• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve or ?

But it is written on every respectable bariatric Clinic sites that sleeve surgery does not help with GERD and sometimes it makes it worse. I will leave you to do your own research on that and please correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure I saw that. Plus my gerd went away after I had RYGB. I had very low stomach acid left because of the surgery which cats away that part as well as the obsessive part that makes you want to eat all the time.

But it is written on every respectable bariatric Clinic sites that sleeve surgery does not help with GERD and sometimes it makes it worse. I will leave you to do your own research on that and please correct me if I'm wrong but I am sure I saw that. Plus my gerd went away after I had RYGB. I had very low stomach acid left because of the surgery which cats away that part as well as the obsessive part that makes you want to eat all the time.
I've read that too about the sleeve and GERD.

My surgeon told me that the weight loss is about the same for both sleeve and RNY.
I had RNY because I had stomach issues, reflux ,Diabetes and HBP. I have already been off BP meds since I got out of the hospital.
I am still on one med for Diabetes at this time and I will most likely never be completely off Diabetic meds. That is just the bad genes in my family, nothing I can do about that.
I wish you the best of luck making a decision. We all have struggles that we go through whether it is food/sugar addiction, smoking or whatever.
We just do the best we can one day at a time sometimes one meal at a time( at least for me anyway).
Totally with you on one meal at a time Mimi... sometimes one hour at a time when snacks are available. At my office, recruiting interns is a high-priority so there are candy stations all over the building (can't walk down a hallway without one). A fully-stocked kitchen (think multiple, free vending machines, it's actually someone's job to keep them stocked). They do weekly free breakfast (donuts, muffins, bagels... carbs anyone?), and lunches (pizza, wings, poppers & all the other deep-fried junk). It's a miracle that everyone there isn't obese! I have yet to cave in over a year with a single thing on this list but believe me, I've had days!!!

Totally with you on one meal at a time Mimi... sometimes one hour at a time when snacks are available. At my office, recruiting interns is a high-priority so there are candy stations all over the building (can't walk down a hallway without one). A fully-stocked kitchen (think multiple, free vending machines, it's actually someone's job to keep them stocked). They do weekly free breakfast (donuts, muffins, bagels... carbs anyone?), and lunches (pizza, wings, poppers & all the other deep-fried junk). It's a miracle that everyone there isn't obese! I have yet to cave in over a year with a single thing on this list but believe me, I've had days!!!
Can I get a job there, please?

Hi Kay, I'm really glad that you mentioned tough love in your post. Now I have an insight into your approach that I didn't have before.

So let me give you some tough love in return. I am sincerely going to say this in the spirit of love and tutelage. First, you do not speak for me. I disagree with almost everything you say. But I do not challenge you and tell you that you're wrong. Everyone has an equal right to her or his opinion.

Historically speaking, the members of this group have bent over backward to welcome a newcomer, especially one who is struggling. She is vulnerable and she is not ready to see the far ahead future which is what you are talkin about.

In the spirit of tough love, I also want to tell you that the tone of your post resembled lecturing and sometimes you seemed almost angry at people who do not agree with you.

I think Badgy has enough on her plate right now and doesn't need to collect information worthy of a PhD dissertation. She just needs a few answers and a little bit of love and support. And that is the reason we exist, not to educate people about things relating to surgery, but only our own experiences.

I feel especially qualified to say this because I am a lot like you as near as I can tell. I have a tendency to be strident in my speech and to flat-out dismiss some people's opinions. But in general, I keep those things to myself. I do this because I support the harmony of this group. Radically differing intelligent opinion confuse a new Seeker of Health.

I was a member of the tough-love association long ago when I had an issue that required it. But as I got to know people and they shared their stories, one of the mothers there mentioned a scenario in which she exerted tough love and then left to go to the grocery store. When she came home her son had killed himself.

We are not all the same. We have such difference experiences and our healing process is often different. I have frequently shared stories here that no one else has ever experienced.

I like having you in the group and I actually do understand your position. But I would really appreciate it personally if you would just welcome people instead of educating them. As they continue their membership, questions will undoubtedly come up that you can answer. By then, they will have enough knowledge in the bank to be able to agree or disagree with you, or anyone else in this group.

And if all other thoughts fail, think of Mary Poppins and her Spoonful of Sugar.
OK fair enough. I used the term tough love, because I didn't want to give the impression that I was attacking anybody. Everything I said is coming from a place of love. But in reality, it was just honesty. I just don't want to lie to anybody, and make them think that everything will be unicorns and rainbows. I want them to know the reality of the situation, because I care about them. And I don't personally see the problem with "educating" people. Especially when I can be of benefit. I would really appreciate it if you could expound on that. But most importantly, I don't want anybody to say "nobody told me about X, and that I was going to experience Y." I want everyone to be well prepared, because this is one of the biggest decisions you will make in life. I don't ever want anybody to think that once you have this surgery, it's smooth sailing for the rest of your life. OP specifically mentioned they craved sweets, and were afraid of falling off the wagon. I don't see what's wrong with telling that all those things will still be a lifelong struggle. I apologize if anybody felt attacked, or doesn't like being "lectured." But this is how I would like someone to talk to me. Don't tell me what I want to hear just to be encouraging. Just give it to me straight up. Tell me the truth and the reality of it.

Everything I said is coming from a place of love. But in reality, it was just honesty.

And I don't personally see the problem with "educating" people. Especially when I can be of benefit. I would really appreciate it if you could expound on that.

Don't tell me what I want to hear just to be encouraging. Just give it to me straight up. Tell me the truth and the reality of it.

I'm just going to address these points from your post and give you another resource to consult.

Allow me to give it to you "straight up:" you are using the word "truth" as if you actually know some universal truth that you've been ordained to share with people who are asking for help.

I re-read all of your posts from the first to the last and I discovered that at least three people expressed pain because you were not being supportive, but lecturing. One of those people left the group exactly because of what you said.

You expressed an opinion, not a truth. You have an agenda, which is to change the name of this type of surgery from "weight loss" to "weight management."

To state it plainly, you are wrong. The surgery is called weight loss surgery because that is the result of the surgery. Surgery of any type cannot manage the condition for which it was used. Surgery doesn't manage your tonsils after having a tonsillectomy. Surgery doesn't manage lung cancer after a lung is removed. In surgery which is corrective, something is removed in order to stop a pathology from growing or a medical condition from worsening.

And at that point, surgery is over. We have weight loss surgery. We do not subsequently require the surgeon to manage our weight.

I don't know why this is so important to you, but it is not your job to change the way people think. People come here with the most horrifying stories of what is happening to them and we give them support and gentle personal opinions.

We do educate to the best of our abilities, but we only use information that we have experienced and found to be proven fact or medical expertise that we quote. No one in this group is any kind of expert in weight management.

The group's mission as stated, and the reason it exists, is to discuss weight loss surgery, before and after.

If someone comes here asking for our opinions about which surgical procedure is best, our job is to give that person our opinion according to our unique beliefs..

It runs counter to the group's mission to warn them against having hopes of losing a lot of weight very fast.

You shared in an early post that you had lost 20 lb the first week following surgery. That proves you had weight loss surgery.

Whatever your need is to practice or define weight management, it has nothing to do with this group. We are here to support people. How much they lose and how fast they lose it is out of our hands. But it is not necessary to try to predict that they are going to fail so they shouldn't even try to succeed.

And that is exactly what you are preaching: Failure. Unless someone subscribes to your beliefs, they are going to fail. This is not simply my opinion. Reading the feedback to your philosophy proves that you believe they will fail unless they embrace what you believe.

After being lectured by you, the people who are now wondering why they even bothered coming here are turning to others for comfort. We don't coddle them. In general, we just say that everyone has a different experience and that they are free to disagree with any member whose opinion discourages them.

What you may see as education, I see as what we used to call constructive criticism. In reality criticism is not a bit constructive. It is judgmental. And criticism must be backed up by empirical fact, not opinion. Otherwise, it is just your philosophy and your opinion, and most of the time people would prefer that you just keep that to yourself.

I have been flamed a few times because my opinion is that no one should have surgery in Mexico. There is a lot of research behind that opinion, and if only because most insurance will not pay for follow-up after you returned to Canada or the United States, I believe it should be advised against. But a few people have violently disagreed with me. So now when someone says they're having surgery in Mexico, I just keep my mouth shut.

My opinion about surgery in Mexico did not cause anyone to leave the group or to express how much my words hurt them. But a lot of us who are struggling with the decision to have surgery to lose weight are extremely vulnerable. We do not need to have anyone in a support group try to dogmatically influence us. We need love and we need support and we need to know that we are okay. If we need help managing our weight afterward, that will come up in its own time.

So, thank you for inviting me to share my own truth with you, straight up, not to be encouraging, but to be honest, according to me. I assume you will not be offended by my words, since you can't imagine why telling anyone the truth could possibly be hurtful.

I'm not giving you any advice or trying to encourage you to change your approach. What you say has consequences. The type of consequence you would like to see is within your power. I'm out of it.

I get what Kay is saying about this being a lifelong challenge. For me, I still crave sweets and I have to battle back the urge to buy cookies at the grocery store. If I have one once in a while it won't hurt me but I know if I bring a bag I to the house that I will have 5 or 6 every day till they are gone! This is better than before surgery because then it would be like 5 then 5 more next hour...etc...I would munch my way through the evening! That's my addiction. This surgery is the best tool for helping me to stay in control.

I get what Kay is saying about this being a lifelong challenge. For me, I still crave sweets and I have to battle back the urge to buy cookies at the grocery store. If I have one once in a while it won't hurt me but I know if I bring a bag I to the house that I will have 5 or 6 every day till they are gone! This is better than before surgery because then it would be like 5 then 5 more next hour...etc...I would munch my way through the evening! That's my addiction. This surgery is the best tool for helping me to stay in control.
You say the urge to buy the cookies is still there but the surgery helps you stay in control. Can you please elaborate on why the surgery helps? Is it helping physically or psychologically?

Probably both. physically because I can't eat as much and also because I get satisfied sooner. Phycologically because I do get satisfied sooner and so I want less. I do still want though and I wish I didn't. But the want is coming from emotional reasons that I feel like I am still battling with and may always battle with. I'm 5.5 months out btw.

Probably both. physically because I can't eat as much and also because I get satisfied sooner. Phycologically because I do get satisfied sooner and so I want less. I do still want though and I wish I didn't. But the want is coming from emotional reasons that I feel like I am still battling with and may always battle with. I'm 5.5 months out btw.
I totally agree, I still have cravings too. The difference surgery made for me is that I'm able to control them now, instead of them controlling me. I don't think they'll ever go away completely but the happier you are with yourself, the more power you have against them. :)

Most of the time I just Find Food incredibly boring. I don't look at other people's plates and wish I could eat some of that and I don't press my face up against the glass of the bakery counter. I do most of my own cooking and baking and I find my food very beautiful because I subscribe to the old Japanese saying that you eat with your eyes. And after I have taking a few bites of my beautiful meal, l generally have to stop. After a few minutes I might be able to take a few more bites but if I have made a big portion, I usually have to throw it away. The exception is salads. I can make one gigantic salad in the morning with cheeses and meats and other vegetables in it and a very thinned down dressing which I tossed it in. I have a tendency to eat the salad for all three meals, although the evening salad is not anywhere nearly as good as the morning salad. You might want to write down some of your favorite dishes and while you're here, look in the recipes forum to see if any of them are there and have already been revised so they suit the bariatric food plan. And you might just write them down for yourself and then take each ingredient and figure out how you can substitute something that is better for each one. Food is a wonderful thing. I use it to nourish my body and I do not suffer because I'm not eating the way I used to eat. My body and my mind and my medical tests all bear this out.

Most of the time I just Find Food incredibly boring. I don't look at other people's plates and wish I could eat some of that and I don't press my face up against the glass of the bakery counter. I do most of my own cooking and baking and I find my food very beautiful because I subscribe to the old Japanese saying that you eat with your eyes. And after I have taking a few bites of my beautiful meal, l generally have to stop. After a few minutes I might be able to take a few more bites but if I have made a big portion, I usually have to throw it away. The exception is salads. I can make one gigantic salad in the morning with cheeses and meats and other vegetables in it and a very thinned down dressing which I tossed it in. I have a tendency to eat the salad for all three meals, although the evening salad is not anywhere nearly as good as the morning salad. You might want to write down some of your favorite dishes and while you're here, look in the recipes forum to see if any of them are there and have already been revised so they suit the bariatric food plan. And you might just write them down for yourself and then take each ingredient and figure out how you can substitute something that is better for each one. Food is a wonderful thing. I use it to nourish my body and I do not suffer because I'm not eating the way I used to eat. My body and my mind and my medical tests all bear this out.
I want to see food as nourishment and not a tasty drug that I must have. I truly hope to attain that balance. I'm actually looking forward to regaining my stamina to be able to run or aerobically trigger that high instead.

You have such a healthy relationship with food Diane. I hope that as I'm on this journey longer, I can become like you. :) I'm definitely eating way better most days but my old demon does try to tempt me. Most days it's just a faint whisper and I barely hear it. But there are times when I have to use all my strength to talk myself out of making the wrong choice. And once in a while, I make the wrong choice. I'll always be someone who has to remind myself that this is about progress not perfection.

I get what Kay is saying about this being a lifelong challenge. For me, I still crave sweets and I have to battle back the urge to buy cookies at the grocery store.

And of course I agree with that, but that's not what K was saying. She plainly said that bariatric surgery should not be called weight loss surgery but should be called weight management surgery. She has been promulgating that opinion ever since she's been here and it has not been helpful or kind to other people to say such a thing.

There are people and I think there's a lot of them, who have absolutely no problems after weight loss surgery, their brains adjust, they never gained weight again, and they live a new life full of healthy choices. These are the success stories and this is why people choose weight loss surgery.

But probably most of us struggle. But our struggle changes over time. You'll see this for yourself in 5 years for 10 years and with any luck, you will not be able to understand how you ever became obese in the first place. If you experience that, the credit goes to your weight loss surgery. You never would have been able to eat correctly without malabsorption and taking supplements and reducing the size of your portions unless you had weight loss surgery. That's all I was saying.

When someone comes here, they are looking for support. We do not need to keep reminding people that it won't be easy. Of course it won't! Anyone who has done any research into surgery knows this. It's life changing. We need to be here to show people that they are not alone. I do not lie to anyone but I do my best to shine a positive light on the sacrifices you'll make and the temporary complications that may arise. I think that's what people need in order to make such a huge decision that can potentially save their life.

Hi. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this but I'm tryng to decide which is better for me. My neighbor said she had the bypass because the sleeve is slower to lose weight and she said it's easier to fall back into bad eating habits.

My biggest fear is falling back. I'm a sugar addict. But I really don't like the malabsorption issues as I want to be healthy first and foremost long term.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I am quite frustrated after today's appointment with a new Nutritionist. I learned that the only surgery they are now performing is the sleeve, due to its lower surgical and post surgical complications.

SO SLEEVE IT IS, I guess. :-/

I am quite frustrated after today's appointment with a new Nutritionist. I learned that the only surgery they are now performing is the sleeve, due to its lower surgical and post surgical complications.

SO SLEEVE IT IS, I guess. :-/
Are there no other surgeons in your area? I wouldn't want you to settle for one surgery if you wanted the other.

Back