• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleep Apnea Test?

I keep hearing people mention a sleep apnea test. Does everyone have to have the test? I've never had trouble sleeping.

I didn't have to have the sleep apnea test, I have no history of sleep apnea thank goodness, I have a friend with that and he can only get a good nights sleep with a special mask to help him breath while he is sleeping, he says with out it he wakes up tired and feel horrable in the morning. Sleep apnea is common from what I hear and it is also one of the co morbidity factors they consider when looking at approving people for WLS epecially when they are near the minimum BMI weight. :cool: Tom

Dear Barbara, you may have to have symptoms in order for your doctor to order a sleep apnea test. Most people that carry a lot of weight around their chest have some form of sleep apnea. but it's probably not a requirement by the insurance companies. That would just be one more thing they would have to pay for. Bad.
I was pretty sure I had it because both my husband and a friend I shared a motel room with told me I snored a lot and quic breathing during the night. I'm hoping that the WLS resolsves the sleep apnea.

Back