for various reasons and don't let that discourage you. I do not compare myself to others who have had the surgery because I have various other medical conditions, and what is my personal best is MY personal best. Most days I get in one shake and have made it a New Year's resolution to have that shake first thing in the morning for breakfast. I feel it starts me off in a good frame of mind. My shake of choice is a ready-made one from Sam's called Premier Protein because it tastes good and has 30 g of protein. I like getting that whopping 30 g into me right out of the gate.

I have always been a very slow loser from the age of 9 until I reached my 60's. (Yes, I've been tested for various problems at least once every couple of years for the past 50 years and have seen some of the best physicians my city has to offer.) If I ate what I considered a well-balanced and normal diet of about 1200 calories, I would not lose at all or I'd gain. I had hoped that after the RNY it would be different, but it is not. The only thing good about it is I feel somewhat vindicated after doctors telling me all these years that I had to be eating much more than I realized, that I was lying to myself and to them, etc. You all know what I'm talking about if you have been fat for many years.

Fkrebs and Dragonfly, I've been wondering the same things as you have since my surgery about 5-1/2 months ago. I have never felt too full, never had any sort of sick feelings, never felt I didn't want that extra bite. I also am not overly hungry which has been a blessing because I follow the plan exactly that the doctor and nutritionist have given me. The fact that I've been successful at all is because I follow the guidelines, use a small plate, take only the serving size I'm allowed, weigh most things that I haven't yet learned how to eyeball, and am making myself satisfied with my weight loss thus far--59 pounds. After all, through past experience I never would have been able to lose that much on my own in a million years. In November, I only lost 2.2 pounds and in December only 5 pounds, but it is still a loss.

Besides losing weight, my main reason for the surgery was to help my diabetes. Unfortunately, I am one of the 1% or whatever the percentage is that the surgery has not helped with my blood sugar. Since I've been on insulin for about 7 years, the staff at the hospital said after surgery I might not be able to stop it entirely but hopefully I would be able to decrease the dosage. The opposite has happened which is quite perplexing as my AIC was higher than ever before and my PCP has increased both my long-acting and regular insulin. It doesn't make sense to me because my meal plan is low carb and added sugar is almost non-existent.

Even with all of the above, I am happy that I had the surgery and will continue on my plan no matter how long it takes for me to lose more weight. I hope that as I lose more that my blood sugar will improve. I am positive 99.9% of the time and am very happy as my clothes become looser and I can go down another size. I also feel better overall, so what's not to be positive about.

Back