• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Rewarding yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkrebs

Hey everyone,

One of the things I used to do when dieting is reward myself when I hit a certain weight loss goal. Normally is was something to eat that I shouldn't have. Of course that started the slippery slope downwards. So the question is, how to reward yourself for hitting major and minor goals. I promised myself when I broke 300lbs, I would buy a new computer, which I'm typing on as we speak. At 250 I decided to try scuba diving lessons. Two weeks ago I broke through 250, at 244.6 right now. So last night I took a three hour intro course and I fell in love with it. I really need to get certified so I can do more of this. It is an absolute blast. My next major goal is 200 even. What should my reward be for that? I'm thinking an underwater digital camera.

What are the ways in which you reward yourself for reaching major or minor milestones?

Frank

:cool:

It sounds like you are having fun. I can't say that I have done anything like this. I also have a hard time setting goals, because if I don't reach them then I feel bad about myself. I have done that way too long. I think what I do when I hit a small goal is do a happy dance for me. I give myself credit for my hard work despite the challenges we all encounter. This is a big deal for me. I have beat myself up most of my life when it comes to weight loss and my inability to maintain a normal weight. It feels good to beleive and trust in myself that I can do this one day at a time.

Hey Frank, we're practically neighbors, I live outside of Raleigh.:) I think if you're going to enjoy the scuba diving, definitely go for the underwater camera next. You could get some amazing shots. When dieting before, I also used food to reward myself, and as we know, that will not be an option for my new life. Some of my rewards are going to be pedicures, massages, things like that, that I like, but don't get often because I don't really need them. And one of my first goals, is to get back in my kayak. It's been 3 years since I've been in it and I'd like to lose 40 pounds to get back into my boat comfortably. I'm very excited about that one. It had become a favorite hobby before I got pregnant with my daughter. Then we packed the kayaks away and I packed on the extra pounds. So I'm super excited to get out there and paddle around with my husband and little ones.
-Jenny

I have always rewarded myself with expensive, lavish items. Things that one normally doesn't buy for ones self. I think this go round, since it is going to be the last go round, my rewards shall be different. Maybe this time simple things. I haven't put too much thought into rewarding myself. Living longer and staying thin would honestly be reward enough for me. This time, with the surgery as my tool, I am hopeful that once I reach 130lbs again I can remain there for longer than 2 years this time. A lifetime of maintaining that weight is what I will find rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back