• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Should We not Question?

Karenina-I have to agree with your surgeon. I took a very long list of questions with me when I had my surgical consult and I did not even think to ask about excess skin. My surgeon was very patient and tuned in to my questions and when I was done he said he never had a patient that asked so many good questions. There are a few people in this forum who have had or are considering some sort of surgery to remove excess skin, mostly tummy tucks and underarm skin. I was watching an episode of The Biggest Loser a while back and saw an interview of 2 ladies who completed the program together. Both lost in excess of 100 pounds but only one needed to have excess skin removed. The one that didn't need skin removed was nicknamed "the human rubber band" *LOL* I didn't realize until then that some people do not end up with excess skin. I have a lot more weight to lose but so far the only areas with excess skin are my underarms. Unless I have issues with infection or irritation I highly doubt I will have any surgery. I plan on just wearing clothes that camoflage everything *LOL* I am such a coward when it comes to pain that I feel it just isn't worth it plus I'm 58 years old and don't see the point. For someone who is younger or who likes to be fashionable I think the skin removal surgery is the way to go. It's just one more choice to make.

hi to all of you. i am 72 years young. i am seriously considering the sleeve. i have diabetes ll,heart bypass,severe sleep apnea etc. everything that morbidl obese people have. it will really help all of those disorders and also help me to lose weight. i have been to 1 seminar already and have not been able to determine if my
insurance will cover the operation. i have now found that it will be covered if i go to a center of excellence. i have already been cleared by my pcp and cardiologist. i even had a heart cath and he said i was good to go. i have friends who think i am crazy and friends who support me. it is a decision i have made and figure i can add years to my life by doing this surgery. i have read a lot of posts here. i have done a lot of research on the internet. my main concern is that the docter whom i am seeing at a center of excellence will not operate on me due to my age. the one surgeon who said i was a good candidate says he usually doesnt do surgery on anyone over 70. but he did say he would do my surgery. he hasnt done enough to qualify for a center of excellence. so here is hoping. i know this is a long post. my biggest question is regarding after affects of the surgery. what kinds of problems have been encountered. good and bad.

Hi polo. Welcome to the forum. I thought that I might be too old at 62 for the surgery, but my surgeon never mentioned my age, so I crossed it off my list before asking. I didn't want to put the idea into his head!
But think about it, you could easily live another 30 years, especially with your new healthy body, so age shouldn't matter.

Polo-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to have weight loss surgery. I have read that bariatric surgery is not usually done after age 70. However, I don't think that is written in stone. I also had to have my surgery done at a Center for Excellence in order to be covered by insurance. Make yourself a list of all Center for Excellence facilities that do bariatric surgery and call all of them to see if someone will do your surgery. I'm sure you will find a surgeon, especially since you already have clearance from a cardiologist and your PCP.

Since each of us are different, any problems you may have after surgery will be different depending on your general health. Throughout this forum you will read many examples but that doesn't mean it will happen to you. Look for a bariatric surgery seminar and attend it. Take a list of questions to ask the surgeon who will be there and you will get your answers.

Make sure you come back to the forum to let us know how things work out for you.

Hello Polo,

I am 69 and asked if I was too old for the surgery. He smiled and said I just did a 76 year old man last week. You are not too old. He said it depends on more than just age. I was rushing toward the end of my waiting time because he had to do an EGD and I had to have a stress test done because my cardiac cath was too old for his liking. The center I went to is supposedly number one in Florida for the third year in a row. Call the centers close to you and ask about age requirements.

I haven't had the surgery, but I do find the information on this site to be valuable. Like with any research, you have to take that these are personal experiences and know that your experience is probably going to be different but still have some of the same roads as others. I have been struggling with the decision to have this surgery for 8 years now. After having an extreme health scare, I decided I have to do what I have to do to be healthy for myself and my family. I do have personal insight to the surgery because my mother had it done 10 years ago. She has had a slight weight gain (approx 30lbs) and struggles with it back and forth, however she does not EVER regret having the surgery. She is at a considerably healthy weight, however the 30lbs she is currently struggling with is to get to a weight that she felt the best at. Struggling with those 30lbs, but still being healthy is a far better "struggle" than what she went through when she was obese. As with "skinny" people or overweight people and even the obese... there are always struggles with weight. This surgery is not a "cure" for obesity it is a tool. Just like, i'm sure you could screw in a screw without a screwdriver, however having the right tool makes it easier. One of the biggest things my mother has told me as I struggled with the choice is... if you are not 100% sure then do not do it. It is a life changing surgery and things you could do without thinking (like taking OTC meds such as Ibuprofen) you can't do. You have to be committed to this surgery and the "rules". Your outcome depends on it. I have a great support with my mom but I love to come here as all I have is her experience. I like to read other's experiences and get their advice. Also your doctors tell you to "be cautious" because of all the smut that is out there. Most doctors view the internet as an EVIL tool because so many times people come into their office with internet information and self diagnose their problem and it causes the doctors a hard time to effectively treat the patient. As long as you keep an open mind about what you read you should do fine!! :)

Well Hollie, fuel for thought. I guess I am still teetering on the fence. I have other vairables in my life. I also am the cargiver to my husband ,so going through the process of the surgery and aftercare seems, at least to me, not doable. I am trying to work out other aspects as well. I must admit I am rather low these days and have been avoiding this site. but when I open my other e-mail account and read your input it helps me. I want to thank you for that.

I just don;t know what will happen for me. but I hope all of the rest out there in the bariatric world the very best. So many have gievn such wonderful advice and support. I can't write anymore....

Back