• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sad and dismayed

Karenina

I hope I was missed in the last 2 weeks. I had a sudden and unexpected attack of diverticulitis. The pain in my abdomen started on Sunday (the 2nd?). By Tuesday a fever started and by Wednesday I took myself to the emergency room, somehow expecting a bad gall bladder, I don’t know why. They admitted me for a week and blasted me with antibiotics and God knows what else. I can honestly say I have never been as miserable in my entire life. I’m home now, but it’s hard to eat and drink and I have no energy.
They say the next step is to remove the sigmoid colon because after 1 incident it is likely to happen again. I’m really too tired to google anything about it, so was hoping some of you might have had a similar experience. Not that I would wish this condition on my worst enemy.
I’m sad and dismayed that I will probably have to shelve my plans for WLS until I can get through all these other medical problems. My surgeon’s office says the insurance company will “hold” all the prep work I’ve done for 6 months to a year, but then I’d probably have to start over.
I’ve never felt so old in my life. I feel like I am never going to feel better, although the rational part of me knows that is foolish.
Maybe this is a sign that I’m not supposed to have WLS. I had the passing thought that my new and improved diet that I’ve been on in prep for the surgery may have precipitated the attack. I got that idea when I read something about undigested food gathering in the small intestines. I have been eating so healthy in the last 6 to 8 months, maybe I brought it on myself. Feeling very, very low.

Karenina-Sorry to hear about your ordeal. At least the problem was identified and corrective action taken. Don't blame your healthy diet for causing the problem. Just try to take things as they come and have whatever surgery is needed in order to get healthy enough to have WLS. Sometimes we hit a few bumps in the road and need to be strong in order to reach our goals. Please keep us posted.

I don't wish diverticulitis on anyone ever. I have had two bouts with it but neither required hospitalization. I was miserable though. Hope you mend quickly. Maybe by pass isn't for you but there are other procedures you might want to discuss with your surgeon. Joy

Oh how awful for you. But if you had the surgery and that happened it could have been a lot worse. I think it was more your body telling you have problems with your colon. I have mine checked every two years. I had diverticulitis, and IBS also. Also Barretts disease. I did run into problems with my bowels 2 days after bypass. It was corrected surgery while I was there. I am 8 weeks and pain free. I still have to take my test every 2 years. But I have no more IBS or pain. Get yourself all taken care of. Then go ahead and have your surgery, if that is your wish. I shall remember you in prayer.
Angie

Karenina, So sorry to hear about your unexpected medical problem. I know you have been a source of support and encouragement to all. Well it is time to take care of yourself. I want to be as supportive to you as you have been to me. Anything you need just ask. Regarding WLS I agree with what Pat said I don't think it has to be off the table if that is what you still want. I know how hard you have worked these last 6 months in preparation for it, but obviously first things first. Sending out positive thoughts and healing vibes to you. You have been missed so keep us updated on how you are doing.

Thanks all for the positive encouragement. I am finally feeling a little stronger since yesterday. I think my condition was very serious as I had abscesses that had to be lanced and pus pockets throughout my gut. I'm just not used to being sick and it was very hard. I will follow through with the surgeons and see what my gastro doctor recommends, too. I'll keep checking in. Thanks.

Back