• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve or ?

Badgy

Hi. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this but I'm tryng to decide which is better for me. My neighbor said she had the bypass because the sleeve is slower to lose weight and she said it's easier to fall back into bad eating habits.

My biggest fear is falling back. I'm a sugar addict. But I really don't like the malabsorption issues as I want to be healthy first and foremost long term.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

malabsorption is an issue no matter which surgery you choose. that's why your surgical team has to include a nutritionist. you can actually get better numbers after surgery than before, because you become aware of your body so much more, and you can feel it responding to you in a healthy way.

we're all addicted to one thing or another. sometimes, especially with RYGB, that portion of your stomach is removed that causes obsessive cravings. I didn't notice it happening to me and my surgeon was surprised. But at the same time, i didn't act on a craving. looking good and dressing well and feeling good and having the freedom to participate in activities like any normal, skinny person, were the things that drove me.

this is not to insult the sleeve people, but that's the surgery i wouldn't have, unless i also added the duodenal switch (VSGDS). Otherwise, the RYGB (Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass) is the gold standard. It's been the right choice for me, but I might consider VSGDS if I was having it today.

But all surgical choices come with challenges. maybe you could make a list of pros and cons, based on your research.

welcome to the group. read our stories and see what you think.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this but I'm tryng to decide which is better for me. My neighbor said she had the bypass because the sleeve is slower to lose weight and she said it's easier to fall back into bad eating habits.

My biggest fear is falling back. I'm a sugar addict. But I really don't like the malabsorption issues as I want to be healthy first and foremost long term.

Thanks!
Like Diane, I had traditional RNY. Based on this group's members, both surgeries have shown great results. Definitely poke around the site and ask questions. Our members are really open and honest about their particular experiences. Good luck and welcome!

B, are you going to continue to try to lose a certain number of pounds to another goal weight, or are you happy where you are? if you let nature take its healthiest course, will you continue to lose weight until it stabilizes naturally?

sorry, Badgy, i should have been more specific. i was asking that question of Brenda. I wish you luck and would ask you the same questions once you have surgery, then meet your first weight-loss goal.

B, are you going to continue to try to lose a certain number of pounds to another goal weight, or are you happy where you are? if you let nature take its healthiest course, will you continue to lose weight until it stabilizes naturally?
Hey Diane - I'm happy where I am because the surgeon predicts taking between 12-14 pounds of damaged skin/tissue in February. That will put me just into the "normal" weight range on the BMI chart.

That said, I'm going to have to see what my body wants to do. I won't be making any changes to my diet so if I keep loosing, I'll take it. ;)

I had thought my weight had already pretty much stabilized (I only lost a total of 4.2 lbs in October/November combined) but the shock of loosing over 4 lbs this week has me wondering... Was this week a crazy fluke or was I just in a semi-plateau for the last couple months? I am now lower than my previous all-time low. So have no frame of reference to know what my body is capable of.

My surgeon doesn't want me gaining or loosing any more than 10 pounds after my surgeries. So if I continue loosing at a decent pace, I'd probably want to postpone for a few months. I'd hate to do that because I was hoping to be healed for summertime but will if I'm still unstable, it's the sensible thing to do. So I'll see what happens the next few weeks.

I feel you're worried about the wrong things. First off, this isn't a race. The only person you're competing against is yourself. Don't pick a surgery just because one is faster to lose weigh than the other. Don't worry about how quickly other people lose weight. Everyone's journey is unique. Pick the surgery that is best for you. Not what gets you to the proverbial "finish line" the fastest.

Yes, malabsorption is something that happens. But to me, malabsorption isn't as big of a deal than the other health related issues that come with morbid obesity. I think we all know what they are. But you have to understand that there are pros and cons with everything. I believe that the pros of this surgery far outweigh the cons. Yeah, you have to take vitamins. But so what? You should be taking vitamins anyway. Everybody should be taking vitamins. Kids should be taking vitamins. I was already taking vitamins for years before I had the surgery.

You say you're a sugar addict. Well, you're still gonna be a sugar addict. This is not brain surgery. They aren't changing your brain chemistry. You will still like what you like. The temptations will still be there. The only thing any of these surgeries do is restrict the amount of food you can intake at one time. And even that can be reversed if you try hard enough. If you continue to eat unhealthy foods, this surgery really won't make any difference. You have to be willing to change your entire way of life. And the surgery can't help you with that. This is all you. This surgery is about 10%, and the other 90% is all willpower. But sometimes people need that extra 10% push to help them.

I feel you're worried about the wrong things. First off, this isn't a race. The only person you're competing against is yourself. Don't pick a surgery just because one is faster to lose weigh than the other. Don't worry about how quickly other people lose weight. Everyone's journey is unique. Pick the surgery that is best for you. Not what gets you to the proverbial "finish line" the fastest.

Yes, malabsorption is something that happens. But to me, malabsorption isn't as big of a deal than the other health related issues that come with morbid obesity. I think we all know what they are. But you have to understand that there are pros and cons with everything. I believe that the pros of this surgery far outweigh the cons. Yeah, you have to take vitamins. But so what? You should be taking vitamins anyway. Everybody should be taking vitamins. Kids should be taking vitamins. I was already taking vitamins for years before I had the surgery.

You say you're a sugar addict. Well, you're still gonna be a sugar addict. This is not brain surgery. They aren't changing your brain chemistry. You will still like what you like. The temptations will still be there. The only thing any of these surgeries do is restrict the amount of food you can intake at one time. And even that can be reversed if you try hard enough. If you continue to eat unhealthy foods, this surgery really won't make any difference. You have to be willing to change your entire way of life. And the surgery can't help you with that. This is all you. This surgery is about 10%, and the other 90% is all willpower. But sometimes people need that extra 10% push to help them.
I feel very attacked from this reply. Perhaps I am just overly sensitive but I came here for answers to questions, not lectures on willpower. No one here knows my struggles or journey. I'm just trying to find answers. Clearly this is not the place.

I feel very attacked from this reply. Perhaps I am just overly sensitive but I came here for answers to questions, not lectures on willpower. No one here knows my struggles or journey. I'm just trying to find answers. Clearly this is not the place.
Sorry if you feel attacked by my tough love. But that's what this surgery is. Willpower is the biggest part of this surgery. And I am not telling you anything your surgeons, or anybody on this board won't tell you. Before you have this surgery, they will make you sit through a 3-hour seminar, where they will lecture you on willpower. Then you meet up face-to-face privately, where they will again lecture you on willpower. Then they will test your willpower by demanding you to lose weight, and go on full liquid diets. And they will even delay or cancel your surgery if you fail to do what is asked. So you need to understand what you're getting yourself into.

It is wrong for you to assume what I know and don't know regarding this surgery. Or how I feel. Or anything really. I didn't come here for "tough love". Wow. You actually doubled down when I said I felt attacked. Wow.

Please don't write the group off, there are many of us here who want to offer you encouragement and support. You can ignore a particular member by hovering over their name and clicking "ignore". You will no longer see what they write.

Sorry if you feel attacked by my tough love. ... I am not telling you anything your surgeons, or anybody on this board won't tell you.
Hi Kay, I'm really glad that you mentioned tough love in your post. Now I have an insight into your approach that I didn't have before.

So let me give you some tough love in return. I am sincerely going to say this in the spirit of love and tutelage. First, you do not speak for me. I disagree with almost everything you say. But I do not challenge you and tell you that you're wrong. Everyone has an equal right to her or his opinion.

Historically speaking, the members of this group have bent over backward to welcome a newcomer, especially one who is struggling. She is vulnerable and she is not ready to see the far ahead future which is what you are talkin about.

In the spirit of tough love, I also want to tell you that the tone of your post resembled lecturing and sometimes you seemed almost angry at people who do not agree with you.

I think Badgy has enough on her plate right now and doesn't need to collect information worthy of a PhD dissertation. She just needs a few answers and a little bit of love and support. And that is the reason we exist, not to educate people about things relating to surgery, but only our own experiences.

I feel especially qualified to say this because I am a lot like you as near as I can tell. I have a tendency to be strident in my speech and to flat-out dismiss some people's opinions. But in general, I keep those things to myself. I do this because I support the harmony of this group. Radically differing intelligent opinion confuse a new Seeker of Health.

I was a member of the tough-love association long ago when I had an issue that required it. But as I got to know people and they shared their stories, one of the mothers there mentioned a scenario in which she exerted tough love and then left to go to the grocery store. When she came home her son had killed himself.

We are not all the same. We have such difference experiences and our healing process is often different. I have frequently shared stories here that no one else has ever experienced.

I like having you in the group and I actually do understand your position. But I would really appreciate it personally if you would just welcome people instead of educating them. As they continue their membership, questions will undoubtedly come up that you can answer. By then, they will have enough knowledge in the bank to be able to agree or disagree with you, or anyone else in this group.

And if all other thoughts fail, think of Mary Poppins and her Spoonful of Sugar.

Thanks!
I have had it all... sadly... started with a band that eroded and converted to sleeve - I did not have much success with sleeve because I developed severe GERD, leaving me with only option to revise to RNY. My experience is not uncommon, unfortunately. I would do a LOT of research. I wish i had done the RNY from the start. Although the process is all part of my journey, and I look for value in every step. Everyone's experience is different, but everyone should do as much research as possible to determine the right course for themselves.

Hi Kay, I'm really glad that you mentioned tough love in your post. Now I have an insight into your approach that I didn't have before.

So let me give you some tough love in return. I am sincerely going to say this in the spirit of love and tutelage. First, you do not speak for me. I disagree with almost everything you say. But I do not challenge you and tell you that you're wrong. Everyone has an equal right to her or his opinion.

Historically speaking, the members of this group have bent over backward to welcome a newcomer, especially one who is struggling. She is vulnerable and she is not ready to see the far ahead future which is what you are talkin about.

In the spirit of tough love, I also want to tell you that the tone of your post resembled lecturing and sometimes you seemed almost angry at people who do not agree with you.

I think Badgy has enough on her plate right now and doesn't need to collect information worthy of a PhD dissertation. She just needs a few answers and a little bit of love and support. And that is the reason we exist, not to educate people about things relating to surgery, but only our own experiences.

I feel especially qualified to say this because I am a lot like you as near as I can tell. I have a tendency to be strident in my speech and to flat-out dismiss some people's opinions. But in general, I keep those things to myself. I do this because I support the harmony of this group. Radically differing intelligent opinion confuse a new Seeker of Health.

I was a member of the tough-love association long ago when I had an issue that required it. But as I got to know people and they shared their stories, one of the mothers there mentioned a scenario in which she exerted tough love and then left to go to the grocery store. When she came home her son had killed himself.

We are not all the same. We have such difference experiences and our healing process is often different. I have frequently shared stories here that no one else has ever experienced.

I like having you in the group and I actually do understand your position. But I would really appreciate it personally if you would just welcome people instead of educating them. As they continue their membership, questions will undoubtedly come up that you can answer. By then, they will have enough knowledge in the bank to be able to agree or disagree with you, or anyone else in this group.

And if all other thoughts fail, think of Mary Poppins and her Spoonful of Sugar.
O'mygoodness. Thank you! Typically my pride doesn't allow me to accept help or defense, but you're right, I'm scared to death about this surgery and I'm vulnerable. I'm very grateful. Again, thank you.

My surgeon told me that the weight loss is about the same for both sleeve and RNY.
I had RNY because I had stomach issues, reflux ,Diabetes and HBP. I have already been off BP meds since I got out of the hospital.
I am still on one med for Diabetes at this time and I will most likely never be completely off Diabetic meds. That is just the bad genes in my family, nothing I can do about that.
I wish you the best of luck making a decision. We all have struggles that we go through whether it is food/sugar addiction, smoking or whatever.
We just do the best we can one day at a time sometimes one meal at a time( at least for me anyway).

Back